Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions to ask in initial consult

Have my first consult in mid January and am making a list of questions to ask this potential surgeon. I’m looking at one recommended by my primary care as well as getting referred into the program at Stanford.

I would appreciate any advice you might have.

Edited by Hopeful_Gal

How far are you in the process? Meaning have you decided which surgery you want? Do you have any medical issues which may dictate which surgery is best?? I have bipolar which made the sleeve more ideal for me but I wanted bypass because of the greater weight loss statistics so that’s what I spent most of my time talking about. But you may ask how many of these surgeries he/she has done and their success rates? What to expect after surgery? If work applies how much time you will need to take off your particular job? Whether you can or are expected to lose weight on your program before your pre op diet?? They should also have their own list of things to go over with you that they think are important for you to know.

Thanks for the reply. I am at the very beginning of the process. Which surgery is something TBD. Based on reading, sleeve seems preferable to me for reasons but it’s something I want to discuss. Just wrote down that I need to ask the doctor how surgery would impact medication dosing.

2 hours ago, Hopeful_Gal said:

Thanks for the reply. I am at the very beginning of the process. Which surgery is something TBD. Based on reading, sleeve seems preferable to me for reasons but it’s something I want to discuss. Just wrote down that I need to ask the doctor how surgery would impact medication dosing.

Good question. Sleevers tend to have less issues with medication absorption overall but it depends on the way each Med is absorbed. I just kept my list with me for like a week and had so many questions it took a few appointments to get through all of them. The good news was I had to do the check ins anyways for my insurance so at least it made it feel like less of a waste of time.

One thing I didn’t think to ask about but has had a big impact on my peace of mind is how problems that arise outside of business hours are handled.

What can the on call surgeon do for you? Can they help you get admitted or just tell you when you should go to the ER? Is your surgeon the on call or is it someone you don’t know? During office hours are your questions answers by an assistant or can you actually reach the surgeon?

I’ve spent a lot of time in the ER with long waits due to covid, and the on call isn’t able to help me. It’s made scary situations even more stressful.

For example if I could do it again, I’d make sure my surgery wasn’t sending me home fright before a holiday or weekend. I had problems as soon as I was released and had to go wait in the ER because no one was around to help.

Definitely spend your time reading up on surgeries. Are you worried about regain? Complications? food intolerance?

I have to admit: had my doctor not suggested the surgery I ended up having, I might never have gotten the one I eventually was very happy to get.

Are you a big meal-eater, a snacker, etc. This matters, too.

On 12/27/2021 at 1:54 PM, ClareLynn said:

One thing I didn’t think to ask about but has had a big impact on my peace of mind is how problems that arise outside of business hours are handled.

What can the on call surgeon do for you? Can they help you get admitted or just tell you when you should go to the ER? Is your surgeon the on call or is it someone you don’t know? During office hours are your questions answers by an assistant or can you actually reach the surgeon?

I’ve spent a lot of time in the ER with long waits due to covid, and the on call isn’t able to help me. It’s made scary situations even more stressful.

For example if I could do it again, I’d make sure my surgery wasn’t sending me home fright before a holiday or weekend. I had problems as soon as I was released and had to go wait in the ER because no one was around to help.

REALLY useful. Thank you!