Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do non-cooks eat in the 4th month?

Happy to see this thread! Since having surgery in June, my 2nd child moved out leaving just my "baby" (he's 16) home with my husband and myself. Like any 16 year old, he is often gone leaving just my husband and me home for dinner. I'm quickly finding that my desire to cook complicated meals is fading fast, which, has been really surprising! I really find that I have less interest in food, mostly because I know I'm going to eat less than a half cup of it and it's just not that big of a deal what I eat now...it's just food/fuel. This feeling has been both empowering and challenging to get used to.

On nights where I'm not cooking and there are no leftovers I tend to opt for: Oscar Mayer snack plates (meat, cheese and a few triscuits), pre-cooked chicken skewers I found at costco with a veg, pre-cooked chicken or salmon patty tossed with some canned green Beans, frozen meals (typically Healthy Choice or Real Good which lasts for two meals), greek salad with tuna (cucumber, onion, tomatoes, red bell pepper topped with some light dressing and fat free feta cheese), pre-cooked chicken breast bites (from costco) and a quarter of an apple or just a couple slices of good deli meat with some cheese and grapes. These are options I use for meals most days of the week. Between these and my eggs for Breakfast I have no issues eating 80-90g of Protein a day (which is on the high side for my program) without having to resort to a shake. Unfortunately, I am not one of the folks that can do a shake daily. I find I can do non-dairy shakes occasionally, but, more than that and my stomach starts to stage a revolt!

Be persistent, try different things and hold on to the things that will work for YOU!

I’ve bought from Factor 75. They are pre made meals you microwave for 2 minutes. They are sent directly to your home. And they’re actually very tasty. There was another company I bought from (I can’t remember the name off the top of my head) and their meals were horrid. I don’t cook either so I totally understand where you’re coming from. I haven’t had surgery yet so I was wondering the same thing and didn’t even think of factor 75 until I saw someone else comment on buying those type of meals and I remembered I had used them before. Good luck in your journey.

Thank you lalforo and NewMe2021. New me, you described my feelings perfectly. There are just two of us now. Thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I’m 9 weeks post op and I think I need to stop trying to incorporate different foods and stick to the more simple suggestions that are here. At Whole Foods, I’ve found a brand called Tribal Foods and the have lots of flavorful protein/meat options, like Thai chicken Patties, Asian meatballs and Chipotle chicken Patties. Just that and a little veg should be enough.

On 12/11/2021 at 12:10 PM, HashiHope121 said:

Every week I buy a rotisserie chicken and use that in a variety of places. I also always have a frozen bag of cooked shrimp (TJs Argentinian Shrimp) & frozen chicken skewers (Costco) in the freezer, which just need to be defrosted and warmed. Some of my regular "no cook" meals are: chicken & green Beans, chicken & roast squash (pre cut), Shrimp & green Beans, chicken veg Soup (TJs). They probably sound boring, but I enjoy them and they all end up low carb & under 200 calories for plenty of food. A no cook splurge = Amys burritos (so good! but adds up fast). (For Breakfast I always have coffee w/ unflavored Unjury Protein powder.)

If you are willing to cook a little, I also sometimes make Banza Pasta & shrimp or cauliflower latkes (TJs). And at the end of the week, I turn the left over veggies & chicken into Soup and freeze that.

I will also note that I keep canned veggies on hand. I know they are not as nutritious as fresh, but they also aren't bad (if low sodium, as I understand) and they are still low calorie. In a pinch they are better than Pasta or crackers or a lot of other options. I often don't cook fresh fast enough and I hate seeing them go bad.

Hope that helps. I appreciate seeing everyones suggestions, they help me a ton.

Thank you, these are great ideas. What spices do you like to use with frozen shrimp when you cook it?

On 12/13/2021 at 3:31 PM, ShoppGirl said:

lol. I did a lot of searching food and recipes too. I think it’s cause our bodies are starving. I am jealous that you have Aldi’s nearby. My friend has one that lives about two and a half hours away and I think we are going to have to make a day of it someday. I will just bring a big cooler and meet her there. I imagine it will take me quite a while to shop the store the first time the way we have to reading every label but I am looking forward to picking up some of the products I have seen mentioned on here.

