Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PreOp Liquid Diet…. Struggling hard.

My surgery is December 7th and I’ve been on Clear Liquids (broth, sugar free Jello, sugar free popsicles) since 11/29. My surgeon doesn’t even allow Protein Shakes pre op. I’m hungry, low energy, nauseous, dizzy, and headache…etc. I called the office and was told that this is his pre op and that ton of patients have made it through fine. I’m considering downing a Protein Shake a day just to survive until Tuesday. I’ve already lost 10 lbs.

Is this the hardest part of the process? I’m good with the changes I have to make post op, honestly can’t wait to meet me 2.0 😊 but I’m struggling and crying tons because I’m so hungry and weak. Do people make it through surgery feeling like this beforehand?

Your pre-op diet definitely sounds stricter than most, but at least it's only for a week. A week of hell, but still only a week (mine was two weeks, some go for three or even four!). It may be a similar diet to the milk diet some are put on? Basically a starvation diet to shrink the liver.

I'm sorry it's such a tough one for you! The pre-op diet is 100% the HARDEST part of the WLS journey, and no one has a good time doing it. Just remember: It's not forever! You've got 3 days to go. Find something, anything to distract yourself and keep your Water up!

@MsTina1984 - Hi surgery buddy! At least we know we’re not alone on the struggle bus. I hope your surgery goes smoothly.

@smanky - I couldn’t imagine doing this for more than a week, there’s no way I’d get through on so little food. I’m a runner and it’s killing my mental health not to be running this week. I’m glad to hear that this is the hardest part. It really is only 3 more days. I really just was looking for reassurance that this was the difficult bit. Thank you.

Edited by cx_wife
Adding a thank you

12 hours ago, cx_wife said:

My surgery is December 7th and I’ve been on Clear Liquids (broth, sugar free Jello, sugar free popsicles) since 11/29. My surgeon doesn’t even allow Protein Shakes pre op. I’m hungry, low energy, nauseous, dizzy, and headache…etc. I called the office and was told that this is his pre op and that ton of patients have made it through fine. I’m considering downing a Protein Shake a day just to survive until Tuesday. I’ve already lost 10 lbs.

Is this the hardest part of the process? I’m good with the changes I have to make post op, honestly can’t wait to meet me 2.0 😊 but I’m struggling and crying tons because I’m so hungry and weak. Do people make it through surgery feeling like this beforehand?

That sounds terrible! But it will be over before you know it. I didn’t watch much regular TV during the pre op diet due to all of the food commercials and I tried to distract myself by going to parks, museums and doing things like that. A good thing for you is that you won’t already be sick of shakes by the time you get to the full liquids phase.

I came across this website yesterday and decided to jump back on to see if I can connect with a few people and you were literally the next post I clicked and the minute I read that your surgery was on December 7th, I immediately signed up so I can reply to your comment. My surgery is also on December 7th and I have been on my liquid diet since November 22nd. I do find it scary that your surgeon is not allowing you to drink Protein Shakes. Your body gets deprived off of so many nutrients and the Protein shakes help your muscles build protein while you are losing body fat in order for your body to keep going throughout the day. I have done so much research on the internet yesterday because of how much I was stressing about this diet and found out that I am going through food grief. I would love to connect with you some more since our surgery dates are the same day. Maybe we can exchange recipes and help push/motivate each other?

the pre-op diet is DEFINITELY the worst part of it! I was actually relieved the morning I checked into the hospital for surgery!

weird that you're not allowed to have Protein Shakes, though. Even the strictest ones (like the one I was on) seem to allow Protein shakes. I was allowed to drink 4-5 of them a day.

2 hours ago, OutdoorsGirl said:

That sounds terrible! But it will be over before you know it. I didn’t watch much regular TV during the pre op diet due to all of the food commercials and I tried to distract myself by going to parks, museums and doing things like that. A good thing for you is that you won’t already be sick of shakes by the time you get to the full liquids phase.

I did drink half a Protein Shake this morning but it made me nauseous, don’t really know what that means. I’m hoping my stomach will be okay once I do start putting things other than clear liquid in. I can’t stomach broth or Jello anymore. I don’t actually get to have a Protein shake until week 2 post op. 😐

Edited by cx_wife

22 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

the pre-op diet is DEFINITELY the worst part of it! I was actually relieved the morning I checked into the hospital for surgery!

weird that you're not allowed to have Protein Shakes, though. Even the strictest ones (like the one I was on) seem to allow Protein shakes. I was allowed to drink 4-5 of them a day.

I did drink half a Protein Shake this morning and it made me nauseous. My stomach doesn’t want anything at this point. I can’t even do broth or Jello anymore. 😞 I’m all Water or crystal light until Tuesday. Super jealous of people that get to eat OMAD or even Protein Shakes. Can’t wait until this is over, I’m relieved to hear that this is the worst of it.

You are nauseous because its all liquid. Its like having the a rolling ocean inside you. I wonder if Calms would help

2 hours ago, Angelica Pena said:

I came across this website yesterday and decided to jump back on to see if I can connect with a few people and you were literally the next post I clicked and the minute I read that your surgery was on December 7th, I immediately signed up so I can reply to your comment. My surgery is also on December 7th and I have been on my liquid diet since November 22nd. I do find it scary that your surgeon is not allowing you to drink Protein Shakes. Your body gets deprived off of so many nutrients and the Protein shakes help your muscles build Protein while you are losing body fat in order for your body to keep going throughout the day. I have done so much research on the internet yesterday because of how much I was stressing about this diet and found out that I am going through food grief. I would love to connect with you some more since our surgery dates are the same day. Maybe we can exchange recipes and help push/motivate each other?

Messaged you 😊

food grief is real. I had it for the first 3 days. I was angry. Normally I would run to blow off steam but there’s no way I can this week, I’d never be able to fuel or recover. The commercials don’t really bother me and cooking for my family doesn’t bother me too much. They did eat a pizza last night and man did I want some! I resisted but I did think about licking a breadstick 😂

3 minutes ago, summerseeker said:

You are nauseous because its all liquid. Its like having the a rolling ocean inside you. I wonder if Calms would help

Calms? I’m not sure what that is. I did take a sip of some anti nausea that seemed to help for a little bit.

Pre-op is definitely the hardest part in my opinion! Your diet sounds very tough. The headaches might be from sugar/carb withdrawal. Similar to what happens when someone starts Keto. Only a few more days though. You can do this!! 🍀

The pre-op diet is super hard. And your sounds like the hardest I've heard of. Mine was 2 weeks of 600 calories a day - I ended up using low carb Meal Replacement shakes x 3 a day because at least I was getting some Vitamins and all my Protein that way. You're on zero calories zero everything - sounds awful. BUT - you've done it, you're doing it, and you only have a few days left. You've got this. 💪

2 hours ago, muffin.x said:

Pre-op is definitely the hardest part in my opinion! Your diet sounds very tough. The headaches might be from sugar/carb withdrawal. Similar to what happens when someone starts Keto. Only a few more days though. You can do this!! 🍀

I started a day early because Tuesday is a super busy day at work. I’m so glad I did because I had a Migraine and was very sick on Monday. The rest of the week has just been a dull headache. I thought it was dehydration but I drink all day so I think it’s just lack of food.

I’m so glad it’s only a few more days. How far out are you?