Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help… I cheated on Pre-op diet TWICE!

Hello to all. I am new here… Any advice / suggestions would be great! My surgery is in 3 days and I cheated TWICE on my 7 day liquid diet 😐 I started my diet on Nov 30th. I cheated with a fast food meal on Dec 1st, got back on track - but then cheated again today with another fast food meal. I told the nurse about the first meal and she said it was okay I had a slip up. But I didn’t get to tell her about the second meal as the office is closed now. I know I can do this - I’ve just been under extra stress lately. My question is - If I strictly stick to it for the next 3 days, should I be okay? Has anyone else gone through this?

Edited by MsTina1984
Title change

How lucky do you feel ? , how much do you weigh ? You are risking your surgeon opening you up and stopping the surgery. Stress will always be with you and going down the route of fast food will not get you the results you crave post surgery. Do you think you may need extra therapy ?

People on this forum have cheated and gotten away with it. I have read 2 where the surgery stopped. It can be very risky with a large fatty liver.

Please come back and tell us how you doing

Yes I did cheat on my Pre-Op diet but mine was 2 weeks long so it somehow didn't hurt me as much.

With your 1 week long pre-Op diet, I would suggest you speak to your nurse and make sure not to cheat again. Or ask them to give you a 2 weeks pre-Op diet that many of us go through and manage with some ups and downs in the beginning.

I hope it works out for you. 😊

I have been on for about 10 days my surgery is in the 22nd of December. My husbands work Christmas party is tonight - I have been faithful and have not cheated once. However, my husband told me he wants me to eat tonight I don’t embarrass him in front of all the guys he works with. So I am going to probably pick (hope it’s an option) soft food and try to push stuff around in my plate to make it look like I have eaten something. I don’t want to cheat because it took forever for me to stop starving on the liquid diet and it is to hard to start up again. I feel you but with surgery so close just be careful and stick to the liquids I too know people who were closed back up and didn’t get the surgery because they didn’t follow the liquid diet. I have 30 days liquid.

8 minutes ago, huskymama said:

I have been on for about 10 days my surgery is in the 22nd of December. My husbands work Christmas party is tonight - I have been faithful and have not cheated once. However, my husband told me he wants me to eat tonight I don’t embarrass him in front of all the guys he works with. So I am going to probably pick (hope it’s an option) soft food and try to push stuff around in my plate to make it look like I have eaten something. I don’t want to cheat because it took forever for me to stop starving on the liquid diet and it is to hard to start up again. I feel you but with surgery so close just be careful and stick to the liquids I too know people who were closed back up and didn’t get the surgery because they didn’t follow the liquid diet. I have 30 days liquid.

Could you drop your serviette on your plate and quickly catch a big piece of food then it wouldnt look like you didnt eat. You can hide it back under the serviette when they collect the plate

Men always think they notice things but have you ever seen a guy looking for anything in a place you told them to look ,,,, joke

I did 21 days and found it hard going. I am sure its to break your old food habits. I never want to repeat it. You are giving yourself the best ever present. A little slight of hand will help. Goodluck

I wouldnt worry to much seeing how you were only required 1 week of pre op i am guessing you are at the lower end bmi, i had hungry jacks 2 nights before surgery and didnt stick to my pre op 100% but i should have seen that as a red flag that i wasnt ready 😞

Some people only have to do two days of liquids so I’m guessing they will still do your surgery but I would be asking myself some questions. Are you really truly ready for the surgery. I passed my psyc evaluation when I shouldn’t have and I have been racing the clock in therapy trying to get a handle on my emotional and boredom eating before it’s too late. I didn’t realize I ate when board or emotionally until post surgery and the psyc didn’t ask enough questions in my opinion to discover it. Anyways, I am not saying you shouldn’t do the surgery but you possibly could benefit from talking to a bariatric therapist. Your hunger hormones should be gone post surgery but head hunger will still be an issue if you suffer from disordered eating which only you can know. I am doing it (therapy and weight loss phase) simultaneously and I have almost lost all my weight but I was a smaller BMI to start so I can afford to lose it slower than some people. (Meaning the weight should still all be off before the honeymoon phase is over for me even with the slower loss). I know once I made up my mind to do the surgery i did not want to push it back for anything. I wanted it sooner. I am just sharing my experience cause I think this has also been a harder road for me than if I completed the therapy before surgery.

4 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

Some people only have to do two days of liquids so I’m guessing they will still do your surgery but I would be asking myself some questions. Are you really truly ready for the surgery. I passed my psyc evaluation when I shouldn’t have and I have been racing the clock in therapy trying to get a handle on my emotional and boredom eating before it’s too late. I didn’t realize I ate when board or emotionally until post surgery and the psyc didn’t ask enough questions in my opinion to discover it. Anyways, I am not saying you shouldn’t do the surgery but you possibly could benefit from talking to a bariatric therapist. Your hunger hormones should be gone post surgery but head hunger will still be an issue if you suffer from disordered eating which only you can know. I am doing it (therapy and weight loss phase) simultaneously and I have almost lost all my weight but I was a smaller BMI to start so I can afford to lose it slower than some people. (Meaning the weight should still all be off before the honeymoon phase is over for me even with the slower loss). I know once I made up my mind to do the surgery i did not want to push it back for anything. I wanted it sooner. I am just sharing my experience cause I think this has also been a harder road for me than if I completed the therapy before surgery.

You sound alot like me. I gave the same advice. If you cant stick to the short pre op are you really ready. I am guessing the surgery date for the OP has been and gone. I wonder how they are going ? OP are you out there? Update?

On 12/03/2021 at 17:06, MsTina1984 said:

Hello to all. I am new here… Any advice / suggestions would be great! My surgery is in 3 days and I cheated TWICE on my 7 day liquid diet 😐 I started my diet on Nov 30th. I cheated with a fast food meal on Dec 1st, got back on track - but then cheated again today with another fast food meal. I told the nurse about the first meal and she said it was okay I had a slip up. But I didn’t get to tell her about the second meal as the office is closed now. I know I can do this - I’ve just been under extra stress lately. My question is - If I strictly stick to it for the next 3 days, should I be okay? Has anyone else gone through this?

How did your surgery went?