Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One Year With Mini Gastric Bypass: My Journey, Thoughts, and Tips!

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am 68 so that may be why he only bypassed 35”. Don’t think it’s a big issue. But seemed way less than the norm so I have been curious. When I go back for my 6 mos visit in June I plan on asking the surgeon. Thanks for you info. Very helpful and reassuring.

12 hours ago, MiniGastricBypassDude said:

Well it is slow and steady, so hanging there 😂

Almost end of month 2 and I think I'll end up losing about 10 to 11 pounds this month. It's slow compared to others but I think it's fine. It could be because I had lost almost 25 pounds before surgery. Post surgery it'll be another 28 to 29ish. So I think I am getting there. Only 1 major stall for about 2 to 3 weeks and it's going down little by little, so I think it's nice 😂

Have a follow up appt on Feb 1st, so will figure out if any dietary changes are needed.

Generally, bypass length with the MGB has decreased, though - they find people lose weight great with 150 cm bypass, but with less chance of mineral deficiencies.

That makes sense. I think RYN it's lesser than that. Though I completely forgot to ask my surgeon how much was mine. 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

You know what the weirdest thing is? People you know passing by you on the street, not recognizing you. It has happened more than ten times now.

LMFAO 🤣🤣

Weird, bizarre and all sorts of crazy. Well then, may be it's time you ought to say "Hi" to them 🤣

Edited by DaisyAndSunshine

Thank you kindly for all the information and your openness. I’ve re-read your posts several times over the past few weeks, as it’s such an important decision to make, and am scheduled for a MGB on February 24th. Ready for a new start!

On 2/9/2022 at 6:10 AM, HuskyMommy said:

Thank you kindly for all the information and your openness. I’ve re-read your posts several times over the past few weeks, as it’s such an important decision to make, and am scheduled for a MGB on February 24th. Ready for a new start!

HI! How did I miss this one?! Please update us :)

Oh, and ask your surgeon for how long he plans on making your bypass, I wish I had talked to mine about it (I got exactly what I wanted, but I guess that was luck :) )

Small update - this is why I try to tell people you don't have to get to BMI25 to be at goal. I'm at BMI27 and I feel perfect (for the first time ever).

OWW.png

1 hour ago, MiniGastricBypassDude said:

HI! How did I miss this one?! Please update us :)

Oh, and ask your surgeon for how long he plans on making your bypass, I wish I had talked to mine about it (I got exactly what I wanted, but I guess that was luck :) )

I’m having a revision from VSG to MGB. How long should it be for optimum success?

2 hours ago, HuskyMommy said:

I’m having a revision from VSG to MGB. How long should it be for optimum success?

Probably 150 cm will be exactly where you want to be, or 180 max. That's 5-6 feet. Studies do not show longer is always better, it's more like 150 will be exactly right for most, but 200-250 cm for BMIs over 45 or 50.

On 02/11/2022 at 00:03, MiniGastricBypassDude said:

Small update - this is why I try to tell people you don't have to get to BMI25 to be at goal. I'm at BMI27 and I feel perfect (for the first time ever).

OWW.png

You look fantastic!! 😁
I love your mindset, I have tried to surround myself with a lot of body positivity/neutrality pre-op and more importantly post-op, and I am genuinely already liking what I see in the mirror at BMI 30. So what if it’s not “ideal” (yet)? My surgeon is happy, I am happy, and I look damn cute in jeans!!! 🥳
I don’t think I’m done losing yet at 5.5 months po but I’m happy already.. If only I could have told my previous self all about this. 😊

OWW.thumb.png.8d0bd1e44194327270548867e18d372a.png
You look amazing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

You look amazing.

You look amazing.

I know this is an older post but it was so well done I had to comment. I'm having my POS band removed very soon I hate it. It doesn't work long term etc,, The first band was in 2008 and redone in 2014 since then all weight is back. 380 right now.

Question? Why do I read all the bad things here about MGB? stalls, pain, GERD, ulcers, and can never use aspirin again? I chew a baby aspirin every day 83mg for my heart...MGB seems to be the best overall procedure. Thought maybe of the sleeve but heard even worse things about it.

I'm confused as to what to do next as the Band has not proven a long-term solution for me. I'm 58 and don't want to go through this again.

Also, does the stomach still produce hunger hormone which is removed with the Sleeve?

Thanks and great post!

On 10/31/2023 at 6:10 PM, Edward said:

I know this is an older post but it was so well done I had to comment. I'm having my POS band removed very soon I hate it. It doesn't work long term etc,, The first band was in 2008 and redone in 2014 since then all weight is back. 380 right now.

Question? Why do I read all the bad things here about MGB? stalls, pain, GERD, ulcers, and can never use aspirin again? I chew a baby aspirin every day 83mg for my heart...MGB seems to be the best overall procedure. Thought maybe of the sleeve but heard even worse things about it.

I'm confused as to what to do next as the Band has not proven a long-term solution for me. I'm 58 and don't want to go through this again.

Also, does the stomach still produce hunger hormone which is removed with the Sleeve?

Thanks and great post!

Hi Edward,

The original thread starter left the forum ages ago, but I'll try to answer being veteran MGB patient now well into maintenance.

Regarding "bad things". Honestly, EVERY bariatric surgery option comes with issues from mild to (thankfully rarer) serious. It's worth remembering that people on forums like this mostly ask questions when they think things are going wrong or are looking for reassurance. Stalls are common for ALL procedures. GERD is common in the sleeve but not everyone gets it. Pain? Well yeah, it's major surgery so expect it to hurt. Your body has to recover from about five deep stab wounds, being inflated, and then having the stomach cut apart and intestines rearranged. That will take time to recover from! What I think is surprising is how FAST the body recovers considering what it goes through. And if, like me, you have a hiatal hernia repair at the same time, it's another level of pain to wade through, but it does improve.

And I take ibuprofen and aspirin. I was never told "never again". I don't take it frequently, but when I have to, I take it. Nothing horrible has happened, and I AM prone to ulcers. To combat my ulcers, I take Pantoprazole. No biggie.

As for the hunger, it seems different for everyone across all procedures. My hunger came back about six months in. The restriction remains though, and some things have remained permanently off the menu, like coconut milk/cream and more than one bite of bread or potatoes. It's different for everyone, but I really am glad I got the MGB/Omega Loop. Worked a treat, I lost almost 120% of my excess body fat, and my lab results are all great so the Vitamin intake hasn't been an issue.

Thanks for the response. I saw the doctor and discussed options and will go with Sleeve.

2 surgeries, one to remove the band and heal and 2nd 3 months after for Sleeve. He admitted that some doctors do the surgery all at once but cautioned that scar tissue can be problematic.

Think I'll start a new thread about Band to Sleeve. Thanks