Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2022 Surgery Buddies

13 minutes ago, Doddlemom said:

Hi, I had my surgery February 17 and am in my two week liquid diet and starting to not like anything so it’s hard to get enough Protein. Any tips? Thanks

Have you tried the clear Protein Drinks? Or unflavored Protein you can mix in various things.

5 minutes ago, Doddlemom said:

I have tried the clear Protein Drinks and loved them but now they seem really sweet, I haven’t add unflavored Protein to anything though. Thank you for the idea! What did you add it to?

I only tried it with pudding because I bought it pre surgery and didn’t really need it because I found the premiere Protein fruit punch tolerable and then I found the caffe latte which has caffeine but if you are allowed that and like coffee it is much less sweet than most Protein Shakes. I still drink one a day at 11 months out.

My surgery is tomorrow morning and my mother and sister literally waited until today to tell me they think I am making the wrong choice and they wish I wouldn’t go through with it. [emoji2959][emoji2959]
I also had a lot of family say I was making the wrong decision. After talking with them, I found out their comments were coming from either ignorance (thinking I was giving up) , fear of the surgery not being safe or that it would change me and somehow make me vain/no fun when going out/etc. Shot all that down and told them I would like their support but I'm doing this for me with or without them. Most came around but not all.

Sent from my SM-G970U using BariatricPal mobile app

4 hours ago, Doddlemom said:

Hi, I had my surgery February 17 and am in my two week liquid diet and starting to not like anything so it’s hard to get enough Protein. Any tips? Thanks

Did you try Premier Protein drink?

I can imagine, I just had surgery on the 23rd and already dealing with tired of Protein Shakes. I find if I add sugar free Jello, its filling, tastes different and gives you the satisfaction of eating. Also, broth (better than bouillian) excuse the spelling, tastes great and you almost feel like you've had Soup. good luck to you!

27 minutes ago, DonnaGS said:

I can imagine, I just had surgery on the 23rd and already dealing with tired of Protein Shakes. I find if I add sugar free Jello, its filling, tastes different and gives you the satisfaction of eating. Also, broth (better than bouillian) excuse the spelling, tastes great and you almost feel like you've had Soup. good luck to you!

I put unflavored Protein in my broth, get protein and taste well. February 15,2022 surgery date.

Hi, I am new too. Had my surgery 2-16-22 and still confused about alot. Seems all surgeons are different and tell their patients different from what I am reading. I was told to advance to soft mushy foods yesterday 2-28-22 and prior to that it was anything I could drink through a straw but not to use a straw, but that included Soup. Still though confused on what type of foods that are allowed now. We had a zoom meeting with many and I don't remember that coming up, other than the amount of Protein we needed and that we could have chicken broth and chicken and stars the first week. So going thorough all my hand outs given but don't see anything about processed food such as campbell's Soups other than no Tomato Soup. Wondering if things like canned deviled ham or deviled chicken is allowed? Does anyone know or a good resource?

On 2/16/2022 at 11:48 AM, mikala360 said:

Hi all! I was sleeved on 2/1/22. Just found this app/group. I am in NC. Just trying to figure out this new stomach thing...

Sent from my SM-G781U using BariatricPal mobile app

Hello! I was sleeved 2/3. The new stomach thing is weird, right? It was odd at first to feel the full sensation in my chest as opposed to under my ribcage. Our pouches tell us when we're finished eating now! It feels like I've got floaties on to help keep me from sinking to the bottom of the pool. 🤣

Have you had any changes to your taste buds? Apparently I no longer love intense artificial sugar flavor. I am in no way sorry about that.

On 2/19/2022 at 1:36 PM, MimmyMim said:

I really like the Ricotta Bake and got a great sugar free marinara from Amazon. I have not been very adventurous with pureed food at all. I have had a scrambled egg, chicken with a little mayo, and the Ricotta Bake. The very first thing I made was a Buffalo chicken puree. What a mistake! I was miserable for an entire day. Right now I am doing two Protein Shakes and one pureed meal a day. I know need to get over the fear and try to get some more pureed food in.

I've been sticking to the same old, too. Chicken and mayo, tuna, egg salad. No sugar added applesauce is my go-to side. I bought a sugar free BBQ Sauce called G Hughes, so yesterday I heated up a tiny bowl of pureed chicken and mixed in a dab of sauce. Can't recommend it enough!

On 2/26/2022 at 7:24 PM, HE_TheBrave said:

I’m 5 days post surgery and super excited to connect with you all. I’m struggling with a few things, namely getting in my fluids, pain management and low blood sugar issues. I spoke to my doctor today who recommended that I try some thinned out cream of wheat to add some carbs and try to keep my blood sugar at a more normal level. Is anyone else dealing with this? Also, what are you doing to make sure that you get enough Fluid. I’m trying, but it just seems overwhelming and even with my small 3 ounce shot glasses, I don’t feel like I’m getting even close to 40 ounces of fluids. I’m at the high 20s, low 30s.

Hello! Hydration has been my biggest challenge thus far. I was on it up until I started working again, and now sipping every 15 minutes has fallen by the wayside. Everything feels so off when I don't drink. My suggestion is to be dilligent in starting your sips upon waking up, and carrying on until bedtime. I have the Bariastic app to keep track of ounces and the alarm sounds every 15 min. Just be careful not to let too much time pass between "doses", otherwise it's almost impossible to catch up. Good luck!!

2 hours ago, D Determined said:

Hi, I am new too. Had my surgery 2-16-22 and still confused about alot. Seems all surgeons are different and tell their patients different from what I am reading. I was told to advance to soft mushy foods yesterday 2-28-22 and prior to that it was anything I could drink through a straw but not to use a straw, but that included Soup. Still though confused on what type of foods that are allowed now. We had a zoom meeting with many and I don't remember that coming up, other than the amount of Protein we needed and that we could have chicken broth and chicken and stars the first week. So going thorough all my hand outs given but don't see anything about processed food such as campbell's Soups other than no Tomato Soup. Wondering if things like canned deviled ham or deviled chicken is allowed? Does anyone know or a good resource?

Hi! My program stresses lean Proteins at the stage I'm in (pureed), so I'm eating canned chicken breast, tuna, and sometimes egg salad. They cautioned me on sodium, which is usually very high in canned and condensed Soups. I think the concern is sodium can dehydrate you. Sounds funny, but I searched on Pinterest for simple recipes I could make at home and customize to my liking. Many of the pins link to bariatric patient geared sites with people years into their journey, so there's lots of insight and tips.