Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2022 Surgery Buddies

On 02/04/2022 at 17:28, touchdown22 said:

How are people feeling today? How does post-op day 1-2 feel? I’m getting mentally ready for surgery on Wednesday. The two week liquid diet has me exhausted.

On the day of surgery, I had a lot of uncomfortable nausea, but that was ultimately relieved with medication that also made me drowsy, allowing me to get some sleep. I also had some cramping in my back, and a medication for cramping also helped relieve that. I was expecting gas pain, but I really didn’t have much at all. I also walked several times on day 1. By day 2 post-op, I was feeling much better. I felt strong walking the halls and discomfort was minimal. It was challenging to take small sips every few minutes. Too large of a sip, and I would get pain in my chest. Since surgery, I feel a little better every day and more comfortable with sipping and eating at the right pace and in the right amounts.

I had my surgery 2/3 and was released from hospital 2/4. My incisions don't really hurt, just sore. When I had my lap band removed in 10/2021, they must have really yanked on the liver to retract it during surgery because that hurt REALLY BADLY for 3 weeks. Compared to that, this is a non-carb cake walk.

I am electing to stay on Clear Liquids until tomorrow or Monday as I'm not hungry and I don't want to screw the pouch up with too much too soon. I feel really good and Praise Jesus, no complications from the surgery. Now it's time to begin my new relationship with food. No longer will it be my confidant and comforter, but simply my nutrition to keep my body healthy and free of junk.

Drinking Smooth Moves hot tea to get my bowels moving after surgery. I've always struggled with Constipation and I'm hopeful this will keep me regular.

Day 2 and I’m feeling really good! I was home 7 hours after checking into the hospital. Anesthesia kicked my butt so I slept for hours. I wouldn’t say pain but discomfort and exhaustion initially. I went for a walk this morning and made it around the whole block. Now it’s just focusing on hydration.

How is everyone else doing?

I had my surgery on 2/3. The surgery took much longer than expected as the surgeon discovered a hiatal hernia and tons of adhesions from a previous open surgery. I was worried that those extra issues might impact recovery. I really tried to focus on hydration Friday and Saturday. I was only able to get in 24-32 ounces each of those days. I am adding Protein Shakes back in today. I haven’t really had pain but I have had discomfort. I need to get in more walking today! How is everyone else doing?

21 hours ago, MaryRN66 said:

I had my surgery 2/3 and was released from hospital 2/4. My incisions don't really hurt, just sore. When I had my lap band removed in 10/2021, they must have really yanked on the liver to retract it during surgery because that hurt REALLY BADLY for 3 weeks. Compared to that, this is a non-carb cake walk.

I am electing to stay on Clear Liquids until tomorrow or Monday as I'm not hungry and I don't want to screw the pouch up with too much too soon. I feel really good and Praise Jesus, no complications from the surgery. Now it's time to begin my new relationship with food. No longer will it be my confidant and comforter, but simply my nutrition to keep my body healthy and free of junk.

Drinking Smooth Moves hot tea to get my bowels moving after surgery. I've always struggled with constipation and I'm hopeful this will keep me regular.

8 minutes ago, MimmyMim said:

I had my surgery on 2/3. The surgery took much longer than expected as the surgeon discovered a hiatal hernia and tons of adhesions from a previous open surgery. I was worried that those extra issues might impact recovery. I really tried to focus on hydration Friday and Saturday. I was only able to get in 24-32 ounces each of those days. I am adding Protein Shakes back in today. I haven’t really had pain but I have had discomfort. I need to get in more walking today! How is everyone else doing?

Hi - I also had my surgery on 2/3 and it took longer because of a hiatal Hernia. My sleeve (done in 2013had also stretched out a lot. Interesting for anyone who may be on the fence about revision). I was on clear liquids for the first 3 days and today I start shakes. I’ll PM you.

Edited by AllyNYC
Error

2/3 sleeve here. Experiencing a lot of the same. Discomfort more than pain. Trying to walk for 10 minutes at least 6 times a day. Just around the house since it's snowy and icy out. Using the tread on a super low walk speed. Can't sleep in the bed yet. Abdominal binder is a god-send. Fortunately no nausea. Constantly sipping Water and shakes. Have had 2 popsicks and 2 half cups of Jello. Miralx started yesterday, too.

