Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else depressed after surgery?

I had my surgery 11/24/21. I had A LOT of nausea after the surgery which ended up extending my stay in the hospital. I have been struggling to meet my Water goals and following the post op diets. I am not cheating on the post op meal plans but it is hard for me to get the food in. I have been losing weight but I just had this feeling of pointlessness and find myself wondering if I made the right decision or if this was a big mistake. I want to succeed but everything feels so overwhelming. I am not sure if this is normal - hoping this feeling will subside as more time passes? Has anyone else gone through something similar?

My clinic warned of this possibility because of hormonal changes due to the surgery. They recommended reaching out to one's therapist or primary care physician. One should definitely let your surgeon/dietitian know about your emotional upheaval.

I felt blue for a while too! I read somewhere that any anaesthesia carries this risk and couple that with feeling tired, trying to recuperate after major surgery all the while you struggle to drink let alone eat? It’s a perfect cocktail for those feelings to arise. I felt MUCH better a week later, and would really encourage you to reach out to your loved ones so they can support you through this 💕
Be kind to yourself, be proud of yourself! You took a major step that took a lot of courage 💕

yeah initially post surgery . Your body and mind is going through alot of changes so its expected I guess. The head hunger I had didnt help either but with time, everything settles.

I get a bit depressed after any big life event I've been working toward, even when it's a good one like the surgery.

I'm a singer, and I get down after a big performance, even when it goes well. I think it's a letdown of sorts when something big is over.

7 hours ago, BariJen said:

I had my surgery 11/24/21. I had A LOT of nausea after the surgery which ended up extending my stay in the hospital. I have been struggling to meet my Water goals and following the post op diets. I am not cheating on the post op meal plans but it is hard for me to get the food in. I have been losing weight but I just had this feeling of pointlessness and find myself wondering if I made the right decision or if this was a big mistake. I want to succeed but everything feels so overwhelming. I am not sure if this is normal - hoping this feeling will subside as more time passes? Has anyone else gone through something similar?

I had my surgery the same day as you. I also had a extended hospital stay [5 days] because of swelling in my new tummy making me constantly vomit up every time I ate or drank. I had a miserable 2 weeks of this and felt like a fool for putting myself through this. My family were very worried for me and that made me feel more depressed. Then I got a urine infection turning my urine bloody which meant more meds to take

I rang my dietician and she said - look just take the liquid penicillin. Try and drink as much as possible. Eat broth and rest as much as you can. Taking the pressure off worked after 2 days. I have 6 tiny meals a day, 2 of yogurt, 2 of Soup and 2 of sieved cottage cheese. I am much better now and can sleep laying down. My mood has lifted and I am now taking all my meds and Vitamins. I will play it by ear as to progressing to the next level next Wednesday.

I hope you get the break you deserve too and see a little light down the line.

9 hours ago, BariJen said:

Yes go back and read all my posts,I was a mess, i am 5 months out its getting easier but yes a lot of people go through what you are going through. ((Hugs))

It is not at all uncommon immediately post op. Reach out to a therapist if needed. Typically it does not last long.

Completely. My RNY surgery was 12/1 I had a really rough time in the PACU (post-surgery recovery); my blood pressure kept spiking and O2 levels kept dropping. I was there for 6 hours and it was like a terrible fever dream. Meanwhile, I think I kind of underestimated how much pain would be involved. I do tend to bounce back quickly from surgery, but the past week has been really grueling. And while I'm *very* fortunate not to have much trouble with nausea or swallowing liquids, I miss food terribly. On Friday night, after picking out a Christmas tree, my family got Mexican take-out. Just smelling the food in the car caused me to burst into tears, knowing tonight would be another f'in Protein Shake and jell-o for me. My husband — who usually is pretty understanding and supportive — told me I needed to just get over it. That was a *special moment.* 😑

But I identify with your emotions right now. I just don't care about anything. Nothing sounds fun; everything feels like more effort than it's worth. I am desperately hoping this turns around soon.

Thank you all for discussing this. I appreciate all of you for being honest, as it helps a newbie like me know that what I am feeling is normal. I am 16 days post op and today was a bad day. (Back to vomiting and horrible bubbles.). All I have wanted to do all day was lay in the bed and regret my decision to have gastric bypass. Being from Louisiana, life rotates around food, and not being able to enjoy boudin and king cake is a let down. Last night we had family pizza night and I sat there with a spoonful of mashed potatoes. I wanted to cry so bad.

So I appreciate everyone’s honesty here. I know that I’m not alone in my thoughts. I know things will get better. I am 4’10” tall and at my heaviest I was 267 pounds, so needless to say I was headed down a bad path, so I know deep down I made the right decision. It’s just rough.

Anyway, thank you to anyone who reads this for allowing me to vent. And thank you all again for your stories. I appreciate it greatly!

I had a hard time until i was out of the liquid stage. It was so hard for me because i was in liquid a month before surgery so i missed thanksgiving and had my surgery 12/22/21 I had to stay too because i was also throwing up. I got out Christmas Eve but they didnt want to release me even then until i told the Dr my 2 teenagers where home alone and I didnt want to have them alone on Christmas. But now, 6 + weeks out I am actually really in great spirits and have been since about day 10. I think everyone here are correct that its normal.

Yes! I was thrilled to be out of the hospital, it was a horrible stay with poor nursing care due to the pandemic.

However, when I came home, vomiting continued for weeks. Because I was not cooking, my family would get all types of carry-out that normally I would enjoy with them. So depressing. I missed the food and being with them to eat.

When the vomiting stopped, and I was able to at least have a french fry, I felt that I was not being deprived, and my mood lightened. The eating plan became more natural, and not so regimented.

To the original poster, a couple months have passed since your post, I hope you are feeling better both physically and mentally. 😀