Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

no more dairy...ugh! Breakfast?

Hey folks...

So after feeling like garbage for over a month when I started soft foods, it turns out I am really, really sensitive to dairy since my surgery so anything like that is a no-go. My whole diet has basically been cheese milk and yogurt since my surgery and while I'm happy to know now why I was having so many issues (they were so bad I was worried I had a stricture or had developed a hiatal hernia), I'm not sure what to eat now! I'm on soft foods for another month.

Does anyone have any good recommendations of a plant-based yogurt that doesn't taste like liquid oatmeal? I tried the soy-based Silk ones and they're just so gross. Any other ideas for quick grab-and-go breakfasts? (I start work ridiculously early, I don't want to be frying eggs at 5 AM).

Can't help on the yogurt, but one of my favorite grab-and-go breakfasts is hard-boiled eggs.

5 hours ago, pintsizedmallrat said:

Hey folks...

So after feeling like garbage for over a month when I started soft foods, it turns out I am really, really sensitive to dairy since my surgery so anything like that is a no-go. My whole diet has basically been cheese milk and yogurt since my surgery and while I'm happy to know now why I was having so many issues (they were so bad I was worried I had a stricture or had developed a hiatal hernia), I'm not sure what to eat now! I'm on soft foods for another month.

Does anyone have any good recommendations of a plant-based yogurt that doesn't taste like liquid oatmeal? I tried the soy-based Silk ones and they're just so gross. Any other ideas for quick grab-and-go breakfasts? (I start work ridiculously early, I don't want to be frying eggs at 5 AM).

There are nut and coconut yogurts especially for vegans. I like coconut milk best of all the alternate milks.

You can also fry a week's worth of eggs in advance and keep them in the refrigerator. Warm them in the microwave along with a slice of Canadian bacon or pre-cooked bacon and a bit of cheese in the time it takes to toast an English muffin. Then assemble and eat in the car.

(Sorry for being unresponsive to your actual question. I don't use yogurt of any kind, including plant-based.)

3 hours ago, FutureSylph said:

Can't help on the yogurt, but one of my favorite grab-and-go breakfasts is hard-boiled eggs.

Is it weird having to chew them up that fine, though? Every time I think about eating a hard boiled egg the idea of having to chew each bite 30 times kinda weirds me out.

2 hours ago, Dave In Houston said:

You can also fry a week's worth of eggs in advance and keep them in the refrigerator. Warm them in the microwave along with a slice of Canadian bacon or pre-cooked bacon and a bit of cheese in the time it takes to toast an English muffin. Then assemble and eat in the car.

(Sorry for being unresponsive to your actual question. I don't use yogurt of any kind, including plant-based.)

The cheese is going to be a problem for me in this instance and my current diet plan doesn't allow for any cured meats but that's definitely an idea for later.

What about farina/Cream of Wheat? (Prepared with Water or alt-milk, of course.)

I have seen Skyr yogurt that is lactose free...Skyr is delicious.

Other than that I would recommend hard boiled eggs, or Cream of wheat (with a splash of caramel sugar free syrup) is so tasty like pancakes. I always make oatmeal in the am with Protein Powder, and Peanut Butter powder. Most ultrafiltered milk is lactose free (Fairlife)...maybe you can try some lactose free products? If not, oatmeal made with Water vs milk works just as well too. Chia seed pudding with coconut milk would be pretty tasty too....and you can leave that overnight and grab some in the am. I have a slenderized version of the recipe if you'd like it :)

Have you tried Lactose-Free products? Lactaid Fat-Free milk and Cottage cheese are readily available. FairLife Ultra-Filtered is also Lactose-Free. There are vegan cheeses that are fairly tasty if your Lactose-intolerance goes as far as cheese. Coconut yogurt is more expensive, but dairy free. Fage Zero Greek Yogurt is a milk product but is fat-free.

Also, don't assume that your new lactose intolerance will be life-long. I still can't tolerate much whole milk or ice-cream but cheese and yogurt are no longer a problem.

11 hours ago, pintsizedmallrat said:

Is it weird having to chew them up that fine, though? Every time I think about eating a hard boiled egg the idea of having to chew each bite 30 times kinda weirds me out.

Use an egg slicer and dice them up like your going to make eggs salad and then chew it.

11 hours ago, pintsizedmallrat said:

Becoming lactose intolerant after surgery is not that uncommon. There are lots of lactose free & plant based dairy products available these days - cheeses, yoghurts, milk, ice cream, etc. You may have to try a few to find the ones you enjoy most though. I use lactose free milk but mainly because it has a much longer shelf life than ordinary fresh milk but also because if I have a lot of ordinary milk I can have issues. I have no trouble with cheeses or yoghurt.

I don’t understand the chewing 30 times thing at all & am very glad I wasn’t told to do that. If your food is soft & moist enough you shouldn’t have to chew it down to a flavourless mush before swallowing. That’s why we use blenders in the purée stage or use a fork to mash what you eat a little first.

I was able to eat milky rolled oats (instant 2 min ones) from purée stage. Easy to fix at work too. I used to microwave reheat scrambled eggs often (2 eggs lasted me three breakfasts). Can get a bit rubbery though.

On 11/14/2021 at 12:27 PM, Sunnyway said:

Have you tried Lactose-Free products? Lactaid Fat-Free milk and Cottage cheese are readily available. FairLife Ultra-Filtered is also Lactose-Free. There are vegan cheeses that are fairly tasty if your Lactose-intolerance goes as far as cheese. Coconut yogurt is more expensive, but dairy free. Fage Zero Greek Yogurt is a milk product but is fat-free.

Also, don't assume that your new lactose intolerance will be life-long. I still can't tolerate much whole milk or ice-cream but cheese and yogurt are no longer a problem.

I'm not entirely sure it's just lactose intolerance; I took lactaid with a dairy product the other night and almost immediately started getting symptoms so I'm sort of not too hyped on trying it again--A big part of this process is supposed to be "listening to your body" and I feel like that was a pretty loud, clear message not to try it again. I'm getting some coconut yogurt today to try and if it works i'm going to do that with vegan Protein powder to get some additional nutrients.

On 11/14/2021 at 10:00 PM, Arabesque said:

Becoming lactose intolerant after surgery is not that uncommon. There are lots of lactose free & plant based dairy products available these days - cheeses, yoghurts, milk, ice cream, etc. You may have to try a few to find the ones you enjoy most though. I use lactose free milk but mainly because it has a much longer shelf life than ordinary fresh milk but also because if I have a lot of ordinary milk I can have issues. I have no trouble with cheeses or yoghurt.

I don’t understand the chewing 30 times thing at all & am very glad I wasn’t told to do that. If your food is soft & moist enough you shouldn’t have to chew it down to a flavourless mush before swallowing. That’s why we use blenders in the purée stage or use a fork to mash what you eat a little first.

I was able to eat milky rolled oats (instant 2 min ones) from purée stage. Easy to fix at work too. I used to microwave reheat scrambled eggs often (2 eggs lasted me three breakfasts). Can get a bit rubbery though.

I'm only doing what I was instructed to do by my surgeon's office. So far it has prevented problems for me so I am going to continue to do it. I've had so many issues getting enough food in my system until now that I'm really not looking to rock the boat by doing anything contrary to their instructions.

On 11/14/2021 at 6:32 PM, Elidh said:

How about refried Beans?

That sounds like a good idea, maybe even with some salsa later when I'm allowed to eat that.