Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Loss Stall

Hi everyone! I had Gastric sleeve in Mexico on October 28th and weighed 283. Today I weight 268. My weight has been 268 for 2 and a half weeks, I managed to get down to 266 Saturday but then went back up!. I’m not eating over 7-800 calories, take in a good amount of Water, my Protein could be better but I definitely hit at least 40 grams which is what was put to at least hit (40-60 per nutritionist). I move around and walk for at least 15-20 min. What is going on? Is something wrong with me? Did I pay 4500 for nothing? I’m very depressed and thinking I’ll never lose weight. I eat a variety of food I don’t limit anything but it’s all home food not eating pizza and stuff. I eat grilled chicken tenders, sweet potatoes whole wheat toast boiled eggs veggies yogurt all healthy and no more than 4-5 bites per meal. I’m very very depressed that even a surgery can’t help me lose weight.

it's the infamous three-week stall (this early stall happens to probably 90% of us. It's usually the third week after surgery (hence the name), but not always. It can happen any time within the first 4-6 weeks after surgery). If you do a search on it on this site, you will find over 17,000 posts on it (and not, I am NOT kidding). Just stick to your program and stay off the scale for a few days. It usually takes 1-3 weeks to break, but it WILL break and you'll be on your way again.

2 hours ago, Izzabelbaby42 said:

Hi everyone! I had Gastric sleeve in Mexico on October 28th and weighed 283. Today I weight 268. My weight has been 268 for 2 and a half weeks, I managed to get down to 266 Saturday but then went back up!. I’m not eating over 7-800 calories, take in a good amount of Water, my Protein could be better but I definitely hit at least 40 grams which is what was put to at least hit (40-60 per nutritionist). I move around and walk for at least 15-20 min. What is going on? Is something wrong with me? Did I pay 4500 for nothing? I’m very depressed and thinking I’ll never lose weight. I eat a variety of food I don’t limit anything but it’s all home food not eating pizza and stuff. I eat grilled chicken tenders, sweet potatoes whole wheat toast boiled eggs veggies yogurt all healthy and no more than 4-5 bites per meal. I’m very very depressed that even a surgery can’t help me lose weight.

I would bump up on the Protein (60-70) and get more exercise. 15 minutes is not enough in my opinion and what I was told by the Doctor. What I try to do is to get up and move every hour and get in atleast 1000 to 1200 steps 4 times a day followed by a walk after dinner. If you don't want to walk after dinner, then do some resistance bands or weights which helps as well. You can pick up a good set of resistance bands with all the accessories for 50 bucks or so.

52 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

it's the infamous three-week stall (this early stall happens to probably 90% of us. It's usually the third week after surgery (hence the name), but not always. It can happen any time within the first 4-6 weeks after surgery). If you do a search on it on this site, you will find over 17,000 posts on it (and not, I am NOT kidding). Just stick to your program and stay off the scale for a few days. It usually takes 1-3 weeks to break, but it WILL break and you'll be on your way again.

It’s just most people say it finally moves after a week or two and mine is stuck so I’m worried.

I had my sleeve surgery on 8/26. I was 235lbs, now 180. My goal is 145 to 150. I've been bouncing around 180 for the past week or so. I have found that I will drop a pound a day for a week, then stall for a week or two, then drop a pound a day again for a week or so. It's super frustrating during the stalls, but my nut said it's totally normal. What I have found is that if I focus on bumping up my Protein, the stall seems to break, regardless of calories. The Protein Shakes I drink are high in calories, so even if I'm eating 900 to 1,000 calories, but hitting around 80-90 grams of protein, my weight starts to drop again. Just my observation in my own body, we're all different. Try not to stress yourself out, it will come off.

Sent from my SM-N976V using BariatricPal mobile app

Stalls happen. Our bodies need a chance to catch up with rapid changes. This is likely not going to be the only one you have.

As long as you are only eating 700-800 calories a day as you posted, you definitely didn't waste your money. You will lose weight due to calorie deficit. Before surgery, I remember having a difficult time keeping under 1800 calories. I was a bad case of no control when it came to food before surgery.

As others said, stalls are normal and your body is just adjusting. Changing up your diet is always good to try to, like upping Protein as you said. It may be excess Water weight.

I've stalled three times in the two months since my surgery. It happens and is just part of the journey. The weight is coming off - stay off the scale for a week and as others have suggested, up your calories and switch up your exercise. It will break.

On average stalls last 1-3 weeks, but I've had three stalls in the 40-odd day range. My longest stall I just recently got out of and it was 46 days and then I lost a pound and four days after that lost another. So while not common, they can last longer than 3 weeks. I doubt it will happen to you this early out and I'd venture to guess at most your stall may last one week longer before your weight loss kicks back up again. Sometimes our body just has to take time to adjust itself and sometimes it can take longer than we'd like. I know it's hard not to feel discouraged or question ourselves about what we're doing wrong, but as long as you follow your plan I'm sure the weight loss will kick back up again.

On 11/24/2021 at 3:59 AM, Izzabelbaby42 said:

I know how you feel I have been stalled for about 2 and a half weeks, I'm doing everything I'm supposed to. I hope you got out of your stall. I had my surgery October 25th and I've lost 30, I'm at 249.4 now. I hate feeling stuck.

I did but my weight loss is still very very slow. And my weight is constantly going up and down it’s never consistently just f**king going down. I was 260 on Saturday. Yesterday I was magically 262! Today I’m 261. I’m almost 7 weeks out. And so far lost only 22 pounds. I was stuck for like 3 of those weeks bouncing around from 266-268. I hate this so much. I know it’s not a magical fix I didn’t expect that. But damn it says I should be losing 3-4 pounds a week and that is not the case. If I could go back I’d never have this surgery. I would have just stayed fat.