Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone, I had surgery in October and so far I’ve lost 34lbs! I’m pretty much eating normal foods now and I’m doing well. I’ve been testing out different foods to have an idea of what my limit is. I’ve been able to eat maybe 3/4 cup of rice and I feel fine. I also tried ramen today. I ate about 3/4 cups of it plus the broth and I didn’t feel full! Is this normal? I know I shouldn’t be doing carbs this early on but I’m Hispanic and we eat everything with rice so this has been extremely hard for me. I don’t do it everyday but I get bored eating things without a bit of carbs. Does eating carbs this early on stretch out my pouch even if I don’t feel full? Do you know or any replacements for noodles or rice that I can work into my diet?

Noodles and rice swell so it's not the best idea to have them so early on as it can stretch your stomach out. I eat cauliflower rice (haven't had actual rice since my surgery almost two years ago), but cauliflower rice is wet so you can't cook it in a casserole or anything like that. It's good in stir fry though. It has no flavor so it takes on any sauces you add to it. G.Hughes makes some really great sugar free sauces. As for noodles... chickpea noodles are high in Protein and break down easily so they'd be a good replacement, but don't put them in a crockpot or let them simmer in liquid after cooking because they get soggy.

Careful with the rice. I've seen many people on here say that's how they got sick the first time.

Basically, the logic is that the rice can still increase in size once it has reached your sleeve and make you throw up.

we were advised to avoid things like Pasta and rice early out. In addition to what the other posters said, they also don't have much nutritional value. Our stomachs can only hold a limited amount of food, so we're encouraged to eat things that are nutritionally dense.

I eat noodles and rice at 6.5 years out, but not very often and never very much of them. Maybe a half cup or so.

Edited by catwoman7

I am 3.5 months out and I have eaten a little bit of rice a few times, and sweets a number of times. I don't think you will ruin your surgery, but it's not the best in terms of getting your Protein and vegetables in. That's what should be the focus.

I had heard that rice and noodles would swell and make me uncomfortable as would bread... I haven't had any issues. I just try to limit it because I want to limit carbs. Actually, for me, rice and bread and sweets seem easy to eat. I just try not to. I understand how hard it must be to stop eating a food you grew up eating. My amigovio is from Bogota and he has switched to cauliflower rice, but it's not for everyone. When I go to Mexican or other LATAM restaurants I tend to just eat the Beans (I never liked rice much anyway, so I always did that).

Don't beat yourself up. Just see if it helps to stop completely so you don't crave it, or if it's better to just have a little occasionally.

I am almost 2 years out and nope can't do them any more. It will just take you some time. You will adjust your eating. You can still eat that stuff but like everyone says, no nutritional value at all. You really want to eat Protein first, some veg and a splash of rice it you must. But I would just stay away from it all together. Best of luck on your journey. It will all fall into place

The cauliflower rice is not bad if it’s mixed in with other things. They have it at Walmart both frozen and in the microwaveable pouches or of course you can make your own if you want big batches. I am 8 months out and I do eat real rice on occasion but I always try to limit it to a half cup serving and even that I don’t finish in one serving because I am eating it with something like kabobs usually. I just limit it cause Pasta and rice will sneak up on you. They swell up and hot you like a ton of bricks. I have a recipe for Mexican cauliflower rice bowl that is super good. I just tried to find it and there are so many that I couldn’t Fond the exact one I have but if you Google it I’m sure you will see one that looks good to you.

You can eat riced vegetables and make Pasta out of zucchini. I do try to limit my carbs, although I found that completely cutting them out was not good either. Moderation is the key as they say.

I had surgery in November. I had 4 pieces of a sushi roll for dinner one day. It didn’t bother me.