Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve to Bypass 7 months post-op...still can't eat chicken/beef

Has anyone else experienced this? The majority of my Protein is still Protein Shakes - seven months later and I still cannot eat poultry, beef, most shellfish or pork without needing to go throw up. The only real solid animal-based protein I can 'stomach' is steamed clams and some cured meat.

Thanksgiving sucked because I made this amazing turkey and I took one bite and 10 minutes later had to excuse myself to go throw up!

Sounds like you might have a stricture. This is something your surgeon needs to address. The top portion of your stomach may have developed scar tissue which is preventing these tougher Proteins from passing into your pouch. Hopefully you have a weight loss clinic or a doctor monitoring you that can order an EGD to see if there's an issue.

Good luck!

It took almost a year before I could comfortably eat meat and some other foods like spaghetti noodles, chinese food, etc. It's normal. You may need to add unflavored Protein Powder to your food if you are not meeting your Protein goals. Do discuss with your dietitian.

1 hour ago, Tina Leo said:

Sounds like you might have a stricture. This is something your surgeon needs to address. The top portion of your stomach may have developed scar tissue which is preventing these tougher Proteins from passing into your pouch. Hopefully you have a weight loss clinic or a doctor monitoring you that can order an EGD to see if there's an issue.

Good luck!

strictures, when they happen, are almost always during the first three months post-surgery - although I agree I'd probably let my clinic know what's going on just in case (they CAN happen later, but it's pretty rare - and you really can't keep anything down at all - not just meats (I had two of them - I couldn't even keep fluids down after about a week))

Edited by catwoman7