Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Prep recommends... I'm six weeks out

Hello All, Happy New Year!

I need help from those experienced sleeve folks

What are your biggest recommendations to prep for a successful surgical day and what's really important (to you) two weeks after.

I'm fighting a diet coke addiction, no joke.

I used to drink Coke Zero all day and night like a 12 pack a day. I quit prior to surgery and really don’t even miss it. I have a little caffeine now but not from soda even though my team says I am medically clear to have it again but they don’t recommend it cause of the correlation with weight gain. I have the premiere Protein caffe latte every morning and occasionally I have a crystal light energy if I am feeling tired during the day. Both of those hit me harder energy wise now than a single soda used to. There isn’t anything specific that I needed post op that I wasn’t told to expects. Protein Drinks, broths, puree Soups, sugar free popsicles, etc. i had a pretty uneventful recovery though. Maybe others will have more to add about that.

23 minutes ago, vulpusvulpus35 said:

Thanks for the feedback. I'm so glad that your surgical procedure went so well. How did you feel the first week?

I didn’t have much pain at all. I don’t think my dr used the air or gas that they fill you up with cause I had no gas pain and I had the nerve block on my stomach so I didn’t even need pain meds. I Did have to go back as an outpatient to the hospital to get fluids the first week. I am not really sure why cause it didn’t really hurt to drink. I just couldn’t drink as much and it takes a while to get used to sipping all the time all day. I may not have needed to if I had just stayed at the hospital the second night but I was ready to go.

4 hours ago, vulpusvulpus35 said:

Hello All, Happy New Year!

I need help from those experienced sleeve folks

What are your biggest recommendations to prep for a successful surgical day and what's really important (to you) two weeks after.

I'm fighting a diet coke addiction, no joke.

Hi fellow Diet Coke addict! I’m 2 months out and haven’t had a sip! Which is crazy because I used to think longingly about my beloved Diet Coke.
I had a craving for a Diet Coke last week, but I didn’t have it. Plenty of people do drink it post op, but I sorta said “hi craving, I see you and boy do I miss your crispy zing in my mouth, but I’m good”. Will it also be that easy for me to say no? Probably not. But right now it is. The same can’t be said for food. I’ve pretty much had it all at this point, and I’ve enjoyed it, regretted it sometimes, and moved on. I eat something yummy everyday, just not a lot of it. I’m still figuring this out. Sometimes I eat too fast and just have to ride that wave and tell myself “ok remember this for next time and remember how little your stomach is now”.
i focused on drinking Water those first 10 days. The first 2 days were tough because of nausea. I did a play by play of the first 2 weeks on here called “post op day 2” if you’re curious about how it felt day by day.

currently I mostly eat canned chicken with mayo (like I truly love it, hahahaha), an egg in the morning, tiny sandwiches (see post, comically small sandwich), honey roasted peanuts, and dinner is just a small portion of whatever my husband is eating… sometimes it healthy, sometimes it’s not. I’m not as strict as most people on here, and that’s ok. I’m learning and living. I’m losing about 2 pounds a week now (with stalls here and there, including the 3 week stall).

i have incorporated the Premier Protein latte flavor daily now (3 weeks post op until I was suppose to wait for caffeine). I sorta have just choke it down bit by bit, but I’m ok with it.

i took omeprazole the first month as prescribed and haven’t needed it since.

I brought a pair of crocs to the hospital to walk about my room, wet wipes, a medicine cup to sip water, 2 bottles of water, pads (because you’ll likely get your period out of nowhere), night time toiletries ( I didn’t shower there, was only there 2 nights), iPad, phone charger (long), ear buds, and pj pants, tank top with built in bra, and sweater (I was ridiculously cold for a month after surgery).

good luck!

Thank you so much! This is so helpful. It's amazing how everyone seems to have differences. I am hoping to quit diet cokes totally. I've tried before and the headaches and brain fog were too much.

Good luck on your continued journey.

2 minutes ago, vulpusvulpus35 said:

Thank you so much! This is so helpful. It's amazing how everyone seems to have differences. I am hoping to quit diet cokes totally. I've tried before and the headaches and brain fog were too much.

Good luck on your continued journey.

You’ll have headaches and brain fog those first few weeks anyways, may as well ride that wave too and call it quits, hahaha. I didn’t even want a Diet Coke during those first few weeks. But everyone is different and thats ok! Don’t be so hard on yourself when you slip (because you’re human, and likely a food addict like most of us, so you will slip and you’ll pick yourself back up and learn. I’m learning everyday.)

I wanted salty and hot things, and even licked a cool ranch Dorito I think like day 5 or something crazy like that. When I started purées (I think day 10 maybe) I finally thought “oh ok I won’t be miserable forever”. I never knew just plain ol’ refried Beans with a pinch of cheddar cheese could taste like a slice of heaven. I had a whole new appreciation for food, haha.
I also didn’t do a pre-op diet, just Clear Liquids 24 hours before surgery.