Sent from my SM-G970U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 02/02/2022 at 19:57, MimiX2 said:

My birthday is the 24th… the scheduler was like, “I wasn’t sure if you’d be wanting to spend your bday in the hospital… I was like, “Are you kidding? It’s my new birthday!” Lol

My birthday is also the 24th :)

On 1/24/2022 at 7:51 AM, Lysn said:

I'm scheduled for my VSG on February 2nd. I'm almost a week into my pre-op diet and managing okay. One of my challenges is that I live in the Netherlands as my husband works here and I don't speak Dutch super well.

The post-op guidance here is also different from what I've read online for North America and the Mexico clinics so it's a little harder to use online resources. The foods Dutch people regularly eat are different than I'm used to from North America so this might be one of the reasons. For example the diet for the first 2 weeks post op is called a high-fat liquid diet where it suggests a low-fat yogurt or cottage cheese for lunch, 1 dairy product for mid morning and mid afternoon snack and for dinner pureed potato, meat and veg, followed up with another dairy product for snack after dinner. After that diet for 2 weeks they suggest building up to solids.

That is very different. I’m in Iowa, USA and my instructions for the first two weeks is strictly liquid. Items that can fit through a straw and only 2 ounces at a time. So all day sipping either Water or a Protein Drink is what I’m doing. This is for both the bypass and sleeve. It could be they do surgery a bit different and so it allows more to go through at a time. My list I was given says Protein Drinks, unsweetened applesauce, sugar free pudding or Jello after Protein goal for the day is met, light yogurt or light Greek yogurt, broth or cream Soup, plain cream of wheat or V8 Tomato juice. Again, only a quarter of a cup/2 ounces at a time. This will be for two weeks which I’m on day four post surgery. Wishing you all of the very best, I’m everything from excited to nervous, 😂, but will use this amazing tool for the rest of my life and my eating habits.

58 minutes ago, Percheronfan said:

That is very different. I’m in Iowa, USA and my instructions for the first two weeks is strictly liquid. Items that can fit through a straw and only 2 ounces at a time. So all day sipping either Water or a Protein Drink is what I’m doing. This is for both the bypass and sleeve. It could be they do surgery a bit different and so it allows more to go through at a time. My list I was given says Protein Drinks, unsweetened applesauce, sugar free pudding or Jello after Protein goal for the day is met, light yogurt or light Greek yogurt, broth or cream Soup, plain cream of wheat or V8 Tomato juice. Again, only a quarter of a cup/2 ounces at a time. This will be for two weeks which I’m on day four post surgery. Wishing you all of the very best, I’m everything from excited to nervous, 😂, but will use this amazing tool for the rest of my life and my eating habits.

Everything I've seen is that it's the exact same surgery. My surgery was on Wednesday, I ended up in the 2% complication club and just got home today but wasn't having problems in hospital with yogurt, dutch pudding, broth and things like that. They had offered pureed meat and veg a couple of times but I ended up back in the OR and then slept the next day recovering.

It's interesting to see the differences and outside the complications so far I'm really happy. I don't know what the complications will mean for my progress early but I'm hoping it isn't too big a problem.

I’m day 5 post op now. My surgery went well, it took 2.5 hours. I had Water only on 2/2 and have been having water, Soups and yoghurt since 4/2. Pain wise I’m okay only taken 2 paracetamol today but am quite swollen this evening.

Good luck to any surgery buddies for the week ahead :)

Hello! Brand new here, just found this app/page yesterday and I have loved reading many of the posts.

I am going in tomorrow morning for my procedure. This will be my third date, so hoping this one is final (other two postponed due to COVID.) Feeling nervous, but so ready for this new lifestyle!

2 hours ago, Percheronfan said:

The yogurt and creamy broths I was able to start 4 days post. I’m now waiting to move to phase 3 where I can start incorporating ground beef, Turkey, sauce and other things.

Question. Has anyone had hunger pains yet? I’m 3 days post surgery and the appetite came back last night. It started when I sat next to someone eating a big plate of Greek food and has been off and on since.

I’ve been on clear liquids since Wednesday and am behind on Protein. Tomorrow starts full liquids so I’m hoping that’ll help. Also wondering if it could all be in my head…