Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bucket lists — where to begin?

Hey folks! I’m rounding into my two year surgiversary, and am just so grateful for the surgery and the health it has given me.

I find myself feeling a bit like a baby bird ready to leave the nest and start truly living (as much as a 45 year old woman, married with two kids can be considered a baby anything!). That being said, I’ve lived such a limited life, I really haven’t figured out what I want to do with the freedom this surgery has provided.

My beginnings of a bucket list include running a half marathon and working up to do five pull-ups. It’s pretty modest so far. 😉

My question: what’s on your bucket list? What bold things are you dreaming of doing in the next year, five years, etc.

I love cruises but shore excursions have always been difficult for me due my weight. I took a cane and a rollator on my last cruise (to Alaska), but I still had to sit out some outings.

My first bucket list item is already booked: a solo 6-week-long trip four months after surgery. The trip includes two trans-Atlantic crossings by ship and two weeks touring England.

Bucket list 2: I want to be as fit as possible so that I can WALK on the excursions. I'm already building endurance by swimming up to 1/2 mile 2-3 times a week. I'm hopeful that the weight loss will enable me to walk a mile or two without pain or shortness of breath.

My third bucket list item will be to buy a new wardrobe that will fit my new body.

The fourth thing on my bucket list to figure out how to pay for all this!

These are my favourite questions on this forum! I love reading everyone’s replies 🥰

My bucket list is:

- Go to a trampoline park/playground for adults (they look SO cool!)
- Visit Florida and go to a crazy waterpark
- Take surfing lessons (on holiday somewhere, the North Sea isn’t very appealing 😆)
- Run a 10k in Disneyland Paris
- Go on a canopy walk with a tour guide in Costa Rica
- Go on an ecological/animal friendly safari
- Hike down and back up the Grand Canyon
- Take some sort of martial arts class to learn how to kick some serious butt 😄

- … 

This is nowhere near complete! So I have a lot of dreaming and saving up to do 😁

On 12/19/2021 at 5:33 PM, Sunnyway said:

Bucket list 2: I want to be as fit as possible so that I can WALK on the excursions. I'm already building endurance by swimming up to 1/2 mile 2-3 times a week. I'm hopeful that the weight loss will enable me to walk a mile or two without pain or shortness of breath.

Oh that's a GREAT goal. I too love to cruise and have 5 planned for 2022 (some of them are make-ups for 2020 covid cancellations) and as anyone who has cruised knows, traveling is not for the timid or out of shape! 😁 I started back to the gym 5 weeks ago to prepare for my June European River Cruise on the Danube, which will entail a LOT of walking on excursions to explore those fabulous cities.

On 12/20/2021 at 9:54 PM, Honey10604 said:

I really hadn’t thought about it until I read this post and the first thing that just came to mind that I wanted to do before but felt I weighed to much to do is zip line. So that is number 1 on my list. 😃

I always kinda wanted to try that too but was over the weight limit of 250 pounds before.

That's a good question. Hmmm.

BUCKET LIST #1 - maybe write a book about WLS and/or weight loss and dieting in general. Although there are millions of them out there already. Or maybe a blog or Instagram page about it. Dunno.

BUCKET LIST #2 - work with a personal trainer to define my arms into muscle and toned biceps.

BUCKET LIST #3 - maybe buy a piece of gym equipment for at-home use to get extra workouts and activity throughout the day during "down" time.

I have been (im)patiently waiting 2 years to cross one of my final bucket list items: to go diving in a perfectly fitting women’s sized wetsuit (not a too-long limbed men’s size XL that I used to wear) WITHOUT having to load up on almost 20lbs of weights in my BCD to counteract all that fat that was keeping me buoyant.

COViD has been blocking me from doing this (I’m in Canada and need to FLY somewhere to do this, dammit!)…but fingers crossed this will finally happen by the end of this year 🤞🏼

22 hours ago, huskymama said:

I’ve wanted to hike the Appalachian Trail since I was 15. 2023 will be my year - anyone else want to join me? A group of us doing it together?!

Not my cup of cup of tea, but would LOVE to see pics of this adventure! Do it, do it!!! ❤️❤️

Now if anyone is interested in lazing around a beach somewhere being served drinks with tinee tiny umbrellas, call me. Lol 😂😂 (after all this covid business is over, ha!)

ms sss love it! I wouldn’t mind a pool at a nice resort in a warm area for sure!! My sons, age 17 and 19, are going with me. I may not be able to hike the entire AT trail but I’m gonna try as long as I can then I’ll really need that R and R by the pool lol

I have two bucket list items planned for this year:

1) I am going to Galapagos in Feb. It's a fairly active tour with snorkeling, hiking and kayaking.

2) I am going to climb Kilimanjaro, then do an animal safari, and then go to Zanzibar and scuba in Jun/July. I am hiking and exercising to get ready for this as it's going to be an immense physical and mental challenge but I am SO excited!

I love kayaking, canoeing, swimming, basically anything in and on the Water that’s quiet. I’m working my balance endurance up through yoga to balance board paddling.