Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2022 Surgery Buddies

1 hour ago, Shikin.k said:

I was wondering, do you have a “target weight” to achieve? I’m 5’4”. I’ve arbitrarily decided on 75kg/165lbs as my target for the year so that I can get a referral to the assisted reproductive tech clinic (there’s a max BMI of 25 to subsidised procedures where I live). My surgeon just says to continue with losing whatever weight I can. But I don’t know if I setting a target will work for me.

I’ve lost about 40kg/88lbs these past 6 months. The weight loss has starting to slow down because I’ve started to eat things other than Protein and it’s frustrating. I don’t want to backslide.

Oh also, how’s the Hair loss? Mine was TERRIBLE in June/July.

I do have a target weight of 190lbs I’m 5’5 I had started at 358lbs and am now at 258lbs I don’t know if my goal is reasonable but it’s just something to work towards and keep trying to get to it. Our bodies have been through a major change and we are not going to reach our goals overnight. We all have a lot that needs to change including tightening of loose skin which is also extra weight which takes longer to get rid of. Just don’t give up on your self and keep your eyes on your goal. It might take over a year to get that but it may not take that long. Just stay focused you got this we all do 😁

On 8/9/2022 at 12:53 AM, Shikin.k said:

I hope you’re feeling better. Loving yourself starts with the words you use in yourself. Remember that you are still the same you, your body still works the same way, just with lesser inertia. Before and after pictures that I take just for me help. Of course I see that my skin is sagging everywhere, my boobs aren’t perky or high, but I also see that I have smaller thighs, I can see the veins popping on my forearms after my workout, something that I would never have noticed before. Small things like that make me happy. Give your skin some time to recover. Your collagen will work for you.

I’m almost 40. Been overweight my whole life so I accept my skin and its folds are just like the surgery scars- they tell my story. Find what makes you happy with yourself, even if it’s just your more defined clavicle. And hold on to it. You’ll get to a place where you give thanks to your body for the home it is giving to your self and soul.

Thank you! I am definitely working on it. I agree - it's important to honor my body with all I've put it through. I still have days where I feel the same but I also have days where I feel wonderful. I have to acknowledge it will never be perfect and that is okay. Thank you for your kind words and hope you're doing well on your own journey.

Here's another progress picture. Thought I'd drop it in our Feb surgery buddy thread. As I lose more weight, my body looks more ridiculous. I think it's funny but anyone else dealing with stubborn fat and loose skin left on the mid section? I look normal with my shirt down but then i lift it up and it's a deflated beach ball hanging off my mid section. 20220902_195209.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

9 hours ago, fourmonthspreop said:

Here's another progress picture. Thought I'd drop it in our Feb surgery buddy thread. As I lose more weight, my body looks more ridiculous. I think it's funny but anyone else dealing with stubborn fat and loose skin left on the mid section? I look normal with my shirt down but then i lift it up and it's a deflated beach ball hanging off my mid section. 20220902_195209.jpg

I had mine Feb 7th and the same here I still have back fat and stomach has gone down but as you say a deflated ball and unfortunately my boobs are also deflated and saggy. Once I tuck it away under clothes you can’t tell but when I remove them it can be quit discouraging 😩 but I try and look at it in a positive way and just say that is a sign of all your weight loss if you had to pick one would you go back to all the weight or where you are now. I will take my loose skin and all the health benefits over all that extra weight any day.I will just say it’s part of my progress. We have to appreciate this part of the journey also because it is journey not a sprint. IT’S ABOUT PROGRESSION NOT PERFECTION. Make the best of your journey Every one who reads this post when you get down about where you are just think of where you came from not years ago but just 6-7 months ago and appreciate the progression.🥰

11 hours ago, fourmonthspreop said:

