Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Only 9 pounds almost 4 weeks post op

That sucks, I'm sorry you're struggling!

Are you tracking what you eat (and maybe drink?). What kind of calorie level are you looking at on a day to day basis?

how far out are you? Those amounts are low, but not crazy low. If you're early out (like within the first couple of weeks post-surgery), focus more on the fluids since being dehydrated can land you back in the hospital. I was able to meet my Protein requirements right away, but it can take a month or so for some people to reach them.

Never mind - I just noticed the title of your post - almost four weeks out. Just keep working at it. It does take some people longer to get their protein intake up. And like I said above, yours isn't crazy low.

having the first stall within the first month is SUPER common, so you may just be in a stall if you're not losing weight. Are you following your program to a "T"? If so, the stall will eventually break and you'll be on your way again...

also, I don't know what your starting BMI/weight is, but if it's on the low side (for a WLS patient), you're not going to lose as quickly as someone who starts out at over 300 lbs...

Edited by catwoman7

Try using Protein Water. It’s not the greatest, but will help you get your Fluid and protein at the same time. Bone Broth with Protein Powder is a good option too. When my protein is low for the day, I sometimes have a BariWise protein Soup. I add some Sriracha to spice it up.

I’m having the same worry! Monday will be 4 weeks for me (RNY on 11/22), and right now I’ve only lost 11 pounds since surgery. I have no problem getting enough Protein — 60-90g, right from the start — but I do struggle to drink more than 40-50oz of Water each day, and I’m definitely not walking as much as I should. I know my weight loss will be less dramatic than someone who had a higher starting BMI, but I wonder if I’m on track. I just transitioned from liquids to soft foods at the start of the week, and I find myself worrying (a tiny bit) about the “extra” calories…crazy, right?!

I know everyone has their 2 cents, so here go mine;

1- Water first! If you are at work that can be difficult. I downloaded an app to remind me to sip water every 5 minutes.

2- I love the great value black cherry Water Enhancer that Walmart carries. Find a flavor you like if you are like me and can't stand water straight.

3- The chocolate body fortress whey isolate Protein powder was my gift from God! I tolerated it well and drank 3 scoops a day. That's 90 grams of carbs a day just with them.

I hope that helps. Congratulations on your successful surgery and stay motivated. The weight will come off. :)

15 hours ago, Fl_Dad said:

I know everyone has their 2 cents, so here go mine;

1- Water first! If you are at work that can be difficult. I downloaded an app to remind me to sip Water every 5 minutes.

2- I love the great value black cherry Water Enhancer that Walmart carries. Find a flavor you like if you are like me and can't stand water straight.

3- The chocolate body fortress whey isolate Protein Powder was my gift from God! I tolerated it well and drank 3 scoops a day. That's 90 grams of carbs a day just with them.

I hope that helps. Congratulations on your successful surgery and stay motivated. The weight will come off. :)

I agree with adding a flavor packet to your water... I also like the Walmart brand, as well as the Starburst brand pink and blue flavors. You can get those at a Walgreens and Walmart.

But your weight loss sounds fine to me! Don't Panic!

Don't freak out. Seriously, it will be okay. If you look up "three week stall" on BariatricPal, you will find almost 20,000 posts about it. It happens a LOT. And it's nothing you're doing wrong—it is literally your body rebalancing itself (particularly fluids) after a traumatic surgery. It will break. Mine did—it came late and lasted about a week and a half and suddenly WHOOOOOSH went the scale. I had all the same worries and made a post here and everything.

It WILL break. You will continue to lose weight! And once you're fully on solid foods you'll feel the restriction.

I had the bypass 11/30. 3 weeks out I am only down 16lbs. I get your frustration! Following everything to the t. Getting in the right amount of Protein and fluids. Was hoping I’d feel all of this is worth it but haven’t yet. All I can say is stick to it and hopefully the progress will follow. That’s what I keep telling myself anyways!

