Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2022 Surgery Buddies

Hello! I'm scheduled for a DS on 2/17 here in Orlando. Nervous but excited at the same time. I also feel nervous about the current COVID wave, even thought about pushing it to March, but I feel like if I do that I will just keep on finding excuses to not do it. I'm reading and watching videos to be as prepared as possible and have some questions ready for my upcoming pre-op.

Rooting for all of us!!! 😊

On 01/22/2022 at 16:32, freckledmegan said:

Same here. Start pre-op diet (protein shakes + cup of fruit + cup of veg + liquids) on Thursday. So manumy appointments between now and then (meet with Surgeon, labs, meet with hospital staff, COVID test).

Anyone have a realistic hospital bag packing list for 1 night? Imagine I will be sleeping and don't want to take anything unnecessary. This is my first hospital stay.

Sent from my SM-G970U using BariatricPal mobile app

I suggest toiletries, phone charger (long cord), comfy shoes with a sole that you can slip on for all that walking and chapstick.

I will be staying 2 nights in the hospital and 1 in a hotel before flying home. They suggest a small pillow to hold up to your stomach for comfort when coughing or in turbulence, heating pad, loose clothing to wear home.

I suggest toiletries, phone charger (long cord), comfy shoes with a sole that you can slip on for all that walking and chapstick.

I will be staying 2 nights in the hospital and 1 in a hotel before flying home. They suggest a small pillow to hold up to your stomach for comfort when coughing or in turbulence, heating pad, loose clothing to wear home.
From one Megan to another, thanks for the info and rooting for us both!

Sent from my SM-G970U using BariatricPal mobile app

13 hours ago, MimmyMim said:

So I am a little freaked out about my insurance. Surgery is scheduled for 2/3, and I am super excited now that I am on the liquid diet. (I think it seems real now.). But, I learned today that unless and agreement is reached between the hospital and Anthem in the next week or so, the hospital will not be in-network on February 1!

Anthem approved mine just this past Thursday and I’m going in tomorrow.

I am going in this morning for the sleeve. I was good up till this past Monday and Wed where I always in complete freak out Mode. I talked to a couple of people who have had the surgery and that put my mind at ease. I have been good and confident the rest of the week. Remember you are choosing this surgery to take control back. To get Healthier for a long life ahead of you. Try to wrap your head around that and you will be in better head space. You just have to get through the pre diet which I breezed through losing 15lbs and the first few weeks. My people say it gets much better and it’s a decision you will not regret especially after you see your numbers go down. Good luck to you

On 01/24/2022 at 03:37, Dcsjoc said:

I am going in this morning for the sleeve. I was good up till this past Monday and Wed where I always in complete freak out Mode. I talked to a couple of people who have had the surgery and that put my mind at ease. I have been good and confident the rest of the week. Remember you are choosing this surgery to take control back. To get Healthier for a long life ahead of you. Try to wrap your head around that and you will be in better head space. You just have to get through the pre diet which I breezed through losing 15lbs and the first few weeks. My people say it gets much better and it’s a decision you will not regret especially after you see your numbers go down. Good luck to you

Thinking of you today. Good luck and hoping for a speedy recovery. 💜

On 01/24/2022 at 05:37, Dcsjoc said:

Congratulations! In a few hours the surgery will be over, and you will begin the next phase of your weight loss journey :-)

On 1/4/2022 at 1:47 PM, MeganMyers said:

My Surgery date is 2/3/22. I am getting sleeved in Mexico. Pre-op diet starts in about 3 weeks.

Who else is having WLS next month?

I’m curious about having the surgery in Mexico?? Do you live there? I see a bunch of people are having theirs done in Mexico.

I'm scheduled for my VSG on February 2nd. I'm almost a week into my pre-op diet and managing okay. One of my challenges is that I live in the Netherlands as my husband works here and I don't speak Dutch super well.

The post-op guidance here is also different from what I've read online for North America and the Mexico clinics so it's a little harder to use online resources. The foods Dutch people regularly eat are different than I'm used to from North America so this might be one of the reasons. For example the diet for the first 2 weeks post op is called a high-fat liquid diet where it suggests a low-fat yogurt or cottage cheese for lunch, 1 dairy product for mid morning and mid afternoon snack and for dinner pureed potato, meat and veg, followed up with another dairy product for snack after dinner. After that diet for 2 weeks they suggest building up to solids.