Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Clear liquids post-Op for 7 days?

So I have been wondering if anyone else here has been put on only Clear Liquids post-Op? Diluted juice, broth, Jello, flavored water, Decaf tea or coffee and plain Water. That's all.

Today is day 6, so almost there. One more day and I can move ahead to full liquids/pureed diet.

Clear liquid phase is told to be done for healing process but there's no Protein nothing. Usually after surgery one needs protein because body is in catabolic stage. So not sure why they no source of protein at all in my phase 1. May be all the protein from pre-Op diet may have been done for the reason.

Clear liquid diet for a week has definitely been challenging especially post day 3. And around day 5ish, weakness and fatigue. Waiting on day 8 so badly to move past this stage.

Anyhow, so anyone else have had similar clear liquid phase post their surgery?

Edited by DaisyAndSunshine

Our surgeries were so close to each other and I am feeling the same as you as far as weakness and fatigue. My diet is very similar except that I can have pureed Soups. I don't think I can have coffee.

Yep, my plan was 1 week clear liquids then 1 week full liquids, and so on. Each program has their own version, some include Protein some do not. I think the goal of such a restrictive plan is to minimize discomfort and potential complications. It is pretty miserable, but thankfully it doesn't last forever!

1 minute ago, LouLouM said:

Our surgeries were so close to each other and I am feeling the same as you as far as weakness and fatigue. My diet is very similar except that I can have pureed Soups. I don't think I can have coffee.

I would kill for a pureed Soup right now 😂😂

We are only allowed "Decaf coffee" - Nothing caffeinated. So tea or coffee. Though I prefer tea and that too "Orange Pekoe"

And weakness and fatigue blows cuz all you wanna do is lay in your bed and hard to do so when you have to fulfill the 2L a day criteria. It's like a full time job drinking/sipping throughout the day 😂

Hopefully once we move onto full liquids/pureed stage, it gets better.

Just now, Sleeve_Me_Alone said:

Yep, my plan was 1 week Clear Liquids then 1 week full liquids, and so on. Each program has their own version, some include Protein some do not. I think the goal of such a restrictive plan is to minimize discomfort and potential complications. It is pretty miserable, but thankfully it doesn't last forever!

Yeh I thought so too. It would help heal the stomach and intestine that went through a full ramage.

Miserable indeed. Good to know there are others who have had similar stuctured program. Ofc every program is different. I was just concerned about losing muscle this week of clear liquids. But that's bound to happen and hoping they'll recover with time. 😊

1 minute ago, DaisyAndSunshine said:

I would kill for a pureed Soup right now 😂😂

We are only allowed "Decaf coffee" - Nothing caffeinated. So tea or coffee. Though I prefer tea and that too "Orange Pekoe"

And weakness and fatigue blows cuz all you wanna do is lay in your bed and hard to do so when you have to fulfill the 2L a day criteria. It's like a full time job drinking/sipping throughout the day 😂

Hopefully once we move onto full liquids/pureed stage, it gets better.

I AM IN BED RIGHT NOW, with a heating pad and the cat! I'm supposed to return to teaching next week; the last week before winter break! 🤣 😭

Yeah, the pureed Soups seemed too "hearty" to me, but I'm doing it. Something simple: garlic satueed in olive oil, then add garbanzo Beans and broth, simmer, then puree 'till it's very thin. I think we're not supposed to have beans (???), but I chose these because there's a bit of Protein.< /span>

Another lifesaver for me has been warm broth. I mix it with Unjury chicken Soup flavored Protein Powder. In another post someone mentioned how warm fluids seem more filling. I find this to be very true. And this Unjury savory powder and broth will be staple for me from now on. Even my kids love it.

I meant that I don't think that I can Decaf. Man, I have been on a liquid diet AND without caffeine for two weeks. No wonder I feel weak and tired!

Hi, yes I had a week of clear fluids and then a week of Soups and shakes. You're almost there and you have done so well - just one and a bit more days to go! Every step feels like a big one towards a completely new way of eating but it's like waiting for the holidays - I get all "hurry uuuuuup!" every single day 😂

Edited by Spinoza

I did pure liquids for 3 days and moved to mashed foods. I do not like eggs or cottage cheese... but on my list is FF Refried Beans... so I did move to them quickly. I know each program is different and your NUT may work with the Dr. office and tailor to you personally but I couldn't do just broth and Jello - no way EVER.

I still have to take omeprazole 20mg per day - I had bad acid reflux the other day and it turns out I had forgotten to take my morning pills and well, suffered the consequences.

Anyone post op have issues with acid reflux OR has their GERD nearly disappeared?

My week 1 was clears plus Protein Shakes. Then full liquids which included yogurts, Jello, Soups, thinned oatmeal, etc. It gets much easier when you on to full liquids and then puree's feels like heaven when you reach that!

I have one week Clear Liquids then two weeks of full liquids before I move on to puree foods. There is very little Protein on the clear liquids but I believe the point is to be sure your organs are healing and not getting any leaks. Probably want everything to move quickly through the stomach for now while the staple line heals.

It's a challenge but worth it.

On 12/6/2021 at 6:42 PM, WildWill said:

I did pure liquids for 3 days and moved to mashed foods. I do not like eggs or cottage cheese... but on my list is FF Refried Beans... so I did move to them quickly. I know each program is different and your NUT may work with the Dr. office and tailor to you personally but I couldn't do just broth and Jello - no way EVER.

I still have to take omeprazole 20mg per day - I had bad acid reflux the other day and it turns out I had forgotten to take my morning pills and well, suffered the consequences.

Anyone post op have issues with acid reflux OR has their GERD nearly disappeared?

I had revision surgery due to severe reflux. I got RNY two weeks ago this Friday. Yes, the day after Thanksgiving is when I did it. Ugh! I haven't had ANY reflux since surgery. I've moved on to smashed refried Beans with no problems, but I'm supposed to be on a clear liquid diet of Protein and broth for two weeks. Full liquids (no bumps or lumps), cream Soups, milk and everything on the clear liquid diet.