Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Diet Encouragement, please. : )

I'm on day 4.5 of the liquid pre-op diet (I am fortunate that I only had to do a week) and I am so hungry and low on energy (to make matters worse, I received my COVID booster the night of my first day of this diet). I am eating cottage cheese, drinking warm broth with Unjury chicken Soup flavored Protein Powder, having Protein Drinks made with Fairlife milk, and I am nervous. Will I feel this rundown on so little calories post surgery? Currently I couldn't survive like this long term. How and why will it improve after surgery? How will my body feel OK on so few calories? Surgery is on Tuesday the 30th and I have to teach my 6th graders the day before! My thinking right now is if I am going to feel like this forever, I DON'T want to do this. My stomach hurts from hunger, I'm low on energy, I'm sad. Any words of encouragement would be appreciated.

Edited by LouLouM

The pre-op diet is brutal. Everything you're feeling is completely justified. I had to take a nap almost every single day. That being said, it DOES get better and no, you won't feel this way forever after surgery. My program had liquids for 2 weeks post-op, which wasn't great, but as soon as I got to purees I really turned a corner energy-wise. Eventually, your calorie intake will increase and you'll feel much more "normal" it just takes time. Give yourself permission to test when you need to and know that this is just a step along the way.

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using BariatricPal mobile app

I’m on day 3 (of 10) of mine and I’m totally with you! I went for a walk with my friend and was in pain and exhausted after. I have a low level headache almost nonstop. I’m a little worried about functioning at work next week. And all I can think about is food- real food, not Jello and Protein shakes!

pre-op diet is the worst part. I was actually relieved the morning I reported to the hospital for surgery!

for most of us, anyway, our hunger is suppressed for a few months, so no, we don't feel the same way after surgery. Tired, yes - but I'm exhausted after any surgery (maybe moreso with this one since we're taking in so few calories the first few weeks). But fortunately, most of us at least don't feel hungry. For about the first five months, I was never hungry and didn't give a flip about food.

23 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

pre-op diet is the worst part. I was actually relieved the morning I reported to the hospital for surgery!

for most of us, anyway, our hunger is suppressed for a few months, so no, we don't feel the same way after surgery. Tired, yes - but I'm exhausted after any surgery (maybe moreso with this one since we're taking in so few calories the first few weeks). But fortunately, most of us at least don't feel hungry. For about the first five months, I was never hungry and didn't give a flip about food.

Thanks, Catwoman. I think that is one of my fears: forever feeling hungry and never being able to eat enough to not feel hungry. Why does this happen to some patients? They are the minority, correct?

How do you feel now? Can you satisfy your hunger?

2 minutes ago, BirdLady21 said:

YOU CAN DO IT!!!! I am 4 days post op and I only had to be on a liquor diet the day of and before. Just remember the rewards are so much greater in the end. YOU GOT THIS!!!!

Hmmmm, "liquor" diet. That sounds fun! 😆

Thanks for the encouragement. I am getting so nervous and worried.

P.S. I like how I got replies from Catwoman and BirdLady. ❤

As others have said - pre-op diet is the hard-yards. You're on a crash-diet, and your body is going through withdrawals which is why it feels SO awful. The sudden cutting of sugar, carbs and calories is a real whammy for your system, so headaches and malaise and hunger pain is normal.

Post-surgery it will be different! You'll have come out the other end of withdrawals, and hunger should be paused for a good few months. And remember there's LOTS of long-termers on here thriving on reduced calories. Totally doable!

Edited by Smanky

13 hours ago, LouLouM said:

Thanks, Catwoman. I think that is one of my fears: forever feeling hungry and never being able to eat enough to not feel hungry. Why does this happen to some patients? They are the minority, correct?

How do you feel now? Can you satisfy your hunger?

yes - a minority never loses their hunger. And another minority loses theirs permanently (I wish I was one of those!!!), but for most of us, we do lose it temporarily. It usually comes back sometime during the first year.

and yes - I can satisfy my hunger. My biggest problem pre-op, and now - isn't really eating when I'm hungry - it's eating when I'm NOT hungry - (which for me is when I'm bored. For some people, it's eating when they're stressed). So it's mental rather than physical. It's a constant battle. But I'll do whatever I can to keep all that weight from coming back!!!

Reading all the cases of fatigue and exhaustion worry me. Having to quarantine 2 weeks before, 2 weeks after, getting only Protein Shakes and Clear Liquids only for the 2 weeks of pre-surg. diet, not being able to go workout at the gym, or swim, or be outside because the weather is terrible. No holidays with family--second year in a row--and having been waiting for 6 months since being cleared for surgery has already depressed me.

I don't think I can take months of feeling horrible and exhausted afterward. I feel like I've already lost a year of my life because of all the unnecessary and even bogus bs. The program I'm in throws in everything but the kitchen sink, charges from the patient obscenely for it, and leaves the patient twisting in the wind unendingly. ugh.

9 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

yes - a minority never loses their hunger. And another minority loses theirs permanently (I wish I was one of those!!!), but for most of us, we do lose it temporarily. It usually comes back sometime during the first year.

and yes - I can satisfy my hunger. My biggest problem pre-op, and now - isn't really eating when I'm hungry - it's eating when I'm NOT hungry - (which for me is when I'm bored. For some people, it's eating when they're stressed). So it's mental rather than physical. It's a constant battle. But I'll do whatever I can to keep all that weight from coming back!!!

It's encouraging to see a person on this site who has actually lost the weight!! Thanks for posting.

I was on the milk diet 3 pints of semi skimmed milk and no added sugar 2/50 gram post of yoghurt juice and tea and coffee for 2 weeks but I was ok on it didn't feel hungry and still don't 12 week out of surgery and 45ls down

Hi LadyH, and fellow teacher. You won’t feel this uncomfortable afterwards. I did teach 5th grade two weeks after surgery. I forgot to eat. I quickly figured out to sip Protein Shakes that first week back while I was teaching to keep my energy up. I took short walks up and down my street. Tomorrow will be the worst part. Try drinking some form of Protein all day at work. My thoughts will be with you to keep calm and carry on.-Meg

Sorry, I saw you posted on Sunday and you’ve already lived through the worst of it. It only gets better from here. Like Catwoman I was immensely relieved to be done with the pre-op diet!