Don't freak out. Seriously, it will be okay. If you look up "three week stall" on BariatricPal, you will find almost 20,000 posts about it. It happens a LOT. And it's nothing you're doing wrong—it is literally your body rebalancing itself (particularly fluids) after a traumatic surgery. It will break. Mine did—it came late and lasted about a week and a half and suddenly WHOOOOOSH went the scale. I had all the same worries and made a post here and everything.

It WILL break. You will continue to lose weight! And once you're fully on solid foods you'll feel the restriction.
I'm worried because I didn't log anything! Taking care of my hospice mother and my husband thought now was a good time for a puppy! I started second guessing myself. Did I eat to soon before the 14 days. Am I eating to much. I do know now my smoothies are to thick. I just found out that it is supposed to be as thin as mill. I hope I didn't cause this to be a wreck! I don't know how to look up other posts on baritricpal on This app . Thanks for thr kid words. I've been really upset. Thank you

Sent from my SM-A716U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had the bypass 11/30. 3 weeks out I am only down 16lbs. I get your frustration! Following everything to the t. Getting in the right amount of Protein and fluids. Was hoping I’d feel all of this is worth it but haven’t yet. All I can say is stick to it and hopefully the progress will follow. That’s what I keep telling myself anyways!
It took me a while to get all the Water in. I measure the protein I'm supposed to have for the day. At this point I'm not sure of anything! I keep second guessing it all. My friends all had this surgery and lost 20 to 40 pounds the first month. Yes I'm older and can't walk that much with a bad hip. I'll just keep trying. I'm gonna write my nurse tomorrow. I just don't know what else to do. I need to start logging everything. I just don't have the time or mental energy with my mother needing all my time. Good luck to us!

What was your start weight and how tall are you? If you lost a lot of weight just before surgery your immediate post op weight loss is generally lower.

It doesn't pay to compare ourselves to others in the first few months to many variables.

18 hours ago, GiGi 1970 said:

I'm worried because I didn't log anything! Taking care of my hospice mother and my husband thought now was a good time for a puppy! I started second guessing myself. Did I eat to soon before the 14 days. Am I eating to much. I do know now my smoothies are to thick. I just found out that it is supposed to be as thin as mill. I hope I didn't cause this to be a wreck! I don't know how to look up other posts on baritricpal on This app . Thanks for thr kid words. I've been really upset. Thank you

Hold on, I'm about to use SCIENCE!

Your body has a set number of calories it burns even if you are completely inert (sleeping, G-d forbid in a coma, etc.). It's called your basal metabolic rate (BMR). It fluctuates with your weight and with how fast your metabolism is. For, say, a 40-year-old, 5'4" woman who weighs 250 lbs (not unusual for a bariatric patient), BMR is around 1800.

Now add on any kind of daily living to that, which required calories, and you end up with a number called total daily energy expenditure (TDEE). If you're the same woman above and you're sedentary, your TDEE might be 2200; if you are one of those nutters like me who goes to CrossFit and goes running and works a physical job, your TDEE might be as much as 3000 calories.

Now. You've had your surgery. You are not physically capable of eating anywhere near that amount. Let's say you're at 800 calories a day.

Simply by eating those 800 calories and existing, your body will naturally be in a 1000 calorie a day deficit. Add in sedentary lifestyle, and you're in a 1400 calorie a day deficit. Generally speaking, about 3500 calories is a pound lost (this is not always true and can be overcome by Fluid retention, fluid balance, hormonal changes, menstruation, eating really salty foods, Vitamin deficiencies, etc.).

Now let's say you're "overeating" and you're doing 1200 calories a day; you're still 600 calories short of your caloric needs just to exist, and 1000 calories short of what you need for a sedentary lifestyle.

You are going to lose weight. You are not going to 'ruin' anything.

What is happening to you is your body is rebalancing its fluids. That is why the "three-week stall" happens. Every body is subject to the rules of CICO (calories in calories out), and eventually CICO will take over from your body's rebalancing and the numbers will drop again. And do measure yourself once a week! Bust/chest, waist, abdomen, hips, thighs, calves, biceps, neck. This week I didn't lose a ton of weight BUT I lost a half inch off my waist, and I can tell because my trousers keep slipping and I had to put a new hole in my belt.

