Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Bari-Friends!

I'm looking for some friends to get through December. I start the liquid diet Dec. 1 for surgery on the 15th. I also have to quarantine, so I'm terrified about adherence to the diet. I'd love to find some like-minded people (no matter when your surgery is) to "meet" with online to share tips, strategies, fun, and progress. My surgery has been delayed repeatedly, most recently because of Covid--twice. Ugh! Now, cold weather and quarantine mean almost nowhere to go and nothing to do. It's unnerving.

I'd love to hear from you--drop a line and let's find ways to manage this cold weather, quarantined, Covid, no-food extravaganza and make it fun and exciting!

Best to you,

LadyVan

Covid. The state where I'm having surgery has had a Covid explosion and very few beds left. The gov issued moratoriums for 2 months, then because of those delays, all the rest of the surgeries were way behind. Anyone who gets Covid can't have surgery. We all have to have a Covid test 2 days before surgery as well.

My surgery (SADI+hiatal hernia repair) is on Dec 3rd. So I'm on the liquid-only diet as well... My coworker handed me a piece of chocolate the other day and I ate it without thinking. Ugh. But it's already done and nothing I can do but try to be better about it.

I don't have to quarantine (thank goodness because I still have to work!) but I do have to take a test within 3 days of the surgery.

I'm trying not to be nervous but I am.

3 hours ago, AIM said:

My surgery (SADI+hiatal hernia repair) is on Dec 3rd. So I'm on the liquid-only diet as well... My coworker handed me a piece of chocolate the other day and I ate it without thinking. Ugh. But it's already done and nothing I can do but try to be better about it.

I don't have to quarantine (thank goodness because I still have to work!) but I do have to take a test within 3 days of the surgery.

I'm trying not to be nervous but I am.

I'm having multiple procedures as well, and I'm also very nervous. I've lost a lot of confidence in my "team" for various reasons, but I'm also concerned about contracting Covid while in the hospital since staff don't have to be vaccinated. I've heard some horror stories. With all the delays and changes of plan, I wonder if anyone is really in charge. Haven't met anyone in person yet, and I've been on this path since December of last year.

Hi - fellow December Bari-surgery patient here from South Africa. Mine is due on the 8th. Right now I'm on day 2 of the pre-op diet, and I've got to be honest... It's killing me! 😂 The irony is that due to health issues I haven't had a decent appetite for just about 2 years now, so I honestly was not expecting the hunger. I think the hunger came on the moment I got my list of do's and don't's regarding the food. I live in a large household and I'm doing this alone, so I'm really struggling now with motivation and wondering if this is even worth it... Help!

I understand when you ask is it worth it. I wouldn't be doing it if it weren't for some funky heart stuff that's just been discovered. I start my liquid diet on Dec. 1, and I know it's going to be brutal, mostly because I also have to quarantine. If I could still go to the gym, swim, see family/friends, shop, go out, etc., travel, it would be a whole different story. Quarantine itself makes people crazy, so I know this is going to be rough for me. I'm in the midwest US, so this is now winter, and the weather will soon make it impossible to even be outside. I will be a prisoner in my house. Just saying it is horrifying.

And having to miss all the holidays with family/friends for the second year in a row is also demoralizing.

I'm on my 7th? I think? day of the liquid-only pre-sx diet. I'm actually struggling to drink enough of the Protein Shakes. I am supposed to drink 5 Protein shakes and Water every day.

I'm a little worried about my low intake. I know I need the protein. I just can't seem to get them down.

I also skipped this holiday with my friends (my family is in Buffalo, I'm in NC) because I didn't want to be tempted. My BF keeps saying I'm almost there. I keep saying... Yeah, for my SX but I'll be on liquids for a month or two after surgery!

I cleaned out the fridge so there wouldn't be temptations. I have 2 more workdays and 1 week left. EEEK.

I'm glad I don't have to quarantine. I'm surprised they're requiring it from you. I would think they would be more concerned about you getting a nosocomial infection from unvaccinated hospital staff rather than staff getting something from you!

I agree about the infections. I'm more worried about what's going to happen to me in every way, once I'm at the hospital. I'm also planning on cleaning out my cabinets just before the liquid diet. I think if I just didn't have to quarantine this would be so much less stressful.

Wow! You guys have it really rough with quarantine and then liquid diet for so long! Yikes! I think I'd prefer to just be put on an IV and knocked out for 2 weeks instead... All in all, I'm doing ok. I spoke to my dietician today and she encouraged me to eat my free veggies when the hunger pangs hit - which I'm going to do now that I know I can! It does help to get in touch with others who are going through the same stuff, doubts and fears.

LadyVan, as we put it in South Africa: "Vasbyt!" (literally, bite hard - or else, hang tough) I'll be rooting for you!

Maybe there's a cool show you can start watching to get you through the long hours? Ever tried any Korean shows? They've been game-changing for me...

Thanks so much for the encouragement. Sometimes, I want to scream. Other times, cry.

lol I've never tried Korean shows. I'll look for those.

I wish I could have veggies!!

PS--Maybe they could just knock me out for 6 months or so-hah!

Hi:) I’m new here and I don’t know yet how to make my initial post. But I’m so exited that I have my surgery day set for Dec 9th and looking ok’ing for all the tips and encouragement I can get. I am in Southern Ca so weather isn’t an issue 😊

I can get the frustration... but honestly, it's been a huge help to just chat here to people who are going through the same thing (or worse) that I'm going through.

Big thing today has been the news that there's this new sucky Covid variant found here in southern Africa. Now I'm suddenly not sure if my op is in jeopardy if there's another lockdown looming... Will have to chat with my surgeon on Monday.

Meanwhile, I'm wishing you all of the best, while hanging on day by day!

PS. LadyVan, I'd highly recommend trying Guardian: The Great and Lonely God as an entry into a Korean show. It has action, hilarity, mystery, romance and fantasy all wrapped into one - and bring the tissues! (seriously, as a non-crier - bring the tissues!) You can get it on Netflix amongst other sites.

1 hour ago, Jo Muller said:

I can get the frustration... but honestly, it's been a huge help to just chat here to people who are going through the same thing (or worse) that I'm going through.

Big thing today has been the news that there's this new sucky Covid variant found here in southern Africa. Now I'm suddenly not sure if my op is in jeopardy if there's another lockdown looming... Will have to chat with my surgeon on Monday.

Meanwhile, I'm wishing you all of the best, while hanging on day by day!

PS. LadyVan, I'd highly recommend trying Guardian: The Great and Lonely God as an entry into a Korean show. It has action, hilarity, mystery, romance and fantasy all wrapped into one - and bring the tissues! (seriously, as a non-crier - bring the tissues!) You can get it on Netflix amongst other sites.

I am so jealous you can "chat" with your surgeon. Here, they keep them locked away in glass cases, I guess. We patients are just strangers to them. I heard about the variant there--stay well!