Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7 yrs post sleeve---now revising to RNY due to GERD

Hey all, I'm back because I've developed severe GERD, esophagitis and a large hiatal hernia. I had an endoscopy this past Tuesday and they found my hiatal hernia was classified as large, several superficial ulcers, severe reflux/GERD. The esophagram I had a few weeks ago showed esophageal spasms and the results of the endoscopy indicate the spasms are due to the acid reflux. I frequently throw up my food due to the coughing triggered by the spasms. Fun times I tell ya! I saw my surgeon Wednesday and I was already thinking about hiatal hernia repair and asking about if she could do the RNY conversion at the same time. Well, she brought that up before I could. She gave me a few options and the repair and conversion is what I felt most comfortable with. She's having her prior authorization person working on the insurance part. I should hear something before Christmas. We're looking at a possible date of early to mid-January.

Sorry to hear of your GERD problems! I too have GERD and a sliding hiatal hernia so I know how painful and GROSS tasting all of that is. I was thinking of the sleeve but changed my mind due to these issues (surgery is Jan 18). Hopefully insurance will move quickly so you can put all of this behind you. Good Luck!

I had sleeve 2017 and having a revision to bypass Jan. 13 due to 30 lbs regain and GERD. Even Water causes heartburn. I basically sleep half sitting now. I am so nervous but hopeful.

On 1/5/2022 at 2:10 PM, AB2B said:

I had sleeve 2017 and having a revision to bypass Jan. 13 due to 30 lbs regain and GERD. Even Water causes heartburn. I basically sleep half sitting now. I am so nervous but hopeful.

I hope you are doing well!

I am also getting revision due to GERD. I have found ZERO relief. Life is miserable.

Edited by newsam1154

How are y’all doing that have had the revision surgery from sleeve to RNY? I just learned I’ll be having the same soon due to GERD, esophagitis and hiatal hernia.

my sleeve was in 2012 and I lost and kept off 85 pounds. Are y’all losing additional weight? I really just want pain relief but will gladly accept additional weight loss!

On 1/5/2022 at 1:10 PM, AB2B said:

Same issue here. I had the sleeve in 2017 and the acid reflux is so bad I can't lose weight. The only things that temporarily help the symptoms (even while on meds) are bread and milk...so not great for weight loss. Hard to tell if some of the weight I've put on (i lost 100 lbs with the sleeve and have gained half of it back, mostly during covid with being so sedentary) are making the symptoms worse.

Were your GERD issues resolved after the surgery? Did you have any symptoms with your revision? Any changes to what you can tolerate food wise? Mine is scheduled in July and hoping I can move past this pain/discomfort I've had for over a year and get to a place of healthy weight maintenance.

On 2/21/2022 at 12:19 PM, newsam1154 said:

I hope you are doing well!

I am also getting revision due to GERD. I have found ZERO relief. Life is miserable.

I'm so sorry to hear that! Hopefully your surgery will help with the symptoms! When are you scheduled?