One suggestion: don't weigh every day. And if you can't help it—some people just have to, I'm one of them—keep a running tally and then pick a day, let's say Tuesday, and average your weight over the last seven days. Then use the average weight to gauge progress, not the number on the scale that day.

Where the thick smoothies and things come in is that your stomach is still healing from the trauma of surgery. But here's the thing—your body will TELL you when it doesn't like something you eat. It will clam up your stomach. Or make you nauseated. Or have unstoppable hiccups until your stomach empties. Or give you the sniffles (which is SUPER AWESOME during a respiratory pandemic, let me tell you). I ate a bite of an egg roll yesterday and got punished for it.

So... tl;dr... don't worry too much about it, especially at first. Feed your body the Protein and liquid it needs, and then move on to other foods.

Hold on, I'm about to use SCIENCE!
Your body has a set number of calories it burns even if you are completely inert (sleeping, G-d forbid in a coma, etc.). It's called your basal metabolic rate (BMR). It fluctuates with your weight and with how fast your metabolism is. For, say, a 40-year-old, 5'4" woman who weighs 250 lbs (not unusual for a bariatric patient), BMR is around 1800.
Now add on any kind of daily living to that, which required calories, and you end up with a number called total daily energy expenditure (TDEE). If you're the same woman above and you're sedentary, your TDEE might be 2200; if you are one of those nutters like me who goes to CrossFit and goes running and works a physical job, your TDEE might be as much as 3000 calories.
Now. You've had your surgery. You are not physically capable of eating anywhere near that amount. Let's say you're at 800 calories a day.
Simply by eating those 800 calories and existing, your body will naturally be in a 1000 calorie a day deficit. Add in sedentary lifestyle, and you're in a 1400 calorie a day deficit. Generally speaking, about 3500 calories is a pound lost (this is not always true and can be overcome by Fluid retention, Fluid balance, hormonal changes, menstruation, eating really salty foods, Vitamin deficiencies, etc.).
Now let's say you're "overeating" and you're doing 1200 calories a day; you're still 600 calories short of your caloric needs just to exist, and 1000 calories short of what you need for a sedentary lifestyle.
You are going to lose weight. You are not going to 'ruin' anything.
What is happening to you is your body is rebalancing its fluids. That is why the "three-week stall" happens. Every body is subject to the rules of CICO (calories in calories out), and eventually CICO will take over from your body's rebalancing and the numbers will drop again. And do measure yourself once a week! Bust/chest, waist, abdomen, hips, thighs, calves, biceps, neck. This week I didn't lose a ton of weight BUT I lost a half inch off my waist, and I can tell because my trousers keep slipping and I had to put a new hole in my belt.
One suggestion: don't weigh every day. And if you can't help it—some people just have to, I'm one of them—keep a running tally and then pick a day, let's say Tuesday, and average your weight over the last seven days. Then use the average weight to gauge progress, not the number on the scale that day.
Where the thick smoothies and things come in is that your stomach is still healing from the trauma of surgery. But here's the thing—your body will TELL you when it doesn't like something you eat. It will clam up your stomach. Or make you nauseated. Or have unstoppable hiccups until your stomach empties. Or give you the sniffles (which is SUPER AWESOME during a respiratory pandemic, let me tell you). I ate a bite of an egg roll yesterday and got punished for it.
So... tl;dr... don't worry too much about it, especially at first. Feed your body the Protein and liquid it needs, and then move on to other foods.
Thank you so much! My surgery was 11/26. I've lost 17 pounds. I have not gotten my daily walks in like I should. I need a new hip and back surgery. But using a glider 3 days a week.fkr about 15 minutes at a time. I walk in the house and making sure I'm up every 15 minutes for some reason. I'm an older woman that's 5'3 and now 219. Nov 3rd I was 247. I lost 10 pounds before surgery. You took so much time to explain it to me thank you. I'm at another stall. And the wonderful constipated! I take the bariatric fission and have had nothing but dark green stools since surgery..