Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Other Protein Alternatives

So the program I am doing doesn't really want us to use Protein Powder except for unusual circumstances.

We are supposed to get our Protein from natural food sources - Something to boost protein - *milk powder, Peanut Butter powder* can be used. Rest need to come from cottage cheese, cheese, tofu, Oats, milk, lentils etc. Well that's for vegetarians, which I am.

Non-Vegetatians have more options with meat and chicken.

So I am sure dialy protein need can come from various food sources than having to use protein powders.

10 hours ago, LouLouM said:

And I'm sorry to "hijack" your post, but reading the replies has me curious about Protein Water. I wonder if any of them are any good? Please chime in, everyone! I'm curious to know if anyone has one in particular that they can recommend.

Premier Protein clear fruit juice wasn’t bad. Immediately Post surgery everything else was too sweet to me. That was my lifeline.

The BariWise Soups are pretty good. Keep the Water temp under 140 degrees so they have a smooth texture. If the water or milk is too hot, the Protein sticks together.

I found I really liked the Protein2O before surgery (but not after) and now I really like the Isopure, either in powder form or in the pre-bottled form. I get mine at the Vitamin Shoppe.

Also, get creative with where you put Protein powder. I made protein Jell-O during my liquid phase. Easy to eat and tasty, and get your protein in.

Thanks. I kind of predict that I won't like it either. Probably too sweet or too artificial tasting.
I am loving the savory chicken Soup flavor of Unjury and now I'm curious about their other flavors!
I like Protein2O and I hate everything, lol. I have also enjoyed Isopure Infusions because they are clear. None seemed too sweet or artificial.

Sent from my SM-G986U using BariatricPal mobile app

Syntrax Nectar was the best Protein for me.

It is not thick or chalky and the fruit flavors are refreshing. (Grapefruit was, and still is surprisingly, my favorite.

If no one has said it yet…. Bone Broth. I like the LonoLife chicken one for prepackaged powders. As for liquid ones I usually make my own as it’s super easy and I can season it to my liking.

I like them too.

Does anyone have great advice for me on alternative Protein Shakes or waters, I am allergic to whey Protein. I have the garden of life and Orgain but I would love to find a good protein Water. I am quite tired of the vanilla and chocolate too, I’d love to find a good berry one. I bought an unflavored one and it was horrible! I am 10 weeks post op and struggling to get all my protein in.
Thank you!

25 minutes ago, Olygirl89 said:

I have the garden of life and Orgain ...

The Orgain chocolate Caramel Sea Salt and Peppermint Hot Chocolate are delicious. Have you tried Purely Inspired products? They are also plant-protein.

Screen Shot 2021-12-07 at 12.25.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-07 at 12.25.57 PM.png

On 11/27/2021 at 9:57 AM, LouLouM said:

And I'm sorry to "hijack" your post, but reading the replies has me curious about Protein Water. I wonder if any of them are any good? Please chime in, everyone! I'm curious to know if anyone has one in particular that they can recommend.

I find some of the flavoured ones can cause reflux

I found early on that shakes were not going to be a staple for me. After 2 weeks of having 5 a day preop, followed by 4 weeks of having them multiple times a day post op I was more than done with them. I am not someone that likes to eat sweet things that often, plus, I developed some dairy issues after surgery. I tried the Protein waters, but, did not like how my mouth felt afterwards. After talking with my surgeon, he is totally fine with these not being a staple in my diet. I focus on getting my protein in via food I chew. The things I turn to most often are - egg whites (I have an intolerance to whole eggs), all types of meats and seafood in all different forms cooked in a variety of ways, Quest chips, Protein Bars (occasionally), cheese, magic spoon Cereal, Beans, unflavored protein powder added to Soups or fat free refried beans. I easily hit my goal of 60-80 grams a day. I do have some non dairy shakes I keep in the house for the rare times I don't have any time to grab a non shake options, but, I honestly try to avoid doing this as much as possible.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches