Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hit plateau after 4 weeks post op

I’m like what the hell just happen - on the day of my surgery The weight was 330 and now 289 which is not bad - I am 6’2 and my healthy weight is about 200 putting me at 130 pounds of excess weight and I’ve lost 41 pounds post op which is about 31% from that excess weight. But for the past week now matter what I do I think I hit a plateau 😤😤😤😤😤 stuck a 289. Is frustrating at the least but I know is a long love journey. I keep my food diary and basically I am doing Keto. Better get back to the drawing board and speak to my nutrition team. Anyone else has experience this post op in the initial stages????

There are several thousand posts about something called the 'three week stall'. It happens usually within the first month post op to the majority of people who have the surgery. Your body is simply taking time to adjust itself. Most of the time there really isn't anything you can do, but to ride it out. Stalls happen. Often times, you can change the way you eat to try and start it back up or add in exercise and nothing will change. They, on average last 1-3 weeks. It'll end when it ends. Just stick to your plan and you'll be fine. I've had multiple stalls throughout my journey, including several (3) that went into the 40-odd day range. They are incredibly frustrating and disheartening, especially when you're no where near your goal weight. You don't get used to them, even if you're like me and get them a LOT. In fact, I just got out of my longest stall yet! I thought, 'this is it, I'm in maintenance' and yet after being in a stall for 46 days I lost a pound. Then 4 days later I lost another pound. So my body just wants to lose at it's own pace. You're still in the beginning of your journey and your weight loss WILL pick up again as this stall is extremely common! Just keep to your plan and it'll break eventually!

6 minutes ago, NovaLuna said:

There are several thousand posts about something called the 'three week stall'. It happens usually within the first month post op to the majority of people who have the surgery. Your body is simply taking time to adjust itself. Most of the time there really isn't anything you can do, but to ride it out. Stalls happen. Often times, you can change the way you eat to try and start it back up or add in exercise and nothing will change. They, on average last 1-3 weeks. It'll end when it ends. Just stick to your plan and you'll be fine. I've had multiple stalls throughout my journey, including several (3) that went into the 40-odd day range. They are incredibly frustrating and disheartening, especially when you're no where near your goal weight. You don't get used to them, even if you're like me and get them a LOT. In fact, I just got out of my longest stall yet! I thought, 'this is it, I'm in maintenance' and yet after being in a stall for 46 days I lost a pound. Then 4 days later I lost another pound. So my body just wants to lose at it's own pace. You're still in the beginning of your journey and your weight loss WILL pick up again as this stall is extremely common! Just keep to your plan and it'll break eventually!

@NovaLuna btw awesome pic and aka. This is why I love this forum. My wife was the the 1st to have her bypass done and she did stalled but it was like 7 months postop and yes it was disheartening and now I learned that there is a thing call the 3 week thingy 🤣🤣 I’ve learned. So grateful to be in this forum and thank you for sharing you story is brings hope and relief. Is part of my journey. God bless, happy holidays and I will keep posting my progress.

three-week stall for sure. Happens to probably 90% of us. Just stick to your program and stay off the scale for a few days. It'll eventually break (usually takes 1-3 weeks) and you'll be on your merry way again...

Totally the three-week stall. It lasted a bit over a week for me and then WHOOOOOOOOSH the weight came flying off. I'm averaging a bit over 4 lbs. a week now (hooray for the honeymoon period!) and 59 lbs. from goal. I know it'll slow down as I get closer to equilibrium, but for right now I love it.

No te rajes!!

18 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

three-week stall for sure. Happens to probably 90% of us. Just stick to your program and stay off the scale for a few days. It'll eventually break (usually takes 1-3 weeks) and you'll be on your merry way again...

@catwoman7 thank you for your continued support and sharing with me.

10 hours ago, vikingbeast said:

Totally the three-week stall. It lasted a bit over a week for me and then WHOOOOOOOOSH the weight came flying off. I'm averaging a bit over 4 lbs. a week now (hooray for the honeymoon period!) and 59 lbs. from goal. I know it'll slow down as I get closer to equilibrium, but for right now I love it.

No te rajes!!

@vikingbeast 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣 “no te rajes” that’s going to be my week motivation phrase. Yeah I am about in that 7 days stall. Thank you me hicistes el día mano en la verdad. Felicitaciones en tus libras perdidas.

So glad to hear it all resolved. You must've been scared and frustrated. Super news!!