Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had a gastric bypass on 11/15. I lost 1 lb at my 2 week check up. Now I'm panicking that something is wrong. I'm eating very little and it is most disappointing, Any advice?

When leaving the hospital you’re likely bloated from IV fluids, surgery itself and your body’s ability to adjust sometimes takes a while. Give it some time, you’ll be on track to where you need to be just make sure you keep up on your Water and Protein.

I agree with the above poster - many people don't loose weight for a week or so because you can gain up to 9-10 lbs from the fluids they fill you with during surgery. Or, you may be in the "three week stall" which can happen early and last for a few weeks.

Make sure you're getting all your Water and Protein, and hang in there!

^^^^ agree 100% with what the above posters said.

It is only a phone call to reach out to your Surgical Team. It is literally impossible not to lose weight after a bypass unless you are just ignoring everything they are telling you to do. There is an explanation along the lines of what others have been saying here.

20 hours ago, lisaw5430 said:

I had a gastric bypass on 11/15. I lost 1 lb at my 2 week check up. Now I'm panicking that something is wrong. I'm eating very little and it is most disappointing, Any advice?

Lisa, hang in there... if you stood on the scale at the Dr's office... it could be off a few lbs and I'm sure you were not butt naked to identify your true weight. So depending upon your clothes, shoes, jacket (it is getting colder at least where I live) these could all be throwing your numbers.

The simple thing to do to determine if your scale is out of whack is to grab an object of a known weight (i.e. a 2lb dumbell) stand on the scale, get off the scale, grab the weight, stand... compare.

Either way 1lb in 2 weeks... uh... unless you are doing massive weight lifting - I suggest a call to your NUT and have them go over your food intake and exercise patterns with you.

Chin up... if you follow their advice... you will see weight come off.

What did your medical team say at your first check up? If they weren’t concerned by your slow loss you probably don’t need to worry too much. Remember they’ve seen it all & understand the vagaries of weight loss. We all lose at our own rate. If it is really worrying you, ensure you measure/weigh & record everything you eat & drink & have a chat with your dietician & medical team. Sometimes a small tweak can make a difference.

@WildWill has a point. What I weigh at my doctors & what I weigh at home is never the same. I always weigh more at my doctors. Clothing, time of day, empty/full bladder, empty/full bowel, how much you’ve eaten or drunk, all affect the number on the scale. My doctors monitor my weight based on their records & I do it based on my own records. If they’re happy I’m happy. A loss is a loss. (Or maintaining is maintaining as in my situation now.)

All the best.

What did your medical team say at your first check up? If they weren’t concerned by your slow loss you probably don’t need to worry too much. Remember they’ve seen it all & understand the vagaries of weight loss. We all lose at our own rate. If it is really worrying you, ensure you measure/weigh & record everything you eat & drink & have a chat with your dietician & medical team. Sometimes a small tweak can make a difference.
[mention=411041]WildWill[/mention] has a point. What I weigh at my doctors & what I weigh at home is never the same. I always weigh more at my doctors. Clothing, time of day, empty/full bladder, empty/full bowel, how much you’ve eaten or drunk, all affect the number on the scale. My doctors monitor my weight based on their records & I do it based on my own records. If they’re happy I’m happy. A loss is a loss. (Or maintaining is maintaining as in my situation now.)
All the best.

I understand your fear. I'm almot 4 weeks post op and I have only lost 8 pounds.

Sent from my SM-A716U using BariatricPal mobile app

Are you taking medications that slow your metabolism? That’s the problem I have to deal with. I hardly lost anything in December, but January was a better month.