Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Other Protein Alternatives

So the program I am doing doesn't really want us to use Protein Powder except for unusual circumstances.

We are supposed to get our Protein from natural food sources - Something to boost protein - *milk powder, Peanut Butter powder* can be used. Rest need to come from cottage cheese, cheese, tofu, Oats, milk, lentils etc. Well that's for vegetarians, which I am.

Non-Vegetatians have more options with meat and chicken.

So I am sure dialy protein need can come from various food sources than having to use protein powders.

10 hours ago, LouLouM said:

And I'm sorry to "hijack" your post, but reading the replies has me curious about Protein Water. I wonder if any of them are any good? Please chime in, everyone! I'm curious to know if anyone has one in particular that they can recommend.

Premier Protein clear fruit juice wasn’t bad. Immediately Post surgery everything else was too sweet to me. That was my lifeline.

The BariWise Soups are pretty good. Keep the Water temp under 140 degrees so they have a smooth texture. If the water or milk is too hot, the Protein sticks together.

I found I really liked the Protein2O before surgery (but not after) and now I really like the Isopure, either in powder form or in the pre-bottled form. I get mine at the Vitamin Shoppe.

Also, get creative with where you put Protein powder. I made protein Jell-O during my liquid phase. Easy to eat and tasty, and get your protein in.

Thanks. I kind of predict that I won't like it either. Probably too sweet or too artificial tasting.
I am loving the savory chicken Soup flavor of Unjury and now I'm curious about their other flavors!
I like Protein2O and I hate everything, lol. I have also enjoyed Isopure Infusions because they are clear. None seemed too sweet or artificial.

Sent from my SM-G986U using BariatricPal mobile app

Syntrax Nectar was the best Protein for me.

It is not thick or chalky and the fruit flavors are refreshing. (Grapefruit was, and still is surprisingly, my favorite.

If no one has said it yet…. Bone Broth. I like the LonoLife chicken one for prepackaged powders. As for liquid ones I usually make my own as it’s super easy and I can season it to my liking.

I like them too.

Does anyone have great advice for me on alternative Protein Shakes or waters, I am allergic to whey Protein. I have the garden of life and Orgain but I would love to find a good protein Water. I am quite tired of the vanilla and chocolate too, I’d love to find a good berry one. I bought an unflavored one and it was horrible! I am 10 weeks post op and struggling to get all my protein in.
Thank you!

25 minutes ago, Olygirl89 said:

I have the garden of life and Orgain ...

The Orgain chocolate Caramel Sea Salt and Peppermint Hot Chocolate are delicious. Have you tried Purely Inspired products? They are also plant-protein.

Screen Shot 2021-12-07 at 12.25.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-07 at 12.25.57 PM.png

On 11/27/2021 at 9:57 AM, LouLouM said:

And I'm sorry to "hijack" your post, but reading the replies has me curious about Protein Water. I wonder if any of them are any good? Please chime in, everyone! I'm curious to know if anyone has one in particular that they can recommend.

I find some of the flavoured ones can cause reflux

I found early on that shakes were not going to be a staple for me. After 2 weeks of having 5 a day preop, followed by 4 weeks of having them multiple times a day post op I was more than done with them. I am not someone that likes to eat sweet things that often, plus, I developed some dairy issues after surgery. I tried the Protein waters, but, did not like how my mouth felt afterwards. After talking with my surgeon, he is totally fine with these not being a staple in my diet. I focus on getting my protein in via food I chew. The things I turn to most often are - egg whites (I have an intolerance to whole eggs), all types of meats and seafood in all different forms cooked in a variety of ways, Quest chips, Protein Bars (occasionally), cheese, magic spoon Cereal, Beans, unflavored protein powder added to Soups or fat free refried beans. I easily hit my goal of 60-80 grams a day. I do have some non dairy shakes I keep in the house for the rare times I don't have any time to grab a non shake options, but, I honestly try to avoid doing this as much as possible.