Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is there anyone who has had gastric bypass and has dreadlocks???? I am doing a lot of my end to try and combat Hair loss as best as I can. Making sure I’m getting my Protein in, other supplements, and collagen, etc. I know hair loss is a part of the surgery but I’m doing what I can to minimize it when I get to that point. I am only 3 weeks ends right now. My dreadlocks fall between the middle of my back and my “bottom.” I was wondering since our hair doesn’t require a lot of manipulation if the hair loss is the same of us. I just wash my hair and keep it up in a bun yo lessen the manipulation. I saw one YouTube say she didn’t lose her locs but she lost her edges. I know everyone’s experience is different, but wondering if I would have to cut off my locs.
Thank you in advance for your responses. 💛💛💛💛

people are kind of across the board when it comes to Hair loss. Some don't lose any at all - some lose a lot - but most of us are somewhere in the middle. It's not really common for it to fall out in noticeable clumps - most people just kind of "shed" for a few months. I didn't lose very much hair. I know I was losing it because I saw a more strands than normal in my combs, but just looking at my hair in the mirror, I couldn't tell. So I'm sure no one else could.

about all you can is keep on top of your supplements and Protein so it won't get any worse than it will anyway, which you're already doing. And keep your fingers crossed! I don't know if not manipulating it would make a difference, but someone else might have experience with that.

Good afternoon,

My SIL had a VSG, she didn't lose any hair at all. Her locs were baby locs less than 2 years old.

My locs were about 3 inches past my bra strap.

My locs started to thin a little at the root, so I changed from twisting them to interlocking.

That made a little bit of a difference, I chose to cut my locs, now they are shoulder length.

My thinning was hereditary and not caused my weight loss.

That said, I keep up with my Water and my Protein to keep the Hair loss to a minimum.

Final answer, no you probably won't have to cut your locs unless you want to.

On 12/14/2021 at 17:56, Jaminthia said:

Good afternoon,

My SIL had a VSG, she didn't lose any hair at all. Her locs were baby locs less than 2 years old.

My locs were about 3 inches past my bra strap.

My locs started to thin a little at the root, so I changed from twisting them to interlocking.

That made a little bit of a difference, I chose to cut my locs, now they are shoulder length.

My thinning was hereditary and not caused my weight loss.

That said, I keep up with my Water and my Protein to keep the Hair loss to a minimum.

Final answer, no you probably won't have to cut your locs unless you want to.

Thank you so much for this. I have been interlocking from the beginning. I have really small locs. Over 300. Plus I used to hike and garden so I had to wash my hair a lot and twisting was pointless. Lol!!!! I now interlock every 4-6 months. I had my hair interlocked a week before surgery so would not have to do any major manipulating and pulling for several months after surgery. I have heard a lot if VSG patients say they didn’t lose any hair because they don’t deal with the malabsorption like we RYN patients do. I don’t know if that is the reason or not. I try not to touch it at all unless I’m moisturizing my scalp or washing it. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR RESPONDING. 💛💛💛💛

On 12/14/2021 at 17:50, catwoman7 said:

people are kind of across the board when it comes to Hair loss. Some don't lose any at all - some lose a lot - but most of us are somewhere in the middle. It's not really common for it to fall out in noticeable clumps - most people just kind of "shed" for a few months. I didn't lose very much hair. I know I was losing it because I saw a more strands than normal in my combs, but just looking at my hair in the mirror, I couldn't tell. So I'm sure no one else could.

about all you can is keep on top of your supplements and Protein so it won't get any worse than it will anyway, which you're already doing. And keep your fingers crossed! I don't know if not manipulating it would make a difference, but someone else might have experience with that.

Thank you for your insight. I will be sure to get my Protein and supplements in and say lots and lots of prayers. ☺️☺️☺️☺️💛💛💛💛

5 hours ago, BirdLady21 said:

Is there anyone who has had gastric bypass and has dreadlocks???? I am doing a lot of my end to try and combat Hair loss as best as I can. Making sure I’m getting my Protein in, other supplements, and collagen, etc. I know hair loss is a part of the surgery but I’m doing what I can to minimize it when I get to that point. I am only 3 weeks ends right now. My dreadlocks fall between the middle of my back and my “bottom.” I was wondering since our hair doesn’t require a lot of manipulation if the Hair loss is the same of us. I just wash my hair and keep it up in a bun yo lessen the manipulation. I saw one YouTube say she didn’t lose her locs but she lost her edges. I know everyone’s experience is different, but wondering if I would have to cut off my locs.
Thank you in advance for your responses. 💛💛💛💛

I have locs (22 yrs now) and I did A LOT of low manipulation and semi free forming when I originally had surgery in the end of 2017.

