Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long from consult to surgery?

For those that are self pay. How long did it take from your first consultation to your surgery? I know insurance people have requirements and such so this question is for self pay people only.

Hi Seadoo! I was self pay. I had my initial consult in January 2020 at Cleveland Clinic. They scheduled me for VSG in March 2020. (Unfortunately, all elective surgeries were cancelled the night before I was to have mine, and I ended up having the VSG IN July 2020. I guess it depends on availability of elective surgeries in your area.)

4 hours ago, seadoo2021 said:

For those that are self pay. How long did it take from your first consultation to your surgery? I know insurance people have requirements and such so this question is for self pay people only.

3 weeks.

I am in the UK and was told to expect 4-6 months but ended up more like 8 months. Covid has impacted on all surgery here, even private hospitals.

1 minute ago, summerseeker said:

I am in the UK and was told to expect 4-6 months but ended up more like 8 months. Covid has impacted on all surgery here, even private hospitals.

Interesting. So how much did the surgery cost you in the UK?

I am really hoping elective surgeries don’t get put off again with everything getting crazy again.

Would have been 5 weeks from the date I contacted the clinic. But due to Covid surge canceling all elective surgeries where I went, it was 9 weeks.

19 hours ago, seadoo2021 said:

Interesting. So how much did the surgery cost you in the UK?

£11,999 Its a package deal. No matter how much care you need, it wont cost more. I stayed 6 days instead of 1. Had loads more xrays and a CT scan. It includes 2 years follow ups with dietician.

I had my telemed appointment with surgeon Sept 28, 2021. Had to do several rounds of tests for cardiologist clearance. Surgery scheduled Jan 5, 2022. Going with MBS in Decatur, Texas.

Mine is 6 weeks. I have 3 more of the 6 to go. And the only real reason is just because of scheduling. My surgery date is Feb. 23, 2022, it was the next available.

On 12/31/2021 at 4:42 PM, liveaboard15 said:

I told my surgeon in the beginning that I would be self pay if my insurance wouldn't cover it. I asked what the time frames would be for both scenarios. She said self pay would be 3 mos because they had their own minimum nutrition class guidelines which takes that amount of time to complete. Then I guess it would be how quickly you could get on the OR schedule. Long story short...3 mos is what I was told. Bonus is my insurance is covering it but it did take longer.

Oh ! Makes me realise how darn slow everything happens in NZ! I spoke to my GP last August, it took him 2 weeks to even write the referral letter (I had to get referred even though I am self funding). I waited until December to see the surgeon, then i had to have two psych appointments and a dietician appointment, then they all got together yesterday and agreed I can have the surgery 😁 I have another final appointment with the surgeon beginning of March where he will schedule the actual date…..am elated and terrified at the same time! So it will be near 9 months. Though I did actually talk to another GP in the practice about surgery over a year ago, she was negative and told me that Keto might work…it did but I have since put nearly all the weight back on again.