Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

no more dairy...ugh! Breakfast?

I've had the coconut yogurt and its not bad. Sometimes you have to try a few before you find one you like. I've never been a huge Breakfast person and I absolutely despise eggs in every form, so morning meals are always tricky for me. Most often I simply have "leftovers" for breakfast. When I was in the puree/soft food phases, I'd make a batch of thin refried Beans, thick Soup, hummus, mashed cauliflower, or other similar foods and then eat it for multiple meals in a row, or I would freeze them in single serve containers and rotate. oatmeal or cream of wheat with Protein Powder mixed in might be good options, too.

There's no law that you can only eat "breakfast foods" at breakfast! I am not a big egg person either, and in the soft phase I had things like tuna or really soft shredded chicken--in my case I mixed it with a little greek yogurt for moisture and Protein, but you could try non-dairy options instead, like broth or taco sauce. Are you having any sensitivity to whey protein since it's sort of dairy-adjacent, or is that working for you so far? Since you said that lactose-free didn't solve the problem, I wonder if your body is just not happy with some other component of the food right now and might eventually resolve itself as you heal.

1 hour ago, cellbell said:

There's no law that you can only eat "breakfast foods" at breakfast! I am not a big egg person either, and in the soft phase I had things like tuna or really soft shredded chicken--in my case I mixed it with a little greek yogurt for moisture and Protein, but you could try non-dairy options instead, like broth or taco sauce. Are you having any sensitivity to whey Protein since it's sort of dairy-adjacent, or is that working for you so far? Since you said that lactose-free didn't solve the problem, I wonder if your body is just not happy with some other component of the food right now and might eventually resolve itself as you heal.

I'll be honest I don't know---I can't emphasize enough this whole debacle has wreaked such havoc on my system (nearly making it impossible to eat or even drink fluids sometimes) that I'm really, really not looking to begin experimenting on how close I can get to the edge before I begin having problems. There have been times I have felt like I was wasting away vs losing weight--there have been days I haven't even broken 100 calories because of the discomfort and I felt sick, weak, and loopy.

The good news is that since I eliminated dairy, whatever component of it is bothering me, I feel better than I have since 3 weeks after my surgery, so for now, anything milk-based is a full embargo. That is my personal decision based on the fact I'm just enjoying getting back to not feeling afraid everything I put in my mouth is going to hurt me. I'm sure it won't be that much of an impediment, there are lots of vegan sources of protein out there and at this point eating isn't really supposed to be fun.

tuna has been enjoyable and comfortable to eat and I think I may expand it into my breakfast regimen.

Edited by pintsizedmallrat

I totally get it, I wouldn't be wanting to experiment either with what your body has been through! I guess I was just wondering out loud about the extent of it, no intention to push you to try again.

If tuna works, you could try other canned fish like salmon etc to avoid the mercury issue and have some additional variety.

Gage makes a lactose free yogurt I can tolerate. All Cabot Hill Fam cheeses from Vermont are also lactose free. Cabot hill makes a 50% lite cheddar that tastes good. Watch out for deli meats because they are all made with a milk binder except Boar’s Head meats. Be careful with any “worsted “ meats too. I just had shakes and Fage yogurt during the mushy phase because everything mushy has lactose. Ground meat phase will come soon and get better, sorry.