Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today is day 1 for my liquid diet: Protein Shakes and clear fluids only (Plus sugar free popsicles, 0 calorie flavored waters, clear broths, sugar free jello)

I have ~80-100 lbs to lose. Yesterday I cleaned out my fridge and freezer, and stocked it with just the shakes/foods/drinks I can have. It's nice to have a clean fridge, and 0 wrong choices available.

Mentally, it will be much tougher. I've written down 3 motivator/values in my planner so daily I will be able to refocus and remind myself why I'm doing this and what the outcome can be.

Carbs are a precursor to the production of serotonin in the brain, and I know for myself that low carb diets will make me depressed. I'm worried about that.

@huskymama had reported that she's already lost 10# in a week on this diet, and of course, that it's really difficult. But 10# is a lot, and that gives me hope. So thanks, huskymama!

PS-does anyone know what percentage the liver shrinks on the preop diet?

Everyone is different with regards to de-liver-ization 😁

The no-carbs thing varies program by program. I am not on a low-carb diet and still am shrinking. But some programs do require it. Frankly, though, it's hard to meet my carb macro target because I do eat all my Protein first, then the vegetables (which are carbs, of course, but are lower than starches). And then I frankly don't have room for starches.

super proud of you and excited for this part of your journey!

losing carbs was my biggest concern pre-op, and i found myself so focused on it that it made the pre-op and immediate post-op process a lot more difficult. but since then i've learned some important lessons:

- that there are LOTS of carb free things or carb alternatives that are actually incredible (cauli and broc rice - is so good)

- tastes can change after surgery and some things that used to rule my life don't even phase me anymore

- carbs ain't all bad! you still get to enjoy them without guilt whenever you want to/can!

I’ve been eating small amounts of carbs, like oatmeal, mashed potato, sweet potato, fruit, etc. But I don’t eat them every day.

11 hours ago, OutdoorsGirl said:

I’ve been eating small amounts of carbs, like oatmeal, mashed potato, sweet potato, fruit, etc. But I don’t eat them every day.

I’m going to get some 1% cottage cheese so I can take my vitamins/supplements/meds. I get nauseous taking them with fluids only. I figure a couple tablespoons a day of cottage cheese will have to be ok.

if I get super depressed, I will definitely add in some small carb bits. Fingers crossed.

13 minutes ago, LadyH said:

I’m going to get some 1% cottage cheese so I can take my vitamins/supplements/meds. I get nauseous taking them with fluids only. I figure a couple tablespoons a day of cottage cheese will have to be ok.

if I get super depressed, I will definitely add in some small carb bits. Fingers crossed.

I eat the 0 fat cottage cheese and yogurt too. I put chili lime seasoning on it and sometimes mix in a fruit cup. It tastes pretty good.

12/01/2021 04:26 PM, LadyH said:

Today is day 1 for my liquid diet: Protein Shakes and clear fluids only (Plus sugar free popsicles, 0 calorie flavored waters, clear broths, sugar free jello)

I have ~80-100 lbs to lose. Yesterday I cleaned out my fridge and freezer, and stocked it with just the shakes/foods/drinks I can have. It's nice to have a clean fridge, and 0 wrong choices available.

Mentally, it will be much tougher. I've written down 3 motivator/values in my planner so daily I will be able to refocus and remind myself why I'm doing this and what the outcome can be.

Carbs are a precursor to the production of serotonin in the brain, and I know for myself that low carb diets will make me depressed. I'm worried about that.

@huskymama had reported that she's already lost 10# in a week on this diet, and of course, that it's really difficult. But 10# is a lot, and that gives me hope. So thanks, huskymama!

PS-does anyone know what percentage the liver shrinks on the preop diet?

As of today I am down 14 pounds in just a day or two over one week on liquids. I met with my dietitian yesterday and she said I am loosing to much to fast. Because I am lactose intolerant I can’t do dairy and I’m diabetic so I can’t do fruit juice. So when we went through my food journal we figured out I was eating/drinking between 500-700 calories a day. So she tweaked it and added more Protein Shakes - I felt so much better yesterday no hunger. I’m down to a 12-14 shirt and 14-16 pants (tight 14 loose 16 in a little over a week but don’t take that as what should happen she made it really clear to me that I need at least 1000 calories a day and Protein is extremely important for my body to be healthy for surgery and recovery. She said it isn’t just about liver shrinking but also optimal health for the surgery. She is a sleeve patient herself and she said it will be 6 months recovery but she is there with me every step of the way! I wasn’t taking in enough calories and while I lost weight I wasn’t doing it the healthy way. Hope that helps! . Good luck glad you started this thread it will be helpful to many I feel!! Also no one told me to start the Vitamins with the liquid diet so just found that out yesterday