Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I had the sleeve surgery October of 2014, day of surgery I was 343.6 pounds. I'm 6'1. At the bottom weight I was 166 (way to small). I'm gaining weight to the point that where I'm back up at the 250 area. I dont want to be a failure, I dont want to be the unsuccessful stories you hear about, but I just can find the proper mindset to get back on track. I'm only 30-40 pounds over the goal weight which I know is achievable with a little work. But I just get get back there mentally. If there is anyone out there that can relate, that has any ideas that could help me that would be grand. I'm so scared right now it's the WORSE time of year, days from Thanksgiving and Christmas.

My mind set is all over the place, im disappointed that I've allowed myself back here, im scared what the holidays will bring....... I just dont know how to do it.

If you read this and have a helpful opinion please leave it. You don't have to suger coat it, I cant take it blunt.

@Octalmist37 - I can COMPLETELY relate to the mind set part. I'm only a year out, but regain is a HUGE fear as I've progressed through this adventure. My thoughts - be brutally honest with yourself and do whatever motivates YOU to get back on track. For me, it's shame - I HAVE to weigh myself daily. Otherwise I tend to play mind games on myself (my clothes still fit, so I must be fine, right?) - Yeah, **** stretches!

Another thing I tried (that really did NOT work) was to "allow" myself 5 lbs gain - Nope, too easy to let those 5 become 10.

So, my advice for you is really to just suck it up, realized you screwed up, and get back to basics - One day at a time. If you screw up one day, just start over the next. Don't let it turn into a bender.

I encourage you to read this book. Its advice may be your salvation. A Pound of Cure by Matthew Weiner, MD.

1842045618_APoundOfCure.jpg.4003dbb786c4b71a116de9904ece3950.jpg

A cookbook by the same bariatric surgeon is Bariatric Diet Guide and Cookbook.

760928021_BariatricDietGuideCookbook.jpg.436fff2f4a2e34a5db154ad7dc3ec546.jpg

Finally, this next book may help you get back on track by reminding you of the steps you learned when you had your surgery. The Success Habits of Weight Loss Surgery Patients, by Colleen Cook.

1977267488_SuccessHabits.jpg.3754eaa8e4331dc4b8a5341d6509e1c6.jpg

5 hours ago, Octalmist37 said:

So I had the sleeve surgery October of 2014, day of surgery I was 343.6 pounds. I'm 6'1. At the bottom weight I was 166 (way to small). I'm gaining weight to the point that where I'm back up at the 250 area. I dont want to be a failure, I dont want to be the unsuccessful stories you hear about, but I just can find the proper mindset to get back on track. I'm only 30-40 pounds over the goal weight which I know is achievable with a little work. But I just get get back there mentally. If there is anyone out there that can relate, that has any ideas that could help me that would be grand. I'm so scared right now it's the WORSE time of year, days from Thanksgiving and Christmas.

My mind set is all over the place, im disappointed that I've allowed myself back here, im scared what the holidays will bring....... I just dont know how to do it.

If you read this and have a helpful opinion please leave it. You don't have to suger coat it, I cant take it blunt.

Hi I know I’m a newbie as for as the gastric sleeve surgery. I know journaling what I eat I was able to keep track of my eating habits. That I was able to figure out the good foods and the bad food I was eating. Also I added was why was I eating. Was it due to boredom, was I really hungry, was due to emotional needs, etc. So keeping track of that helped. Using a food journal will get you back on tract and may tell you why your eating. Try to motivate yourself in taking short walks a couple times a day. Also ask your PCP for a referral to setup an appointment with a nutritionist? Finally, I would continue getting support from this group. It’s important to get as much support and encouragement as you can especially when this time of year is most difficult. Hang in there my friend. We stand behind you every step of the way.

Have a nice meal on TG.

Do a 10-14 days full liquids only, between TG and Christmas. Protein Shakes, Soups and Water.

Have ONE nice (not big, nice) meal on Christmas. Then, get the Baritastic app (or something similar) and count calories. Eat 3 meals a day, no snacking. Stay below 1,400/day. Focus on Protein (meat, fish, shrimp, eggs) and mostly raw vegetables (cabbage, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, celery, kale, spinach, salads, etc,.) and fruits.

Drink 90-120 oz of water a day.

Come back here for chats every time you feel like you're stumbling.

You should be able to drop 30-40 lbs in less than 3 months. Good luck!

perseverance-keep-trying-you-can-do-it.g

Like @Sunnyway I have a lot of respect for Dr Matt Weiner’s advice. If you don’t want to get the books he also has great videos on You Tube:

https://m.youtube.com/user/DrMatthewWeiner/videos

I really like his recommendation to make one change at a time in your eating. Make a change then a couple of weeks later make another. Small changes are easier to manage & accept. And you get small wins to help you refocus & get back on the best path for you. Maybe start by tracking your intake again so you have a better picture of what & how much you’re eating. Then drop something from your diet. A couple of weeks later swap out something for a healthier choice. It will take time but it may help to make the changes permanent cause that’s how to be successful long term - permanent & sustainable changes to how, what & why we eat.

Were you referred to a bariatric therapist during your approval process? If so, may be reach out to them again or contact your surgeon & ask for a referral to a reputable & experienced therapist. Many, many people have had success with therapy. It will help you better understand & manage what drives you to eat & help you find the motivation to take control of your eating habits.

All the best.

On 11/22/2021 at 3:48 PM, Sunnyway said:

I encourage you to read this book. Its advice may be your salvation. A Pound of Cure by Matthew Weiner, MD.

1842045618_APoundOfCure.jpg.4003dbb786c4b71a116de9904ece3950.jpg

Thanks for the recommendation - I've bought this. 👍

On 11/23/2021 at 4:15 AM, Arabesque said:

Like @Sunnyway I have a lot of respect for Dr Matt Weiner’s advice. If you don’t want to get the books he also has great videos on You Tube:

https://m.youtube.com/user/DrMatthewWeiner/videos

And have now watched my first video - thanks to you too Arabesque!

I'm just 13 months post op and I already see old habits creeping back. I'm very active and I hit the gym 6 days a week and get plenty of rest. It's the late night munchy monster and sweet tooth that gets me into trouble. I did therapy for a couple months but insurance put the squash on that. I've read several books and used various trackers. It comes down to doing the hard work and looking yourself in the mirror every day and telling yourself you never want to go back to that prison. At least that's what my mind is telling me now.