Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One Year With Mini Gastric Bypass: My Journey, Thoughts, and Tips!

8 hours ago, MiniGastricBypassDude said:

Can I ask what made you choose MGB over SADI-S? I think I might have done the latter given the option, but I sure am glad I got the MGB in hindsight. It's just such an easy surgery to live with.

SADI-S wasn't even discussed and would have cost me more to have done. MGB offers enough malabsorbtion for me, so even if the option had been there I still would have chosen the MGB.

18 hours ago, Spinoza said:

Absolutely amazing series of posts - thank you so much for taking the time to share. I've had a sleeve but so much of your experience is directly relatable and you have answered a LOT of questions I've been thinking about. I do hope you can stick around now to help us newbies. 👏

Thank you so much! :) Definitely, and obviously feel free to share anything yourself. I definitely didn't mean to exclude sleevers, just wanted to add something else, but you're right - we do share a lot at the end of the day :)

10 hours ago, Smanky said:

SADI-S wasn't even discussed and would have cost me more to have done. MGB offers enough malabsorbtion for me, so even if the option had been there I still would have chosen the MGB.

Definitely, I can still see the malabsorption (literally, won't go into more detail :)). It works!

On 12/6/2021 at 7:45 PM, MiniGastricBypassDude said:

What now?

Now that’s the big question. Weight-wise, I’m going to find stabilization and probably put on the 5-10 bounce-back pounds. That’s fine.

I’m still seeing a bariatric therapist, and I know to reach out – to friends, family, therapist, work – at signs of trouble. I know I take on too much work, and that’s a problematic pattern I’m still working on. I know I need to find and keep finding ways to truly love myself, because that’s the key to saying no, doing things for me, prioritizing myself.

I am excited for where I am, and apprehensive about the next year. This journey has been magical through-and-through, but the compliments will stop, and this will be normal life again. What then?

I’ll keep finding out, and I’ll live by the mottos I taught myself to believe when getting my mind in the right place: I have a right to be here. And I can forgive myself for anything.

Even regain. Even falling into binge eating. Even losing my job. Even ending up single and lonely. I can forgive myself for anything, and that means I’m not scared of anything. Heck, for me it hopefully means I can face anything and deal with it before it becomes a problem.

That’s the most important thing for Year 2.

Love to all of you, thanks to each and every one of you for sharing your life with people like me, and keep being awesome!

Loved this post!!! Canadian self pay here had my mini in June, so happy with my decision! Thanks for the post!!!

Thanks for this post!! Had my mini in June, very happy….no dumping or reflux it’s amazing, don’t even feel like I had surgery haha

1 hour ago, endzone said:

Thanks for this post!! Had my mini in June, very happy….no dumping or reflux it’s amazing, don’t even feel like I had surgery haha

I know, right?! Congrats!

6 hours ago, huskymama said:

You look amazing!!! And I think you look great at your weight! Great job and thank you for sharing!!! I’m having the sleeve didn’t even know if the mini until joining this forum.

Aw, thanks! Yeah, I don't think I look "somewhere in the middle between normal and obese", I think I look pretty ... normal? BMI 27.4 or not. Just built like a 6 foot, slightly worn-out, flesh tank. ;)

Edited by Guest

Thanks @MiniBypassDude I didn’t even know what a MBP was supposed to be and I was pleasantly surprised! My favorite parts of your posts were “start loving yourself,” “forgive yourself,” and “you are worth it.” Honestly this WLS journey really really teaches those important lessons. Thank you for giving back important information and being honest. Congratulations on your healthier life!

18 minutes ago, learn2cook said:

Thanks @MiniBypassDude I didn’t even know what a MBP was supposed to be and I was pleasantly surprised! My favorite parts of your posts were “start loving yourself,” “forgive yourself,” and “you are worth it.” Honestly this WLS journey really really teaches those important lessons. Thank you for giving back important information and being honest. Congratulations on your healthier life!

Thank you so much, I'm glad it was enjoyable to read. Congratulations on your amazing loss in such short time, too. Hugs for everyone! ;)

Thanks so much for posting all this. I’m one of those rare “dudes” here who just had the MGB 3 weeks ago tomorrow. I’ve lost 23 lbs. that’s good I imagine. Go to Dr next week for my 1st post surgery appointment.

ive been very confused as to how and what I can or should eat once I get through this initial 4 week post op period.

lots of mixed messages on these forums so hearing it laid out by another guy is a big help.

I would like to know that once you hit the weight that you should be at, I need to lose another 85 lbs or so, how do you “return to a more normal eating life” and not continue to lose weight? That make sense?

as I go along this new road, I will contact you if I have issues but so far I e had none of the typical post op things most folks do.

by the way, I am 68 so it’s never too late to change your life. Goal is to eliminate future orthopedic issues in the lower extremities.

thanks again for all this.

15 minutes ago, Jerald180 said:

Thanks so much for posting all this. I’m one of those rare “dudes” here who just had the MGB 3 weeks ago tomorrow. I’ve lost 23 lbs. that’s good I imagine. Go to Dr next week for my 1st post surgery appointment.

ive been very confused as to how and what I can or should eat once I get through this initial 4 week post op period.

lots of mixed messages on these forums so hearing it laid out by another guy is a big help.

I would like to know that once you hit the weight that you should be at, I need to lose another 85 lbs or so, how do you “return to a more normal eating life” and not continue to lose weight? That make sense?

as I go along this new road, I will contact you if I have issues but so far I e had none of the typical post op things most folks do.

by the way, I am 68 so it’s never too late to change your life. Goal is to eliminate future orthopedic issues in the lower extremities.

thanks again for all this.

Man, I can't believe there's another guy with an MGB here! Thanks for posting, too.

So here's what I've experienced: at 6 months or so, you start definitely having 'room' for more food - that feeling of complete satiety you feel now starts sloooowly waning. But at the same time, your body starts sending you clear signals it wants Protein and veggies - and sometimes something quicker to burn, because you've dipped too low in calories. At least that's how my body talks to me, still.

Google "post gastrectomy syndrome". It's kinda how we work. You get steered to something that looks like a Mediterranean diet, and your hunger will tell you if you've had enough. No hunger - stick to plan; more hunger - eat a little more, you're too low.

It's very noticeable. My body wanted to stay at exactly 93.5 kg for a good while. On mornings of 93.2, I'd be hungry. Mornings on 93.8, not hungry at all. Then it decided 90ish was probably more to its taste, lost 2.2 kg/5 lbs in literally a week, just three weeks ago. Out of nowhere. Now that's where it wants to be. Again, you won't doubt the signals, that's one of the beautiful features of specifically MGB - the connection between eating and hormonal response is SUPER quick and 1:1.

This might make more sense in 5 months or so, but just follow your plan, and let's talk when you get to that point.

Final important thing for all MGB'ers (and maybe others, I don't know): you'll probably think "ok this is it" a lot during the journey. Hunger returns, you're having a hard time sticking to your calorie limit etc. But then it re-starts when the body is ready and it's super easy. And so on. I've had 6-7 of such start-stop experiences, and some day soon, it'll be the last. And that's fine. I'm at a good weight now.

What I wanted to say: don't stress. You've got a great surgery. I felt completely normal at your stage, too - just satiated all the time :)

Edit: just out of curiosity, how long is your bypass? Mine is 220 cm / 7.2 feet.

Edited by Guest

Thanks for posting. You're very generous with your time, and it's much appreciated.