Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Upcoming Surgery Advice

Hello, I’m new here so I hope this post is ok.

I am a 47 year old man in the UK who went from being a 10 stone fit guy in my 20s to being 23 stone now. Tried diet after diet and yo-yo’d so much I went dizzy!

I am paying privately for a gastric sleeve in January 2022 and my partner seems to have more concern than me.

I feel I have done plenty of research but the two questions my partner keeps asking are:

1) will you ever be able to have more than a couple of drinks of alcohol (wine) in future

2) will you ever be able to go for a nice meal again (not just diet food)

we are a social couple and like to enjoy nights out but my biggest concern is I want to be healthy and look healthy so not drinking alcohol at all for a while and small meals isn’t a problem. We are both just wondering what happens say 12 months down the line could I potentially be able to eat a normal meal (normal portions not trailer loads like now) and perhaps enjoy a few drinks on a night out?

Thank you all in advance.

You can drink alcohol again without a problem. Maybe not right away, but I am 3 months post op and drink alcohol when I want to without limits. As far as normal meals out, I go out to dinner a couple times a month. I do not get an appetizer like I did in the past because I will not be able to eat the main course. I usually just order the main and I am able to eat that. If you go to places that load on the food you won't finish, but many normal eating people cannot finish big giant portions either. I can eat most of a 6 ounce filet mignon and some of the veggies....or a piece of fish and veggies. I think you are going to be ok with what you can eat and drink.

29 minutes ago, Tony B - NJ said:

You can drink alcohol again without a problem. Maybe not right away, but I am 3 months post op and drink alcohol when I want to without limits. As far as normal meals out, I go out to dinner a couple times a month. I do not get an appetizer like I did in the past because I will not be able to eat the main course. I usually just order the main and I am able to eat that. If you go to places that load on the food you won't finish, but many normal eating people cannot finish big giant portions either. I can eat most of a 6 ounce filet mignon and some of the veggies....or a piece of fish and veggies. I think you are going to be ok with what you can eat and drink.

Thanks Tony, that makes Me feel a lot more confident. The whole idea of this is to bring my confidence back, look and feel better and reduce what I eat so your response is perfect.

Thank you for taking time out of your day to ply to me.

1 hour ago, ianc74 said:

1) will you ever be able to have more than a couple of drinks of alcohol (wine) in future

2) will you ever be able to go for a nice meal again (not just diet food)

Everyone is different, but for me the answers to both questions are a resounding YES.

I can eat whatever (except excess sugar), but not at “normal” portions. If i had to guess, I probably eat about 1/3 of what an “normal” heathly, similar-sized person eats in VOLUME. But calorie-wise, its almost the same (i eat about 1800-2000 cals a day on average these days). And yeah, its not all diet food (as i sit here with espresso martini in hand and a small container of cashews i plan to eat after i drink this).

I go out to eat at least once a week (more, pre-pandemic, as well as during summer with outdoor dining) and order what i want...especially now that i dont avoid carbs like the plague anymore, lol. I always have take home leftovers if my companions did not already eat my leftovers. I also drink regularly (mostly red wine or vodka with Kahlua or Clamato)

You may be able to do the same, or you may not. This is something you will find out through trial and error.

P.S. i was going to restaurants/parties with food at 3 post-op Granted, I barely ate anything (if at all!) those early days, but it was just about the company for me anyways.

P.P.S. I am a little over 3 years out and have been maintaining below goal weight for 2.5 years. I’m 5’2” 116.5 lbs this morning. Im relatively active.

Good Luck! ❤️

54 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

Everyone is different, but for me the answers to both questions are a resounding YES.

Good Luck! ❤️

thank you so much for taking Time to reply to me, I find this very reassuring. My hope is that I don’t want to eat so much after the operation and it sounds like I won’t be so hungry anyway which is good. I just want to still be able to enjoy life but looking and feeling better.

thank you.

Edited by ianc74

I am 8 months out and I can eat everything in smaller portions I did pre surgery. I still have 11 pounds to goal so I don’t eat the junk anymore but I admit I did try it just to make sure I could tolerate it in moderation when I do get to maintenance. As far as drinking I used to drink rum and Cole zero which I cant have anymore so I tried it with crystal light and it’s just awful. I can’t drink it fast enough to even get a little buzz. It’s just not worth it to me to have that amount of liquid calories so I just don’t drink anymore. But if you like wine or other non fIzzy options you should be fine.

14 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

I am 8 months out and I can eat everything in smaller portions I did pre surgery. I still have 11 pounds to goal so I don’t eat the junk anymore but I admit I did try it just to make sure I could tolerate it in moderation when I do get to maintenance.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. All this information is really making me feel more confident. I hope that after the surgery my food cravings will ease and I won’t be so bothered about big meals anyway.

36 minutes ago, ianc74 said:

Thank you for taking the time to reply. All this information is really making me feel more confident. I hope that after the surgery my food cravings will ease and I won’t be so bothered about big meals anyway.

For most people the cravings and hunger hormones are gone. For me, at least I do not have craving for large portions at all anymore. I do crave things but it’s head hunger and it’s from boredom or emotions. These are pretty easy to identify because you crave something specific, usually something that you shouldn’t have. But yes, post surgery you should be just as satisfied with a smaller meal.

12 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

For most people the cravings and hunger hormones are gone. For me, at least I do not have craving for large portions at all anymore.

I'm still early on (just 4 months out) but honestly I see large portions and there is no longing for them, at all. Actually, quite the opposite. Granted this may change over time but it has been liberating. I hope this sticks around!

Yes and yes. I am a bit over a year out and I can (and do) drink, and I greatly enjoy going out to eat. I just drink wine and beer, and I can’t drink the amount I used to, but I shouldn’t anyway because I’m less than half the woman I used to be.

I don’t eat “diet” food when I’m going out to eat, but I also do try to be conscious of what I’m ordering. My hedonistic days of ordering and finishing a huge plate of food followed up with dessert are over, but that’s for the better. I have a great time going out to eat, and I love trying new breweries and new wines still. Life isn’t over post sleeve I promise. 😊

Great questions! Although I do not drink, it is definitely possible to eat at a restaurant again. I try to view the menu online before I go, to save time and have a plan so I’m not studying at the table. I do eat mostly healthy foods at restaurants, and usually have leftovers. It’s socializing that is the most fun, so all good!