Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2022 Surgery Buddies

26 minutes ago, SoCalEm said:

Hi! My program stresses lean Proteins at the stage I'm in (pureed), so I'm eating canned chicken breast, tuna, and sometimes egg salad. They cautioned me on sodium, which is usually very high in canned and condensed Soups. I think the concern is sodium can dehydrate you. Sounds funny, but I searched on Pinterest for simple recipes I could make at home and customize to my liking. Many of the pins link to bariatric patient geared sites with people years into their journey, so there's lots of insight and tips.

Hi and Thanks for answering. I looked through all my papers I was given and funny I don't see anything about sodium but I could be over looking it. I did see where chicken and stars and cream of chicken was ok which I ate the first week minus the chicken in the Soup. I felt kind of funny due to the carbs and sodium in it. Might be why I have only lost 3 pounds, 2 weeks tomorrow since surgery. I am not suppose to advance to solid foods till next week and actually the thought of anything solid even a egg doesn't seem possible. I am living on Soups, greek yogurt, fat free cottage cheese and Protein Shakes. I did eat a half a can of the deviled ham yesterday but kinda felt like I was in a no no zone, lol. I am not a big drinker, so getting the 64 oz down is a real challenge, I am using crystal light as a helper.

Anyone who had their surgery earlier this month starting to eat again?

Just had my first "pureed stage" food. I'm taking it slow texture-wise so I started with Soup. I am so happy to be cooking again. I made a big meal prep of broccoli carrot cream soup with unflavored Protein Powder. I sweated down some garlic, onions, oregano, black pepper, and very small diced-up carrots. I then added vegetable stock, low sodium, and half a small pack of frozen chopped broccoli. I blended together fat-free half/half with 2 scoops of unflavored zero card Protein powder (isopure 50 grams of protein total) then added it to the soup. I then transferred it all to my blender and made it very fine. It's not thick at all but the flavor is amazing after having nothing but sweet Protein Drinks for weeks.

I had 1/2 a cup with a teaspoon of cheddar on top. I didn't feel full after but I'm so scared about dumping so I just stopped lol. My dietician says I still have to have protein drinks to compensate if I feel I'm not getting everything through food. I will say it's AMAZING to get the taste of real food in my mouth. I personally hate sweets and sweet drinks so the Protein Shakes really are starting to gross me out. I'm excited to try my other pureed recipes and continue the journey! Hope everyone is doing well.

Hi there! I'm now a month and two days from my sleeve surgery on Feb. 1. It's been amazing to watch the pounds fall off - I'm down 25 pounds since surgery and 42 pounds since the start of my two-week pre-op diet. This week, I moved up from pureed foods to soft foods. That's *mostly* been a good experience, and I'm especially happy to have more variety in my diet now. The main challenge is that with soft foods, I find that chewing thoroughly and slowing down between bites is even more crucial than with pureed foods. I think due to stress and work busy-ness, I tend to be a fast eater. Well, I experienced the consequences of that today after eating some deli sliced turkey on saltine crackers at lunch - I ended up with severe chest pain and then had the dreaded foamies. So, I still have some adjusting to do as a result of the sleeve.

Also, I'm so annoyed that I didn't take all of my measurements right before surgery. I ended up taking them a few weeks ago and again today, and it's great to see the inches come off. If you haven't yet gotten the tape measure out, I encourage you to do it!

I hope everyone is doing well and recovering quickly from surgery.

On 2/28/2022 at 4:53 PM, Doddlemom said:

I have tried the clear Protein Drinks and loved them but now they seem really sweet, I haven’t add unflavored Protein to anything though. Thank you for the idea! What did you add it to?

I had this same issue. What got me through was the chicken Bouillon with added Protein that i purchased from BariatricPal Store. The sodium is high but I needed a break from everything sweet and it had the required protein.

you could try getting an unflavored protein and add it to a low sodium Bone Broth. It may be enough to get you through.

1 hour ago, Living_My_Best_Life said:

Hi there! I'm now a month and two days from my sleeve surgery on Feb. 1. It's been amazing to watch the pounds fall off - I'm down 25 pounds since surgery and 42 pounds since the start of my two-week pre-op diet. This week, I moved up from pureed foods to soft foods. That's *mostly* been a good experience, and I'm especially happy to have more variety in my diet now. The main challenge is that with soft foods, I find that chewing thoroughly and slowing down between bites is even more crucial than with pureed foods. I think due to stress and work busy-ness, I tend to be a fast eater. Well, I experienced the consequences of that today after eating some deli sliced turkey on saltine crackers at lunch - I ended up with severe chest pain and then had the dreaded foamies. So, I still have some adjusting to do as a result of the sleeve.

