Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Solution to so much artificial sweeteners?

So I’m still preop, surgery 1/11/2022. I’m starting to wonder about what to do with artificial sweeteners. I’ve found that they are a huge trigger for craving actual seeets and have tried to eliminate all from my diet. I know that once I’m on the liquid phase pre and post op they are unavoidable but I’m sure someone out there has minimized using them so I thought I’d ask. I’d like to not if I could possibly avoid them. Thanks for any advice

I really hope someone can give us some tips because avoiding artificial sweeteners is a major objective as I go forward. I'm a sugar addict, too, and I suspect that my continued use of artificial sweeteners is making my recovery more difficult. So-called "natural" sweeteners like stevia and monks fruit are still heavily processed and no better than Saccharine or Aspartame.

Edited by Sunnyway

On 12/07/2021 at 13:58, Sunnyway said:

I really hope someone can give us some tips because avoiding artificial sweeteners is a major objective as I go forward. I'm a sugar addict, too, and I suspect that my continued use of artificial sweeteners is making my recovery more difficult. So-called "natural" sweeteners like stevia and monks fruit are still heavily processed and no better than Saccharine or Aspartame.

I agree with this completely. I asked my nutritionist and her only suggestion was to use unflavored Protein Powder . That was not very helpful lol

I have always loved sweets, but artificial sweeteners haven’t triggered anything in me post-op. That’s just me and YMMV.

Artificial sweeteners continue to feed your desire for sweet. They’ve many other negative issues too. And you’re right, they seem to be in everything these days. Monk fruit is being pushed as a better alternative but it doesn’t stop the sugar cravings either. Neither do natural sugar alternatives (honey, coconut sugar, molasses, etc.) which are still basically sugar with slightly different glucose & fructose content.

The weight loss stage made it easier to cut out or greatly reduce added sugar & sweeteners. I was only eating Protein, vegetables, dairy & fruit after surgery so little opportunity for added sugar & sweeteners. (I stopped shakes from day 1 purées.)

I prep most of what I eat from scratch myself. It’s the only way to control the ingredients. I carefully check the ingredient list & nutrition panel on any products I do buy. I avoid sweeteners but know there’s some in the yoghurt & Protein Bar I eat but that’s all. I’d rather choose products with low quantities of real sugar than artificial.

I don’t drink carbonated drinks like colas, etc. or juices. I only have cakes, sweet biscuits or Desserts, etc. a couple of times a year. I have a glass of alcohol about once a month.

Our bodies do need some glucose. I get most from naturally occurring sources: dairy & fruit. My daily intake of added sugar is harder to define as total sugars on nutrition panels include naturally occurring & added as one total. I don’t add any myself. I know there’s 2-3g in my Salad Dressing & 1g in my crackers & about 6g if I use a condiment like mint or teriyaki sauce (couple of times a month). My desire for sweet has changed greatly & sweet foods are crazy sweet now.

This is just what I do. Others may have better suggestions, alternatives, experiences or made more changes. It just depends upon how much you’re willing to omit or reduce from your eating plan & if it’s sustainable for you.

Its definitely difficult, especially in those very early days. I try really hard to limit artificial sweeteners for a multitude of reasons, so I totally get it. I do use a SF Syrup in my coffee, but have slowly lowered the amount over time to keep it minimal, and I have a Protein shake/water most days, but that's about it. I am trying to slowly up my intake of whole food based protein so I can cut out the shakes, but I'm not quite 3 months post-op so its still a struggle. Instead of flavoring in my Water I use lemon or lime juice when I want something other than plain water, I opt against "low carb" anything and just go without (breads, Pasta, Cookies, ice cream, etc.),. no SF Jello or pudding or any of that junk. As others have said, its not impossible, its just depends on what degree of abstinence you're comfortable with. I am ok giving up the "treats" I am NOT ok giving up yummy coffee!

Experiment with alternatives and figure out what works for you. It may be helpful to go completely without for a period of time, and then reintroduce only those things that are most satisfying/desirable to you. There is no right or wrong, its a lot of trial and error.

Thanks so much for all the advice. Good to know there are work arounds and successes avoiding it . It is a trigger food for me and I know I’m a food/sugar addict and need to abstain.

I rarely use artificial sweeteners. If I really want something sweet, I use a drop or two of raw manuka honey.