Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cancelling my surgery again??!!

2 hours ago, LadyH said:

They told me I'm supposed to start meds on Sunday,

What kind of meds are they having you start prior to surgery? No one has said anything to me about starting anything new.

34 minutes ago, Sunnyway said:

What kind of meds are they having you start prior to surgery? No one has said anything to me about starting anything new.

Pain meds, nausea meds, pre-surg carb drinks ($180 for two small bottles of sugar water), and one other one that I am waiting to have mailed to me because even the hospital pharmacy didn't have it. No idea what it's for. Sure hope it arrives on time-hah! (Not holding my breath.)

I have my fingers crossed for you that your surgery goes on as scheduled.

LadyH do you have an update please? Absolutely everything crossed for you!!!

Well I am scheduled for Jan 18th it may be postponed I work in a hospital and just received notice they are extending postponing non essential surgery so I may have to wait. As much as I am ready to get this done I understand these are not normal times and we have to be patient the hospitals are overwhelmed. And yes a majority of the people in the hospital are ones Un vaccinated but they are people that need medical attention at this time their life may depend on it. So if my surgery has to get postponed I will just have to be patient sad yes disappointed of course but I also understand why. I hope it goes well for all of us sitting and hoping our surgeries aren’t postponed and it they are it is only for a short time. We all have went through things to get here we just may have to wait a little longer. Good luck to all.

My Jan 4th RNY procedure was just canceled due to the nonvaccinated idiots taking up all the beds at all the hospitals. This is extremely frustrating!

I am 38 years old and I lost my only child in 2020. I am partially doing this for fertility reasons and each delay just prolongs our ability to keep trying.

Edited by LilaNicole20

I’m so sorry you’re surgery has been canceled once again. In Massachusetts where I live our governors administration is now asking hospitals to reduce procedures for non-life-threatening conditions by 50%. This is including bariatric surgeries, hip replacements. Many of the larger hospitals in Worcester, Boston, Springfield are full ICU patients, staff shortages and overload of patients in the ER departments. Plus the uptick of COVID.

Fortunately, my December 21 RNY to RNY Revision is still on. I have had my prep calls from the hospital and am getting my COVID test this afternoon, after which I'll self-quarantine until going to the hospital.

Congrats, glad they didn’t postpone it. I think we are all sitting on pins and needles hoping and praying we don’t get cancelled/postponed. I know when I woke up this morning that was one of the first things I thought about. As much as I don't want them to but I know it is a great chance it may happen. I have my pre-anesthesia appointment on Monday morning. Of course I will be asking questions on likelihood of postponement. I will keep you all updated especially for any of you that may be in Ohio or having procedure done at a Cleveland Clinic facility. I will be praying for all🙏.

A friend was diagnosed with cancer during the pandemic. His cancer surgery was postponed for six months because the hospital was full of Covid patients, and his surgery could have needed an ICU bed afterwards (there wasn’t one available).

Meanwhile, the tumor was growing (possibly spreading) in him. We are at an absolutely absurd place in our country with healthcare.

Hang in there, although it seems that things are getting worse instead of better currently…

I am so sorry you're going through this. It is so frustrating, and I agree with you about our corrupt healthcare system.

From reading comments, some people are blaming unvaccinated for the shut down of elective surgeries. Both vaccinated and unvaccinated are getting covid, so let's (collectively) not get on our high horses about being vaccinated. (I'm vaccinated but don't give 1,000 flips whether a person is vaccinated or not - your body, your choice).

I had my surgery in August 2021 right before the idiot governor stalled elective surgeries. I was on a recovery floor half full of covid patients, all of whom were homeless and put there by the state - such a sham. The only thing that got my surgery pushed through was that I was self pay. My insurance covered it, but I didn't want to jump through their stupid hoops and I wanted control over the timing of the surgery. My surgeon's office staff told me that it helped to be self pay, because after all costs were paid by Blue Cross Blue Shield (my insurance provider), the surgeon only made about $1,500 for my surgery. So they pushed to get me through the day before elective surgeries were shut down by the state.

I pay about $800 a month for insurance. I had Stage 3 cancer in 2019 and still spent about $25k in out of pocket costs. I paid $1,700 for a PT scan myself because it was going to take the insurance company over a month to approve the scan, and since it was cancer I didn't want to wait that long. The healthcare system is broken, and insurance companies are evil.

I 100% agree that politicians should stay TF out of healthcare. They came up with the BS food pyramid and look how great that has worked out for us. (Read Good Calories, Bad Calories, it's shocking how political corruption and food lobbyists in the corn industry and others led to the obesity epidemic in the U.S.). It's the insurance lobbyists and the politicians who suck up to them with their hands out who have screwed us.

Sorry to hijack your post! I'm just very passionate about corruption across the board in the US, especially when it comes to how it negatively impacts us as citizens.

Good luck and keep us posted about how things go for you. Hang in there, the surgery is worth it.

Sent from my SM-N976V using BariatricPal mobile app

I am going to lose my mind. I've waited all year for surgery. Not just bariatric, but 2 additional procedures that must be done to prevent further serious problems. They have cancelled and rescheduled my surgery 3 times already. Anyone in the US knows insurance starts over (usually) on Jan. 1, and now, one week away from surgery, they just called me to let me know they may cancel me again, just 16 days from year's end. I have not been able to get a job, go on vacays, see family, or Celebrate the holidays, all because I've been "on call" for this surgery. In fact, I was supposed to have a much lesser surgical procedure done elsewhere that could easily have been accomplished as far back as last summer, but this bari program doesn't commit to, and isn't accountable for, any obligations or schedule. This is ruining my entire life, and if they cancel again, I don't think I will be able to get it done. They've already charged over $40K in gross charges without one iota of actual health care to improve any medical condition whatsoever. It's all been unnecessary procedures, tests, appointments, etc. I'm wondering how other people can get health care at the drop of a hat, especially if they're in the hospital because they have not gotten a Covid vaccine, but the rest of us, who are personally paying the entire year thousands and thousands of dollars for insurance premiums and copays and coinsurance and deductibles in order to guarantee medical access, are denied. Spoiler: It's us idiots responsible enough to have insurance that are keeping the medical world afloat.
I'm just waiting for the class action lawsuits to start. If this isn't discrimination, I don't know what is. In the US, we literally have governors and mayors calling the shots as opposed to medical experts. It's all political. Since when in the free world do janky politicians decide who gets care and who does not? I am utterly disgusted.

what state do you live in?

Sent from my SM-G973U using BariatricPal mobile app