I was so worried about hair loss I did a ton of research in med journals on treatments for Telogen Effluvium (the type of hair loss most WLS patients experience) you can find a compilation of the journals I found most promising here:

I had mild thinning along my temples and didn’t lose any locs. Pics included❤️

1491EE4D-BA79-48B0-802E-F631213ED991.thumb.jpeg.616594e0c380eb479c334c95b6b0bd5c.jpeg DA3ECCB1-9BFD-4645-80C7-2A04E7781C56.thumb.jpeg.ccd2429caa3c3b81228bc30c02e8d1cc.jpeg 83C2BFD1-C3BB-4FC6-B019-EB780780EB12.thumb.jpeg.9ae76ff6ebe49278a8778c13a4c74039.jpeg 6F14A06A-93D5-4B57-BCB6-A042B395BDC6.thumb.jpeg.c48f3ebc7072f53458f4467e071c65f2.jpeg 84D0BE58-0FF1-4C98-B46B-5A3B8319EEB6.thumb.jpeg.02aabb33b0406f5add36602af4c44fea.jpeg 0973DA71-832F-4D49-86AA-09CAE7699136.thumb.jpeg.083327e2bb4ac7545b1b5f4d9832bd36.jpeg 5E0DC617-C608-4CEC-AC6B-2D97EAF1BB18.thumb.jpeg.00d21df66d9cdcf3afd76669b93b7b09.jpeg

Edited by GreenTealael

12/14/2021 06:54 PM, GreenTealael said:

I have locs (22 yrs now) and I did A LOT of low manipulation and semi free forming when I originally had surgery in the end of 2017.

I was so worried about Hair loss I did a ton of research in med journals on treatments for Telogen Effluvium (the type of hair loss most WLS patients experience) you can find a compilation of the journals I found most promising here:

https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/421061-worried-about-hair-loss/?tab=comments&comment=4718574&embedComment=4718574&embedDo=findComment#comment-4718574

I had mild thinning along my temples and didn’t lose any locs. Pics included❤️

1491EE4D-BA79-48B0-802E-F631213ED991.thumb.jpeg.616594e0c380eb479c334c95b6b0bd5c.jpeg DA3ECCB1-9BFD-4645-80C7-2A04E7781C56.thumb.jpeg.ccd2429caa3c3b81228bc30c02e8d1cc.jpeg 83C2BFD1-C3BB-4FC6-B019-EB780780EB12.thumb.jpeg.9ae76ff6ebe49278a8778c13a4c74039.jpeg 6F14A06A-93D5-4B57-BCB6-A042B395BDC6.thumb.jpeg.c48f3ebc7072f53458f4467e071c65f2.jpeg 84D0BE58-0FF1-4C98-B46B-5A3B8319EEB6.thumb.jpeg.02aabb33b0406f5add36602af4c44fea.jpeg 0973DA71-832F-4D49-86AA-09CAE7699136.thumb.jpeg.083327e2bb4ac7545b1b5f4d9832bd36.jpeg 5E0DC617-C608-4CEC-AC6B-2D97EAF1BB18.thumb.jpeg.00d21df66d9cdcf3afd76669b93b7b09.jpeg

Thank you soooo much!!!! Your locs are beautiful 💛💛💛💛. I’m only 4 years in, but I was praying I wouldn’t have to cut them. I interlock every 4-6 months. My locs are really small. I have well over 300 of them. They’re not sisterlocks through. This is super helpful, Love 💛💛💛💛

I think the reason for Hair loss is similar hair loss after pregnancy. After giving birth, your estrogen levels drop significantly and more hair goes into the resting stage (the hair stage prior to shedding). Since lots of hair goes into this stage, lots of hair is shed at the same time. Normally (aka non-pregnant), I think only about 10% of your hair is in the rest/shed stage. Our bodies store estrogen in the fat cells so when you lose weight fast due to WLS, your body is flooded with estrogen. As your weight loss slows, the amount of estrogen in your body drops similar to post pregnancy.

I hope you don't have a problem with hair loss and I hope I don't either! I'm just trying to make myself believe that it is only hair and it will grow back. I'll take the long term weight loss with some short term funky hair than long term obesity and long term good (ish) hair 🙂

On 12/15/2021 at 10:24, Flab-U-Less Forever said:

I think the reason for Hair loss is similar hair loss after pregnancy. After giving birth, your estrogen levels drop significantly and more hair goes into the resting stage (the hair stage prior to shedding). Since lots of hair goes into this stage, lots of hair is shed at the same time. Normally (aka non-pregnant), I think only about 10% of your hair is in the rest/shed stage. Our bodies store estrogen in the fat cells so when you lose weight fast due to WLS, your body is flooded with estrogen. As your weight loss slows, the amount of estrogen in your body drops similar to post pregnancy.

I hope you don't have a problem with Hair loss and I hope I don't either! I'm just trying to make myself believe that it is only hair and it will grow back. I'll take the long term weight loss with some short term funky hair than long term obesity and long term good (ish) hair 🙂

Thank you for that information. It all make sense. I have never been pregnant so I didn’t know hair loss was an issue in pregnancy. I tell myself the same thing about weight loss over hair loss, but realistically super attached to my hair. Lol!!!! I almost opted out of the surgery because of the possible hair loss. Yep. It was that serious. Lol!!!! My dietician told me what yo do minimize it and talked me back into the surgery. If it happens, it happens. I’ll adjust and it will grow back. Just trying to stay positive and do what I can on my end. Thanks, Love💛💛💛💛