Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair loss and perming hair

I already had very thin hair before surgery. I always perm my hair to add volume. I am 5 months out and have been losing hair for the last month. Has anybody permed their hair during this phase?

Edited by Gamma98

This is not the answer to your question, but...

I am...older... and I have thinning hair as well. I have used Rogaine on and off over the years, and it does help. I get fine fuzz, which helps hide the scalp. I also use a colored dry Shampoo to camouflage the bad spots, and lo and behold, that topomax helps too. I guess it works, as my daughter came with me when I had my hair washed and cut, and she said she never knew my hair was thin...

I didn’t perm my hair but I did regularly colour it without issue. You’re not losing hair because it is unhealthy. You are losing hair because your natural Hair loss cycle has been accelerated. Perming shouldn’t be any harder on your existing hair then it was before. (I remember perming was always very harsh on my hair - drying - but that was a long time ago now. ) Maybe consider giving your hair a break for the couple of months while you’re shedding more. It will only benefit the hair you have left. But if you’re concerned ask your hairdresser about the general health of your hair.

Yeah I have healthy hair other than the falling out from surgery. I’m due for my regular perm so won’t be doing it sooner than normal. Guess I am just worried if the chemicals would do anything in this phase. I hated my thinning hair before surgery. Lol

On 11/15/2021 at 3:06 PM, oldandtired said:

This is not the answer to your question, but...

I am...older... and I have thinning hair as well. I have used Rogaine on and off over the years, and it does help. I get fine fuzz, which helps hide the scalp. I also use a colored dry Shampoo to camouflage the bad spots, and lo and behold, that topomax helps too. I guess it works, as my daughter came with me when I had my hair washed and cut, and she said she never knew my hair was thin...

What kind of Shampoo are you using?

Just regular. I tried the "thickening" ones. All they did was strip my hair, made it straw-like. I DO use a lot of gel and hairspray, tho.

3 hours ago, oldandtired said:

Just regular. I tried the "thickening" ones. All they did was strip my hair, made it straw-like. I DO use a lot of gel and hairspray, tho.

I swear I should just buy stock into the hair spray lately lol

Used to say it wasn’t a real night out unless there was a haze of hairspray in the bathroom & all you could smell was Taft. Remember the big black cans of super hold Silhouette hair spray in the 80s (or maybe you’re too young). Superglue in a can. The only thing guaranteed to hold those gravity defying hairstyles we had back then. Lol!

Lol! Not too young, but had loads of hair, and permed the heck out of it!

Used to say it wasn’t a real night out unless there was a haze of hairspray in the bathroom & all you could smell was Taft. Remember the big black cans of super hold Silhouette hair spray in the 80s (or maybe you’re too young). Superglue in a can. The only thing guaranteed to hold those gravity defying hairstyles we had back then. Lol!
For me it was Aquanet! That crap glued the air vent to the floor of the bathroom and it took a crowbar to get it off!

I have developed a L'ange obsession. There is a hairdresser out of Boise who sells it, but also provides hair care advice - Jasmine Rae Hair Co., you can find her on Facebook and Instagram. I might just be seeing things, but her advice seems to be helping my hair. Things like how to blowdry/shampoo/brush and do less damage. Apparently vigorously towel drying your hair causes frizz and breakage, who knew?

Sent from my SM-N976V using BariatricPal mobile app

I already had very thin hair before surgery. I always perm my hair to add volume. I am 5 months out and have been losing hair for the last month. Has anybody permed their hair during this phase?

I had my surgery on Nov 1st and already at hairloss stage!!!![emoji24][emoji24]

Sent from my SM-G973U using BariatricPal mobile app

Hair loss is a natural process, but if the hair falls out more than it should, you should consult a trichologist. No wonder your hair falls out after surgery, which is a common consequence. I believe that you need to stop doing perming, at least for a while. Now you need to restore and nourish your hair with a good Shampoo. The nioxin ingredients contain natural herbs and Vitamins, so they are harmless to you.

Edited by LayneStewart141