Also, I'm so annoyed that I didn't take all of my measurements right before surgery. I ended up taking them a few weeks ago and again today, and it's great to see the inches come off. If you haven't yet gotten the tape measure out, I encourage you to do it!

I hope everyone is doing well and recovering quickly from surgery.

I agree about the tape measure. Because although I seeing the pounds drop on the scale I can’t see it in my body yet. So I measured and found that I had lost inches everywhere as well.

I purchased the Rephno tape measure. It’s great because it digital so it’s easy for me to measure everywhere by myself.

image.jpg

Hi Everyone. I am suppose to advance to solid food on Monday and for some reason it scares me, doesn't feel like my stomach could handle even soft foods, is that normal? I have been only doing mushy this week and I did eat some yummy refried Beans yesterday about 1/2 cup or less and believe I ate them too fast because they kind of sat in my upper belly and when it finally hit my belly it felt bloated. Maybe it is just getting use to it. I do have a tendency to eat too fast especially if I am hungry. I was at the time, at least I think I was or maybe it was just something that was good.

Thanks for the tape measure advise, I am gonna do that.

I am 4 weeks PO now, but feeling very worried, since last week I started taking Vitamins, it may be a coincidence or not but the scale is broken, it was very nice to see one pound or half of one gone every day but for the last 8 -10 days the scale does not want to move, I even gain one or 2 pounds, it is driving me nuts!.

I finally can take the 64 oz of Water, I am eating 2 ounces of food 3 times a day and my Snacks are liquids or 2 oz of yogurt. I am walking 60 minutes in the treadmill every other day. I am making the 60gr Protein per day even taking those horrible tasting protein drinks. What does the scale want from me?!

I had my surgery on February 24th.
I am seven days out and very depressed. Honestly wish that I had not even done the surgery. I have waited to do this for SO long. I don’t understand my feeling. I just know that I don’t feel like “me” anymore.

Has anyone else experienced these feelings?

On 3/4/2022 at 10:59 AM, Lorilea said:

I had my surgery on February 24th.
I am seven days out and very depressed. Honestly wish that I had not even done the surgery. I have waited to do this for SO long. I don’t understand my feeling. I just know that I don’t feel like “me” anymore.

Has anyone else experienced these feelings?

Yes I am 7 days post op as well I did the sleeve and I don’t feel like me anymore but I still have hope that it’s just the newness of the surgery and it will get better. But you’re not alone in your feelings.

On 2/15/2022 at 6:01 AM, HuskyMommy said:

My surgery is also scheduled for 2/24. Pre-op diet for me starts this Thursday. I’m so tired of yo-yo dieting, fasting, low carb, high carb, low fat, Keto, etc. Getting ready for a new start! Good luck for surgery. You got this. We got this!

How did your surgery go? I remember you were having an MGB, too!

On 3/4/2022 at 9:17 AM, LaTiaV said:

I am 4 weeks PO now, but feeling very worried, since last week I started taking Vitamins, it may be a coincidence or not but the scale is broken, it was very nice to see one pound or half of one gone every day but for the last 8 -10 days the scale does not want to move, I even gain one or 2 pounds, it is driving me nuts!.

I finally can take the 64 oz of Water, I am eating 2 ounces of food 3 times a day and my Snacks are liquids or 2 oz of yogurt. I am walking 60 minutes in the treadmill every other day. I am making the 60gr Protein per day even taking those horrible tasting Protein Drinks. What does the scale want from me?!

There are a lot of sources that talk about a "3 week stall" that describes a temporary (maybe 1-4 weeks) halt in weight loss right around this time-- don't worry, it's normal! I've read that it's the body reacting and adjusting to the change (and making sure it's not starving). Some people say they have a big drop right after the stall ends and that they have other signs of 'progress' during this time. It might be a good decision to weigh yourself less frequently, like once a week or so, so that you don't agonize too much over the micro-ups/downs. I personally hit this stall for about a week, quickly lost another 7 lbs and then hovered there for another couple of weeks. Keep doing what you are doing, you are totally on the right track!