Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 days Post Op-please tell me it's going to get better

3 days post op. I feel nauseated and week most of the time. I don't want to drink or eat anything, I feel I want to throw up. When did you start feeling better?

It gets a little better each day. Do you have anti nausea meds? If not contact your team. Those should help.

2 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

It gets a little better each day. Do you have anti nausea meds? If not contact your team. Those should help.

Yes I have the meds but they don’t work very well on me. I’ve been having headaches which makes it worse. Thanks for the advice.

8 minutes ago, armartin98 said:

Yes I have the meds but they don’t work very well on me. I’ve been having headaches which makes it worse. Thanks for the advice.

8 minutes ago, armartin98 said:

they had me wear a patch that worked for a day or two and I didn’t get nauseous and I usually do post surgery. Maybe you could ask for those.

I'm 9 months out. It WILL get better! I get dizzy when either I'm dehydrated or I eat/drink too much too fast. I'm guessing yours is because you're dehydrated and healing. Just keep sipping as much as you can. Warm liquids went down better for me early on. You might want to try broth or tea. If you feel that you can't stand it, call your doc and let them know how you're doing.

Good luck!

I'm about 18 months out now, and I remember feeling the same way the first couple weeks after surgery. I kept asking why I did this to myself. I struggled to get the Protein Shakes down because I found them so disgusting and I felt weak all the time. After about a month the weakness got better. With trial and error I found Protein products I could tolerate. It's definitely overwhelming at first. Now at 18 months out and 190 pounds down I have to say it DEFINITELY gets better and I know it was the best decision I ever made. Hang in there!

Sent from my Pixel 5a using BariatricPal mobile app

25 minutes ago, STLoser said:

I'm about 18 months out now, and I remember feeling the same way the first couple weeks after surgery. I kept asking why I did this to myself. I struggled to get the Protein Shakes down because I found them so disgusting and I felt weak all the time. After about a month the weakness got better. With trial and error I found Protein products I could tolerate. It's definitely overwhelming at first. Now at 18 months out and 190 pounds down I have to say it DEFINITELY gets better and I know it was the best decision I ever made. Hang in there!

Sent from my Pixel 5a using BariatricPal mobile app

Congrats! Thank you for sharing. Day 6 post op and I'm doing much better. Still on liquids and can't wait to eat some mushy food soon.

Edited by armartin98

3 days post op. I feel nauseated and week most of the time. I don't want to drink or eat anything, I feel I want to throw up. When did you start feeling better?

You will improve overtime. The first week is the hardest for sure. I am 3 months PostOp and feeling great and have more of an appetite now. I still have to eat slowly and make sure I am eating moist foods. I am also able to chug Water a little compared to right after surgery.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

It absolutely will get better! My first month or two felt like hell and there were moments I regretted having the procedure but now at three months I finally feel like myself again and have gotten that burst of energy that comes with not carrying around the 76 pounds I've lost anymore! Hang in there, be strong!

I’m 6 weeks post it will get easier
I’m still struggling with my Protein and Water intake
However the first two weeks ginger tea was a life saver if you don’t like hot tea you can pour it over ice it soothes and helps with the nausea the meds didn’t work for me

Howdy there, today is my 3rd after the day of my surgery. We had planned on having the Gastric bypass done but upon consulting more with my Dr. they performed the Gastric Sleeve. I followed the medical professionals on this opinion. I don't remember anything but waking up and being in overall and in full pain and crying. (It did hurt but I am the biggest baby when it comes to pain.) Since the surgery, I have been taking in 1 ounce of Water and 1 ounce of clear Protein Drink every hour. When I am able to I will also take in 1-2 oz of chicken broth. I am on a med for pain, a med for Constipation, and a gut pill that I will take daily for at least a year. Thankfully the hic-ups are no longer as frequent the contractions were very painful. I still can not make myself go pee (Thankfully no catheter) I just sit there and wait until "he's" done. I have not had a bowel movement in 5 days. That is a bit concerning, however, I can not apply any internal pressure to assist it anyhow. I am walking as much as I can. I walk down the street to the next-door neighbor's house a few times a day. (always have my phone on me) Sheldon got me a huge walking stick and also tied a rope to it. There were a few times I was on the bed and couldn't get up or reach the stick for leverage. Kinda like a turtle on his back. Just lay there and cry. This will pass and I will get up. Until then the rope has been a lifesaver. I still need assistance to get out of bed or even to a sitting-up position most times. Still need to take the pain meds on a regular schedule though I have been able to increase the time between them. I really want some Mushy food (apple sauce, cottage cheese, etc.) I Can't have that until 1/27/22. Still on the clear liquid diet. Yesterday I spent most of the day in my head regretting this decision and wanting a way out. The strongest feeling I have is honestly, "This to shall pass." I remember when I couldn't take experiences "One Day at a Time" and had to break them down to one moment at a time!!!. Between that knowledge and having the overwhelming love & support from my husband, my family, and all my friends this experience and the pain is all be it slowly getting behind me. (Just moved a little and it HURT like hell. So not so far behind LoL!)

I really want to intake more! My paperwork states that they reduced my stomach from about 60oz down to about 4oz. I guess I have to wait until that heals so then the 4oz pocket stretches to hold more. The times that I injust more than 4oz of water I burped and it all came up. It still feels weird to feel the liquid go down and make a turn. it doesn't hurt and has no symptoms of leaking so it's just weird. The headaches are rough but thankfully I had some stuff called "Goodys" headache powder it is gross cause it's just like aspirin but powder this way with very little water it's dissolved quickly Sorry for such a really long message. I appreciate all of your posted comments and question with each other they have helped me immeasurably. Be well!

I'm with you 3 days post op and I'm so nauseated all the time I try to keep taking my nausea meds every 6 hours. My problem I keep getting what feels to be labor pains Dr said was probably just the muscle and the Norco isn't helping

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 12/25/2021 at 1:02 PM, armartin98 said:

Hey there I'm 5 days post op no nauseas but I did get dramanyl since day 1, maybe that could help u and also for headaches im allow to take liquid acetaminophen, good luck!

I feel ya. The time around 3 or 4 days was rough. IT DID GET BETTER. I am on day 9 post-op and honestly, I am more tired and sick (throwing up) yesterday and today than ever before. I also can't get warm. Yesterday I was sweating with low-grade temp but was also freezing. I hope that I did not get an infection. I am fully vaxed and boosted but everyone at my husband's work is sick with cold/ flu so maybe I just caught something. I still want to drink but just can't take in much. Paperwork says to intake 64 ounces a day. I was able to do 2oz every 15 minutes yesterday but no way today. Be well!