Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nausea after dinner??

Hi all!

Had my surgery on 22nd November so im almost 4 weeks post op.

The last 2 weeks though, ive noticed ill become really nauseous about an hour after dinner. Ive noticed its around when i take my Iron supplement and rabeprazole(only have 2 doses of that left) .

Im just finding it weird, its only after dinner ill have the nausea. Not sure if its because of the pills? Or something else? I knew nausea would be a side effect i might experience but the same time each day?

Im not usually the one to vomit either but have been quite close to it at times! Takes me about 5-10mins of like meditating to make sure i dont vomit and then all of a sudden its gone.

Has anyone experiences anything similar?

Of course ill be asking my surgeon at my next appointment.

I experienced nausea in the morning with my Vitamins when I wasn’t taking them with much in my belly but now with a Protein Shake I am fine. Maybe you are just more sensitive to them. I would try skipping the Iron or taking it at another time and see what happens.

since it's at the same time every day - and after you take Iron - I'd suspect the same thing. Plus iron DOES give some people G/I distress. Maybe take it before you go to bed? Or switch to another form of iron that's less likely to cause G/I issues? (heme iron and carbonyl iron are two forms that cause fewer problems - but there are others as well. Check the internet (but only reliable sources, of course) - there's a lot of articles on this)

Yes, I had the same thing happen yesterday. I had ate a half hour before taking my Vitamin capsule. The nausea started about a half hour after taking the vitamin. I’m guessing this is when the capsule dissolved. Today I took the vitamin with my food. So far so good. Yesterday I took deep breaths and the nausea passed pretty quickly.

8 hours ago, Babin.jessica1993 said:

I don't have to take Iron but I do have to make sure I have something in my stomach when I take my pls. Iron can be alot. Also had my surgery the same day so If you have any meal ideas please let me know bc im struggling

Might need to change when i take that iron pill, or stop it🤔 oh awesome! Well it depends which diet your on now, my surgeon has allowed me to go to soft foods but most of what im eating has been puree still, wanting to take it slow. pureed shepherds pie, mango, yoghurt, baked fish is quite soft and agreed with me. Theres a book by Sally Johnston that has heaps of bariatric surgery meals in it, its been great so far! But taking it slow and trying out different foods to see what agrees with you is what ive been told to do

My surgeon gave me the Sally Johnston book too (gift with purchase 😂). I found it really helpful in the beginning as well when I was wrapping my brain around everything.

Iron is renowned for causing nausea as can general Multivitamins (specifically Vitamins C, A, D, E & K) . if you’re taking them after eating & your still nauseous trying splitting the dose if you can - one in the morning & one in the evening. Make sure your not doubling up on vitamins - like is there iron in your multi Vitamin as well? Look for a lower dose, a different brand or a different form of iron like @catwoman7 suggested.

I only had to take multivitamins but I was so glad when my surgeon supported my request to stop taking Multi Vitamins (at about 8 months & 2 months post goal). I’m fortunate I absorb all the nutrients I need from what I eat

Good luck.