Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First night being home and I couldn’t sleep in my bed. I slept on my recliner in the living room. My question is for the people who went through the sleeping on the recliner stage. How long did it take you to get back in your bed comfortably? I just want to get in my bed!! 😭

STATS:

I had the RNY and Hernia repair. My surgery date was Nov. 15. Highest starting weight is 360 I’m now 313. 5’8 tall.

Edited by UniquelyMe28

I had VSG, so not exactly apples to apples, but it took a good 5 days before I was able to comfortably sleep in my bed. The gas pain/pressure really necessitated sleeping upright, and the bending/twisting to get in & out of bed kept me in the chair for another day or two. But thankfully, it does get better and by about day 10 I was sleeping completely normally without any issues (on my side/stomach). Hang in there, it does get better!

19 minutes ago, Sleeve_Me_Alone said:

I had VSG, so not exactly apples to apples, but it took a good 5 days before I was able to comfortably sleep in my bed. The gas pain/pressure really necessitated sleeping upright, and the bending/twisting to get in & out of bed kept me in the chair for another day or two. But thankfully, it does get better and by about day 10 I was sleeping completely normally without any issues (on my side/stomach). Hang in there, it does get better!

Thank you! I am looking forward to sleeping in my own bed. I have little to no gas pain. It’s just the twisting and getting out of bed to use the restroom that have me in pain.

2 hours ago, UniquelyMe28 said:

It’s just the twisting and getting out of bed to use the restroom that have me in pain.

Try holding a pillow over your belly when getting up or twisting. Putting that mild pressure over the incisions helps. A belly binder also helps, but if you were to order it now, you will be up and around before you would receive it.

56 minutes ago, Sunnyway said:

Try holding a pillow over your belly when getting up or twisting. Putting that mild pressure over the incisions helps. A belly binder also helps, but if you were to order it now, you will be up and around before you would receive it.

I have a belly binder and that helps me walk straight instead of limping over. I haven’t tried the pillow. I will be trying that today. Thank you!

Hi,

I had the sleeve done on 11/8 I documented my pain levels and intake. I was given dilaudid for 15 days and Tylenol 650mg every 6-8 hours. I took the dilaudid every 4 hours for the first few days and made sure I’m taking one before bedtime. It helped me get comfortable at night. You may want to elevate your back too by adding extra pillows.

As for the gas pains, I made it a point to ache a walk every 4 hours for 5 mins. I’m using my treadmill and using the lowest speed.

Hope this help.

11 hours ago, UniquelyMe28 said:

First night being home and I couldn’t sleep in my bed. I slept on my recliner in the living room. My question is for the people who went through the sleeping on the recliner stage. How long did it take you to get back in your bed comfortably? I just want to get in my bed!! 😭

STATS:

I had the RNY and Hernia repair. My surgery date was Nov. 15. Highest starting weight is 360 I’m now 313. 5’8 tall.

After 1 week I can sleep comfortably on either side or my stomach. I’m 272 now. Surgery 11/9.

I had my gastric sleeve surgery done on 11/01. When I came home the next afternoon, and settled down I was in my recliner. For my first 4 days my sleep pattern was messed up. Also I take a lot medication. After my surgery some of my meds were changed and some were discontinued. All of these changes caused sleep issues. I downloaded Sleep Pillow app on my iPhone. I pick out some soothing white noice such as “ocean waves”. I set the timer or leave it so it runs all night. Put the sound on low. I close my eyes and listen to the ocean waves and next then you know I’m out.

5 hours ago, Lifestyle Changer said:

I had my gastric sleeve surgery done on 11/01. When I came home the next afternoon, and settled down I was in my recliner. For my first 4 days my sleep pattern was messed up. Also I take a lot medication. After my surgery some of my meds were changed and some were discontinued. All of these changes caused sleep issues. I downloaded Sleep Pillow app on my iPhone. I pick out some soothing white noice such as “ocean waves”. I set the timer or leave it so it runs all night. Put the sound on low. I close my eyes and listen to the ocean waves and next then you know I’m out.

Thanks I’m going to try that. I’m up and down throughout the night. I just want to sleep through the night with no issues. Oh and god forbid I start coughing or sneezing. That’s the worst pain!😭 I know it’s temporary I just wanted to see how others dealt with it.