I think you look fabulous but just so you know a different cut of jeans would probably help if that bothers you. I think you are like me and have a larger waist then whoever they are making jeans for nowadays, lol. When I go jeans shopping I absolutely hate it. Until I find the exact right pair and I love it again. (I also buy multiples because they always discontinue them). I definitely do better with the higher rise jeans if you don’t mind those but if you shop around some of the lower or normal rise do have more generously cut waists. It’s like one out of each brand that is cut that way if that though so go to a store that has ALOT of jeans and plan to spend the day in the fitting room. I usually try them at the large dept stores but then check my phone to see if I can find them cheaper. I have had some luck at TJMaxx and Burlington too though if you have one of those or something similar. Most recently with Michael Kors. I also wear a size smaller in that brand so that’s aways good for the ego too. 😂

Edited by ShoppGirl

Hi everyone, I hope you are doing well! Can you believe that it’s been around 9 months since the surgery? How is everyone getting along? Good results? And I am curious to know how many calories everyone is eating these days. I am around 1,000-1200. I have lost around 60 kgs. Still the best decision I ever made! Sending good thoughts to you all!

On 11/14/2022 at 11:28 AM, Ka8T said:

Hi everyone, I hope you are doing well! Can you believe that it’s been around 9 months since the surgery? How is everyone getting along? Good results? And I am curious to know how many calories everyone is eating these days. I am around 1,000-1200. I have lost around 60 kgs. Still the best decision I ever made! Sending good thoughts to you all!

Hey! I haven't logged on in so long and was also curious how everyone is doing too. Here's an update on my life over a year post op.

Here is a photo of me way before my bypass, I think I wasn't at my heaviest yet but definitely pushing 320 lbs vs me last month while on vacation. I've lost about 130 lbs so far and am working on losing the last 9-10 lbs.

16817136_Screenshot2023-04-25at3_57_31PM.thumb.png.912148c1b0fb47a37b66338c3b8c616a.png unnamed.thumb.jpg.ba9586b104030bdffbb74f4aa45438cc.jpg

I am finding this is when things are getting real. The honeymoon phase everyone talked about it over and I didn't even realize it until it was gone haha! It's not a bad thing, it just means that you can never give up, even after weight loss. Half of the battle is over, now it's a new battle and I think it will last for the rest of my life because I have to work hard every day to fight my obesity.

I can eat pretty normally now. I aim for 1600-1700 cals a day but some days I might even get 1900 depending on how calorie dense my food is, then I tend to eat less calories the next day if that does happen. I walk 3-4 miles most days, gym 1-2 times a week and try to do some kind of outdoor activity on the weekend, usually hiking. I have been going slowly but I'm not unhappy with my progress. I'm just trying to watch my weight and enjoy how far I've come because I feel like a completely different person I can't even explain it...

I am also able to eat more than 60 grams of Protein a day now which is great because I lost a lot of muscle mass while losing all the weight after surgery. I eat 80-100 grams of protein a day. I am working on building my muscles back up, especially the muscles around my knees to help with my mobility (my being 340 lbs wrecked my knees). I am in physical therapy for my knees and do strength training with my boyfriend twice a week now.

The thing I struggle with the most is tracking Water but now that the summer is coming, I think it'll be easier to get in enough fluids since it's so hot where I live. I don't get food stuck anymore, very rarely if I've eaten too fast or food that is too hot will get stuck. I can still eat naughty foods in moderation too, too much sugar and fat makes me dump. Dumping for me means rapid heartbeat, dizzy, frequent urination, yawning, and nausea.

I have been out of therapy for a while and would like to go back, especially as my ability to eat larger portions returns. I still actively have to think and fight using food as a coping mechanism but I am pretty hopeful and just keep reminding myself not to give up.

How is everyone's Vitamin levels and blood work? Anyone deficient in anything/have advice on what to get checked? I have gotten colds way more frequently but it's only been in the last 3 months, could just be the seasons but historically I rarely got sick.

Just got my surgery date, February 6th! It’s happening!!!!!!🫣