Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’ve read intermittent fasting might be the way to get by on the lower calories if I need to maintain that. To be honest I’m pretty much forcing myself to eat at the moment. I can easily see doing two meals a days and having 1000 calories.

9 hours ago, Valboosky said:

I’ve read intermittent fasting might be the way to get by on the lower calories if I need to maintain that. To be honest I’m pretty much forcing myself to eat at the moment. I can easily see doing two meals a days and having 1000 calories.

You're 5'11 and at 385. You could eat 3,000 a day and still lose, man ;) Why not bounce around 1400 for a while and see? (I mean, follow your plan yadda yadda, but adding extra restriction will proooobably lead to the pendulum swinging the other way at some point).

I'm about the same as you guys. My goal is/was around 220 and I've been hovering around 230 for quite some time now and have to say I'm quite happy with it. I've posted this on other sub forums but my fat percentage went from 28 to 25% in my last visit, even though my weight stayed the same in the 3 month period.

Resized_20211010_100107.jpeg

Edited by David_L
adding pic

On 12/20/2021 at 12:26 PM, vikingbeast said:

Yes, that's me at 290 (actually 292 in that photo). People are already warning me not to lose too much weight, but there's still a ways to go... and in any case I literally can't eat enough to overcome my TDEE even if I wanted to. It's slowed down. My primary care doctor says 275 would be fine and really he just wants me under BMI 40 (which I am), but I'd like to see where I can go. I went from size 54/34 pants to size 35/34... if I end up back where I was in college, I'll be in 32/34s.

I have a DXA body fat scan every three months (it's cheap here, about $40/35€/£30) which reads my body fat. The problem is that the body fat measuring weight scales have two settings. If I leave it on normal mode I get a reading of 42% which is CLEARLY untrue. But if I put it on athlete mode, I get 25%, which is also clearly untrue, though closer. They need to have "kinda fit kinda fat" mode!

The last DXA reading last week had me at 31.7% which I was a bit disappointed as I wanted to be under 30%, but it'll get there. Slowly but surely. I just want under 20%. 15% might be a stretch at 45 years old, but it'd be nice to have the beginnings of abs under the loose skin. 😁

I believe your body frame size makes difference with how low their weight goal should be.

Now in the soft/regular diet phase, with Protein intake around 65 to 70, I am bouncing around 800ish calories.

I am still heistant eating more dense food high in cheese and stuff like *ricotta bake* - Am I being hesitant for no reason? And should just go ahead and add more fatty food, ofc heathy fats like Peanut Butter and cheese?!

I do have about 20g of mozarella cheese in a day and may be 1 tbsp of peanut butter every other day. I can include more cheese in my Breakfast with the eggs. But then I don't wanna overdo the cheese. Seeing fat in my daily calorie intake still petrifries me. 🥲

4 hours ago, DaisyAndSunshine said:

Now in the soft/regular diet phase, with Protein intake around 65 to 70, I am bouncing around 800ish calories.

I am still heistant eating more dense food high in cheese and stuff like *ricotta bake* - Am I being hesitant for no reason? And should just go ahead and add more fatty food, ofc heathy fats like Peanut Butter and cheese? !

I do have about 20g of mozarella cheese in a day and may be 1 tbsp of Peanut Butter every other day. I can include more cheese in my Breakfast with the eggs. But then I don't wanna overdo the cheese. Seeing fat in my daily calorie intake still petrifries me. 🥲

I'd factor two things into this thought pattern if I were you:

• The way RNY - and to some extent from what I can gather - MGB patients truly get into regain is by eating quick sugar. Fat is literally the opposite of quick sugar.
  • You'll have to learn what fat does to you, and if you're lucky, your bypass will tell you it doesn't want that much fat, which will turn into a natural preference for a moderate - not low, not high - fat intake.

If I were you, I'd add Protein (15-20g) + healthier fat to get more calories (say, up to 1000).

Or even better - think about something you'd enjoy eating that isn't quick sugar. Maybe some light mozzarella with salt and a quick drizzle of olive oil? I love that as a snack and it's perfect in macros. The enjoyment of whatever you add is important. If it feels like sucky diet food, you'll stop doing it. So really be honest.

10 hours ago, DaisyAndSunshine said:

I am still heistant eating more dense food high in cheese and stuff like *ricotta bake* - Am I being hesitant for no reason? And should just go ahead and add more fatty food, ofc heathy fats like Peanut Butter and cheese? !

I do have about 20g of mozarella cheese in a day and may be 1 tbsp of Peanut Butter every other day. I can include more cheese in my Breakfast with the eggs. But then I don't wanna overdo the cheese. Seeing fat in my daily calorie intake still petrifries me. 🥲

Congrats :) I love reading your posts, to add on I also had no goal given and stuck around 600/800 the first 5 weeks (I had a lot of nausea), after that, I have been around 1000, which I think is likely where I will hang out for the foreseeable future assuming my hunger stays about the same :).

My RD was very keen for me to eat cheese or another source of fat such as olive oil or avocado as early as possible, so I say go for it to your comfort! I found it didn't cause any craving issues or head hunger either, only carbier things do that for me. I have seen other people given a limit of 35g for fat intake, which I gently try to remain below for calories at this stage, but generally good fats are exactly that nothing but good and very vital for lots of stuff including brain function.

I can't rave about cheese enough tbh, even though its high fat it never makes me ill and its stomached really easily, it was the only food that didn't make me nauseous. I love the light baby bells, cheddar, light laughing cow triangles, cheese sticks and eggs baked with (full fat) cottage cheese. I mostly ate cheese from week 3 to week 5... sometimes 5 portions a day, it had no effect on my weight loss (8lbs). (I know it wasn't the best but anything except cheese and yogurt made me want to hurl!)

Personally, (you seem fine but adding for any others reading) I would avoid nut butter for a bit longer or have a very small amount with something you know you tolerate well at first, they make me very ill still for some reason (I was fine before surgery).

Good luck! whatever you do will be fine in the end!

I'm 3 years post-op and average around 1,000 calories a day.

One thing that is oft overlooked in terms of weight loss/weight maintenance is muscle mass. Generally speaking, the higher the muscle mass, the more efficient one’s metabolism becomes.

From a very un-scientific study of a sample of one (i.e., me, lol) when my body fat percentage was at like 12-15%, I was able to maintain a weight of approx 115 lbs while consuming well over 2300+ cals a day. These days, I am at about 23-26% body fat (119 lbs today) and maintain at around 1800 cals a day. Of course there are other factors at play: I eat way more carbs now than then, and I exercise about 60-70% of the the amount I used to.

I think weight loss and maintenance is/will be a forever ongoing series of checks and balances that require monitoring and adjustments and resetting of expectations as needed. I came to terms long ago that this is not a “set it and forget it” type of thing. If I want to stay this way, i have to make some effort to do so…and, if I am unwilling, then I will have to change what I want.

Good Luck! ❤️