Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any pre op Hair and Skin Prep tips

Due to Covid delays I am about 8 months out from gastric sleeve. What can I do, take, ingest, rub on, tie up (lol) to prep my skin and hair prior to surgery to prevent as much damage control as possible. I am 5’6 225 body type is apple shape (or frog shape as I call it.) and I’m 45

Edited by Jessica1024
Add in

I'm sure you'll hear it from others, but Hair loss and loose skin are absolutely inevitable. They are just part of the WLS process. There are some basic things you can do to help minimize the impact and/or speed up the healing/regrowth, but that's about it. That being said, here is what I did:

Start taking your Vitamins now including Biotin or hair/skin/nail supplement, get in the habit of drinking your Water and hitting your Protein goal, use BioOil daily, stop dying your hair/using heat/doing restrictive styles (these all contribute to hair loss so if you minimize them, you'll lose less overall), start using a hair oil with Rosemary (clinically shown to work nearly as well as Nixoin).

I'm 3 months out and am just now starting to see some increased shedding. I'm not sure how bad it will get, but I've just accepted it as part of the process, while doing the best I can to minimize it.

if it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen. Fortunately, most of us don't lose enough hair for others to notice (and even if you're one of those who do, it's pretty rare for it to fall out in big, noticeable clumps - rather, it's more like shedding - so your hair just looks thinner). About all you can do is keep on top of your Protein and supplement requirements to keep it from getting any worse than it will anyway. It's temporary and will all grow back, so there's that. I had loss from months 5-9, but it was pretty minimal. I noticed more strands than usual in my combs and brushes, but just looking in the mirror, I couldn't tell - so no one else would have noticed, either. And then there are people who don't lose any hair at all.

nothing you can do about skin. Although you're what we call a "light weight", so you're not likely to end up looking like a Sharpei puppy like someone who starts out much heavier might (I was one of the latter - I was almost 400 lbs and in my late 50s when I had surgery). You'll likely have some sagging, but it probably won't be what I'm guessing you're imagining. And there's always plastic surgery if it bothers you - but I'm betting it won't be that bad.

I was really worried about the Hair loss and saggy skin (I think most people are), but honestly, most of us would take those any day of the week over being obese. And again, the hair loss part is temporary.

Edited by catwoman7

As the others have said: it’s just a part of the experience. Your natural Hair loss cycle accelerates as a result of the shock of the surgery, stress, anaesthetic, decreased Protein intake, dietary changes, etc. The hair you lose was destined to be shed it just happens a bit faster than usual. Just keep on top of your daily protein goal & take your Multivitamins. Taking additional supplements that supposedly stop hair loss or strengthen your hair will only help new growth not the hair on your head which is already dead if it does anything. Nothing happens to your new growth cycle so you still ate growing new hair while your losing just at it’s usual rate. A lot of us cut our hair shorter so the new growth doesn’t have as much to grow to catch up plus short hair always seems to look thicker.

Same with your skin. Protein is important. You can try taking collagen & silica. Keep it well moisturised & regularly exfoliate. You may look more gaunt & tired for a while but it does settle once you start maintaining. Genetics, age, highest weight, length of time being obese all influences how much your skin has been stretched, how much will bounce back & how much loose skin you end up with.

All the best.

I am 42, 5’8” started at 235, currently 169 and losing and I do not have any loose Skin nor did I lose any hair yet and I am almost 9 months out. I was very lucky in recovery and i was able to get my Protein in from day one (i think that helped with the hair) I imagine if I get too much smaller I may still get some loose skin but like catwoman said it should not be extreme. My NP said just not to expect to have a six pack. Fingers crossed. I think that’s really all we can do.

1 hour ago, ShoppGirl said:

I imagine if I get too much smaller I may still get some loose skin but like catwoman said it should not be extreme. My NP said just not to expect to have a six pack. Fingers crossed. I think that’s really all we can do.

That’s what happened to me. Reached my goal & had hardly any loose skin at all. Little pinch at the top of my thighs & my arms (bat wings) were a little empty. Actually was quite chuffed about how little I had but then I lost that additional 11/12kgs & there it was. Mind you I still don’t have much at all. Not worth having surgery. And I can wear a body con dress without ‘suck it in & hold it firm knickers’ & you can’t tell I have any loose skin. I was 54 when I was losing. I had been at my highest weight for about 4 years & prior to that I’d been bouncing between my usual 60-75kg range. Genetics also helps.

On 12/20/2021 at 6:14 AM, Jessica1024 said:

Due to Covid delays I am about 8 months out from gastric sleeve. What can I do, take, ingest, rub on, tie up (lol) to prep my skin and hair prior to surgery to prevent as much damage control as possible. I am 5’6 225 body type is apple shape (or frog shape as I call it.) and I’m 45

My surgery day is May 3rd, and I have already started taking the Biotin that is recommended. I also take a collagen supplement and I wash my hair, and use a hair mask, with keratin and biotin in it. I'm also upping my Protein intake and I make sure to take Vitamin E. I also use a scalp massager in the shower when I wash my hair (clears the scalp of dandruff and also stimulates blood flow). For skin, again the collagen and vitamin E are really good. I also use a gentle cleanser that doesn't strip my skin, I use a hydrating toner, a Vitamin C serum, a light moisturizing cream. At night I use a pore cleaning cleanser, a hydrating toner, a hydrating hyaluronic acid serum, and a heavier moisturizing cream. I'm doing what I can now to minimize issues with my skin and hair before surgery, and since they are good habits to get into anyway, I want it to become 2nd nature so I can hopefully lessen any issues and continue to take care of myself.