Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

High BMI and….

Hi,

I’ve got a consultation booked for sleeve surgery booked at a private hospital in the UK.
I have a BMI of 35, is this enough to go ahead with the surgery?
I don’t have any weight related health conditions, such as, I don’t have diabetes, although my brother has type 2, so I have a potential risk of it.

Any advice please, as I don’t want to be disappointed going for my consultation to be told I’m not eligible.

Warm wishes

colly

40 minutes ago, Colly22 said:

Hi,

I’ve got a consultation booked for sleeve surgery booked at a private hospital in the UK.
I have a BMI of 35, is this enough to go ahead with the surgery?
I don’t have any weight related health conditions, such as, I don’t have diabetes, although my brother has type 2, so I have a potential risk of it.

Any advice please, as I don’t want to be disappointed going for my consultation to be told I’m not eligible.

Warm wishes

colly

It should be. Its considered overweight. what is your weight and height?

Hi,

Thank you for replying.

My height is 5’5.5”

I weight 15.3 stone.

move read that you need to have a BMI over 35 and a weight related condition so be eligible.

kind regards,

Colly

I thought your BMI had to be 40 or over or 35 and over with a comorbidity such as diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, etc.

36 minutes ago, Colly22 said:

Hi,

Thank you for replying.

My height is 5’5.5”

I weight 15.3 stone.

move read that you need to have a BMI over 35 and a weight related condition so be eligible.

kind regards,

Colly

I have never in my life seen someone say their weight that way. I had to google that lol.

not sure what the guidelines are in the UK - or if it makes a difference if you're self-pay or not. But you'll find out at the consultation. In the US, if your BMI is below 40, as others have said, you have to have weight-related conditions (such as diabetes) to qualify.

It will completely depend on the surgeon. Each private center has their own BMI/health requirements. If they won't do it, and you feel strongly that you want to move forward, keep looking. You will find a surgeon if you keep looking. Best of luck!

If you are self-pay, I wouldn't think it would be an issue. I have seen people on here who had BMIs similar to yours who got the surgery and were self-pay. I'm not sure of the rules in the UK, and what your surgeon will agree to.

You will be fine, you are self pay. I was scared I would be too big, too old and have too many scars on my tummy. Everyone must be scared on their first consultation. I was put quickly at ease and able to ask questions. I was unsure which surgery I needed [ or which they would be able to do ] The surgeon explained them all and we came to the same conclusion, a sleeve. Dont be afraid something wont happen, I never will if you dont jump in with both feet.

My BMI was 34.3 (considered obese) when I was sleeved. BMI was too low for my insurance to pay, so I paid it myself. This was in the U.S.

If you are self pay I have heard of people with BMI as low as 30 having the surgery. If you are looking for insurance to pay it will probably be bmi of 35 WITH a comorbidity or BMI of 40 without. Don’t be so sure you don’t have a comorbidity though. Many overweight people have sleep apnea. Many teams will send you for a sleep study right off the bat.

Edited by ShoppGirl

You will be fine. My BMI was 34 when I had it done privately in the UK and I didn’t have any severe health issues relating to weight. They will take you through a screening process but that’s mainly to ascertain that you understand what the surgery entails and that it’s permanent etc etc.

I don't think you will qualify via the NHS but you should be fine if you go private.