Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 3...figuring it out

Hi everyone new here. Not sure the etiquette here or what. I'll just start and if I need to post to certain areas, kindly point the way. I had my sleeve done 11/29/21. So far so good. You go through so many emotions I wasn't expecting. Kind of makes you take a step back and think a min.

I've been really working on pace. I've always been a fast eater. Yesterday was feeling good and picked up my bottle to swig some Water. For a second I forgot, but I caught myself and slowed my roll. The mouthful I had was 3 swallow very carefully:)

No one around you gets this. And it's do hard to explain. It's a journey I am seeing and I'm only at day 3....I'm excited and happy for the first time in a long time. This is for me and no one else.

Later,

Nannette

Sent from my SM-F711U using BariatricPal mobile app

Congrats on your surgery!

I'm 2.5 months out and I will say that I can swallow a fair amount of Water in one gulp now. I can't chug a whole bottle like I used to, but it doesn't interfere with my life.

PACE: that's the hardest thing for me. I can't seem to get the hang of it, and most meals I'm in pain afterwards. When I'm at my parents' house my mom will remind me when she sees me eating too fast, but I eat most of my meals alone, and it's hard to remember!

I'm 2.5 months out and I will say that I can swallow a fair amount of Water in one gulp now. I can't chug a whole bottle like I used to, but it doesn't interfere with my life.
PACE: that's the hardest thing for me. I can't seem to get the hang of it, and most meals I'm in pain afterwards. When I'm at my parents' house my mom will remind me when she sees me eating too fast, but I eat most of my meals alone, and it's hard to remember!

I live with my mom, she is 80 and I moved in after my step dad passed. She did all the cooking and is a country mom, gravy this and fried that. I cut down on sodium last year and she did too for a bit. Its been challenging talking to her about why I eat what I eat now, and the amount. She thi KS I'm starting myself.. I showed her a picture of a funnel and explained it to her.. she does understand more now.. She has been very supportive.

Nannette

On 12/3/2021 at 2:00 PM, lizonaplane said:

I have issues with this too. My husband has to remind me to slow down. He makes a joke and says no one is going to take your food. Lol. It’s really hard to slow down though. Thankfully for me it doesn’t cause pain to eat fast. I just want to slow down so I feel more satisfied with my little bit of food. Perhaps if your alone you could set a timer to go off ever so often as a reminder to slow down.

When I eat with others, I try to distract myself from the food by listening and talking with others. When I’m alone I distract myself by looking at my phone. I purposefully put my fork down between bites and distract myself to make the meal last. Yeah, I joke that I’m learning anorexia habits, but it’s true. I also purposefully distract myself by pushing food around on my plate to look like artwork when out at a restaurant. All weird but it slows me down.

I have issues with this too. My husband has to remind me to slow down. He makes a joke and says no one is going to take your food. Lol. It’s really hard to slow down though. Thankfully for me it doesn’t cause pain to eat fast. I just want to slow down so I feel more satisfied with my little bit of food. Perhaps if your alone you could set a timer to go off ever so often as a reminder to slow down.
Super hard for me too and that's most of my pain. I know it. But slowing way down helps. Sometimes I'm my worst enemy [emoji854].

Nannette