Just got back from our Aldi's. As kind of expected, they did not have the ,No Carb bread, the shrimp fajitas, the Alpen Cereal, or the probiotic Cookies. I guess it's hit or miss in a less metro area. I picked up a few things and will try again when we go that way. Hope you can find everything if driving that far.

1 minute ago, Amy Braun said:

Just got back from our Aldi's. As kind of expected, they did not have the ,No Carb bread, the shrimp fajitas, the Alpen Cereal, or the probiotic Cookies. I guess it's hit or miss in a less metro area. I picked up a few things and will try again when we go that way. Hope you can find everything if driving that far.

Man that stinks. Well I guess I made you feel a little better cause at least you can go back somewhat easily. Did you see the post someone tried to start about favorite ALDI products. I am hoping that it takes off so I can just reference that thread when making a list the first time I go. Are there any must haves that you recommend?

5 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

Man that stinks. Well I guess I made you feel a little better cause at least you can go back somewhat easily. Did you see the post someone tried to start about favorite ALDI products. I am hoping that it takes off so I can just reference that thread when making a list the first time I go. Are there any must haves that you recommend?

I find this site so cumbersome, the way you can't just reply to a comment, but that's annoying aside. There is a lot to check out at Aldi's. I found some good 100 calorie packs, like the pretzels. Of course, these have to be a once a week treat because I'm still losing and just starting my 5th month. I found some cauliflower crackers, but didn't find much substantial food. I'm going back in a few weeks to look for those shrimp fajita packs. I did see chicken. I wish you the best of luck when you plan your Aldi trip.

On 12/2/2021 at 8:00 AM, Amy Braun said:

No costco anywhere near us, but those sound good!

Do you have an Aldi's near you? Every so often I buy their Panino Deli Tray, which is basically a few different types of sliced meat wrapped around cheese, I eat about 5 for a meal I think, which is about 4 oz. https://www.aldi.us/en/products/deli/prepared-meals-sides/detail/ps/p/specially-selected-panino-tray-5/

If there's a BJ's near you, try the Caulipower pizza (veggie pizza on cauliflower crust, it's delicious).

14 hours ago, Tufflaw said:

Do you have an Aldi's near you? Every so often I buy their Panino Deli Tray, which is basically a few different types of sliced meat wrapped around cheese, I eat about 5 for a meal I think, which is about 4 oz. https://www.aldi.us/en/products/deli/prepared-meals-sides/detail/ps/p/specially-selected-panino-tray-5/

If there's a BJ's near you, try the Caulipower pizza (veggie pizza on cauliflower crust, it's delicious).

ALDI's is about 40 minutes away. We went there yesterday, but finding items others have found there proved impossible. But we will try again, maybe once a month. Never heard of a BJ's. Thank you so much, though.

10 hours ago, Amy Braun said:

ALDI's is about 40 minutes away. We went there yesterday, but finding items others have found there proved impossible. But we will try again, maybe once a month. Never heard of a BJ's. Thank you so much, though.

BJ's is a wholesale club like a costco or Sam's Club. They also sell that Caulipower veggie pizza at other stores like Target.

On 1/5/2022 at 11:50 AM, Amy Braun said:

I have never been but was looking at Aldi’s website and they also have cauliflower pizza.

7 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

I have never been but was looking at Aldi’s website and they also have cauliflower pizza.

Aldi's is great but you have to be careful, especially if you're driving far to get to one - the website shows their products but it doesn't show what's in stock or available at a particular store. You can't call a store directly either, the only way to see if they have a product in stock is to actually go to the store and look.

I'm not much on cooking either. We eat out lunch every day for something social to do and I've been getting a salad with grilled chicken on it (protein) and I still drink a GNC Lean shake 25 g Protein Shake every morning for breakfast. Additionally, I make a snack of tuna with light mayo and onion (protein). eggs are easy for non-cooks and are a good source of Protein.