Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stinging pain in my left side after surgery - eating too much?

I had surgery this Monday 11/29. The gas pain has slowly dissolved, but this stinging pain in my said sometimes get unbearable. Mostly it's not there but sometimes it just hits me. Is this normal or is this a consequence of me eating too much? I'm so scared of eating too much and stretching my tummy, but this pain doesn't seem to always come in the same timespan as when I eat. I drank 300 ml Soup today, it took about 15 minutes. It didn't hurt, I didn't feel naseous or anything. But now, 1,5 hour later this pain comes. It comes a few times a day, randomly. How do you guys know when you've eaten too much? Is there any clear indicater for that?

Sent from my KB2003 using BariatricPal mobile app

I get foam...... Its destroying. I have learned a new sign when to stop this week though - my nose runs

2 hours ago, JoyLilith said:

The gas pain has slowly dissolved, but this stinging pain in my said sometimes get unbearable. Mostly it's not there but sometimes it just hits me. Is this normal or is this a consequence of me eating too much?

The sharp pain probably a result of one of the incisions, definitely not due to overeating. If you do overeat, you will get a pain in your chest in the area of the sternum, and may get "foamies" or hiccups. You can up-chuck (regurgitate) to relieve the sensation. It will not damage your pouch to do so. It's unpleasant so you will soon learn to identify when you don't have room for a single bite more.

I suspect that this is incision pain, related to the fact that your abdominal muscles were cut and need time to heal. I had this pain for about 6 weeks almost. It might not be where the actual external incision is. It was very uncomfortable!

I didn't start having pain from eating too much/too fast until I was eating solid foods; I could drink a ton of liquids/broths/etc, but when I started with solid foods I would feel the chest fullness (that got better!) and now I get hiccups when I eat too much/too fast.

I also had my surgery 11/29 and I get left side pains as well. They are not usually from the external incisions but the ones inside. I think the pain comes during certain movements or body positioning. It doesn’t have anything to do with food as you should not be eating at this stage - only drinking. I hope you feel better soon.