Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First meeting with dietitian later today

I'm still very early in this process (have met with Dr., psychologist and had lab work) and today I'm having my first meeting with the dietician. I'm very excited because I desperately need the help. But also very nervous because I feel like things get very real after this and I just don't have much confidence I can make changes to my eating habits. It's been a miserable year of trying, driving me to the (somewhat) depression I have now that's caused me to seek out surgery. And I'm really concerned what it's going to do to me psychologically if she tells me I need to do X (to prepare for the surgery? to prove I'm ready?) and I fail at it. Yesterday was a really tough day for me emotionally, I'm not even sure why. I've lived a very happy 50 years and it's only the past year the weight has really gotten me down. And I'm just not sure what's going on in my normally clear head right now.

Really appreciate BariatricPal, though! I've never talked much about weight stuff with people who can relate before. It's therapeutic.

Take it one day at a time. It will all work out.

I have to meet with a dietitian once a month prior to surgery--going on 6 months now. I've not found their advice very helpful, but it does make me accountable to report in. I've seen a different person each month so I have NOT developed a clinical relationship with any one of them. They don't seem to have looked at my chart prior to visits and it really pisses me off. My case is an outlier but they forget that until I remind them--every fricking time. It's very frustrating, but it makes me more determined. I've done lots of reading about WLS and have gotten numerous bariatric cookbooks. I'm as ready as I ever will be. I encourage you to do your homework, too, by learning as much as you can throughout the process.

A different person every time would really tick me off! I really liked the woman I worked with. I don't have to see her again, but I may as I try to lose 25 pounds before surgery. She was impressed how much I knew and said I'd be surprised how many people talk to her without really knowing what they're getting into. Can't imagine making this decision without the immense research I've already done.

Hope things work out well for you.

14 hours ago, doobie31 said:

I'm still very early in this process (have met with Dr., psychologist and had lab work) and today I'm having my first meeting with the dietician. I'm very excited because I desperately need the help. But also very nervous because I feel like things get very real after this and I just don't have much confidence I can make changes to my eating habits. It's been a miserable year of trying, driving me to the (somewhat) depression I have now that's caused me to seek out surgery. And I'm really concerned what it's going to do to me psychologically if she tells me I need to do X (to prepare for the surgery? to prove I'm ready?) and I fail at it. Yesterday was a really tough day for me emotionally, I'm not even sure why. I've lived a very happy 50 years and it's only the past year the weight has really gotten me down. And I'm just not sure what's going on in my normally clear head right now.

Really appreciate BariatricPal, though! I've never talked much about weight stuff with people who can relate before. It's therapeutic.

I think a lot of us had that same worry.

I'm here to tell you that the eating habits DO change.

Sometimes, if I'm out, I'll order food like The Before Times... and then after a few bites I'm all "yeah, not doing this". Tonight there was cake. I had a few bites and pushed the rest away. The old me would have et the whole dang thing and gone for seconds (and possibly thirds).

The whole point of the surgery, really, is to give you a tool that makes it a bit easier to develop better habits.

You know how when you start a diet pre-op, and the first week or few days you're ALL IN on the diet, and the weight starts to come off, and you feel like you can just DO this?

Now imagine that for six months. Or a year. Because the weight will just come off. Especially for us—it is, unfairly, still easier and faster for male bariatric patients to lose than female (in general).

By the time the weight loss slows down, the habits you need are ingrained.

11 hours ago, doobie31 said:

I don't have to see her again, but I may as I try to lose 25 pounds before surgery

I'm surprised you aren't required to follow up regularly. Dietary counseling really should be both pre and post surgery. Merely being accountable and having to check in keeps one on the right path.

A 25-lb loss is doable. I've lost 50+ over 6 months pre-op with rigorous attention to the high Protein, low carb, low-fat food food plan they provided. I've stalled and It's gotten more difficult to follow the plan as I get closer to surgery, but I have not regained any of the loss.

2 hours ago, Sunnyway said:

I'm surprised you aren't required to follow up regularly. Dietary counseling really should be both pre and post surgery. Merely being accountable and having to check in keeps one on the right path.

A 25-lb loss is doable. I've lost 50+ over 6 months pre-op with rigorous attention to the high Protein, low carb, low-fat food food plan they provided. I've stalled and It's gotten more difficult to follow the plan as I get closer to surgery, but I have not regained any of the loss.

I was surprised, too. I thought I did. I'm glad I don't because it's the only pre-visit that's not covered by insurance. And I do plan to continue to see them some, even with self-pay, just shorter sessions.

I'm sure it's possible for me to do 25 pounds, done it many times before. Just haven't been able to do it lately. But my appointment went well and I'm confident.

I think a lot of us had that same worry.
I'm here to tell you that the eating habits DO change.
Sometimes, if I'm out, I'll order food like The Before Times... and then after a few bites I'm all "yeah, not doing this". Tonight there was cake. I had a few bites and pushed the rest away. The old me would have et the whole dang thing and gone for seconds (and possibly thirds).
The whole point of the surgery, really, is to give you a tool that makes it a bit easier to develop better habits.
You know how when you start a diet pre-op, and the first week or few days you're ALL IN on the diet, and the weight starts to come off, and you feel like you can just DO this?
Now imagine that for six months. Or a year. Because the weight will just come off. Especially for us—it is, unfairly, still easier and faster for male bariatric patients to lose than female (in general).
By the time the weight loss slows down, the habits you need are ingrained.
Also what helps is that after surgery your taste for things will change & (for the better or worse) your body won't tolerate things like The Before Times.

For example I used to eat all types of fat foods fried things now I can't stomach fried chicken... it really sucked at first even almost made me depressed but then I realized I shouldn't be even be choosing that food in the first place to fill my tiny stomach anyways.

Sent from my SM-G996U using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm looking forward to that! Eg: I used to love ice cream and Cereal, but now I'm more lactose intolerant and rarely have either. Please surgery - add more to that "no no" list.