Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Listen to your sleeve…

So I’ve read a couple of posts where someone stated that when eating they listen to their sleeve. I’d love to listen to my sleeve. Can someone explain what I should be hearing? I’m feeling terrible after eating so I’m clearly not listening…

I'm not sure what that person meant by "listening to your sleeve" but this is how I would interpret it. The restriction in your tummy will tell you when to stop eating. The feeling of being "full" can be very different post-op, so you have to learn the signals that indicate you are approaching being full. One time, shortly after surgery, I overate because I didn't recognize that I was full. It was a miserable experience, I was in severe distress until finally I threw up. After that, I learned how to identify when I've had enough to eat (and honestly, I rarely eat enough now to test my restriction).

Also, your sleeve can educate you in terms of WHAT you are eating. My new tummy does not do well with red meat. Regardless of how prepared, red meat is uncomfortable for my body to digest. I could keep trying to force it but I've chosen to "listen to my sleeve" and just leave red meat out of my diet.

Your body will give you signals about what it does and doesn't like and they are worth paying attention to.

Edited by Jaelzion

I agree with what Jaelzion said.

The cues for being full vary greatly and are highly individualistic. For me, it is a fullness that tells me “one more bite’s going to be really uncomfortable”.

Over time you’ll get to recognise your signals & what you can & can’t eat easily. Some say they sneeze or get a runny nose when they’ve eaten enough. I don’t. If I eat too quickly or eat when stressed my restriction kicks in. If I eat food that’s too dry I’ll get the foamies or if really dry or coarse I’ll bring it up (not vomit but regurgitate). Dairy makes me gurgle more.

I’ve discovered my ‘I’m full’ message sometimes seems to take a lot longer to come through. This morning I ate my milky rolled oats over about 35 mins then some 30 mins later I started to feel full, then fuller & fuller. Groan! Felt like I’d bring it up but didn’t (I was driving so probably a good thing). To counter my sometimes slow full message I eat slowly: 30-60 minutes depending upon what I’m eating - it works most times. I ask myself do I need this next bite or do I just want it - this was a big thing for me. I also try not to eat until I’m full but until I’ve had enough - another big learning.

Never be afraid to put your cutlery down & sit back from the table. Use the pause to examine how you’re feeling & what you really need versus just want.

Good luck.

I keep making dumb mistakes and suffer for them. I had egg salad in a little ramekin and cleaned my plate as pre surgery - foamies ! we are not friends

I have to learn to eat more slowly. As much as I tell myself I'm doing better, I'm really NOT THERE YET. I have thrown up a few more times recently, but not after I'd eaten more than a few bites.

I haven't figured out that I'm full until I start hiccuping, and someone told me that's when I've eaten TOO much...

13 hours ago, summerseeker said:

I keep making dumb mistakes and suffer for them. I had egg salad in a little ramekin and cleaned my plate as pre surgery - foamies ! we are not friends

what are the foamies exactly, I have heard several different explanations

13 hours ago, SleeverSk said:

what are the foamies exactly, I have heard several different explanations

You will know it as soon as you get it. It is over eating and in my case drinking too quickly. It causes like regurgitation of compact white foam - like bubbles. It fills your mouth and you have to spit. It doesn't stop till you throw up.