Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Week 5 since op

I’m in my 5th week since my gastric sleeve, I’m the uk we have fluids for one day then puréed for 2 -3 weeks then soft foods.
I was told it was my journey.
I moved on early to soft foods as Soup and purée was going straight through

I’m finding it hard still learning a new way of eating.
I can’t eat more than 2 -3 small spoon mouthfuls before i feel full and it feels almost stuck.
I just wondered if it will get better that I don’t have to wait so long to eat in between mouthfuls I’m waiting 30 seconds, I think the most hardest thing to get used to is this new way of time it takes to eat a little food.

yes - it will get better. I really don't notice a difference now that I'm a few years out (and haven't in a long time). The only thing is, I can't eat nearly as much at one sitting as I could pre-surgery.

2 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

yes - it will get better. I really don't notice a difference now that I'm a few years out (and haven't in a long time). The only thing is, I can't eat nearly as much at one sitting as I could pre-surgery.

Thank you for replying, I know I won’t be able to eat like before but I just wondered if it going down will get easier and being able to eat more than 2-3 small mouthfuls before feeling full will ever change.
Ive lost 21 pounds but I did not lose a pound in week 3 is that normal for 1 month post surgery?

Hi Shrinkingvee - have heart: it will definitely get better. Hang in there!

I’m not sure it gets much better, but rather you get used to it. I am 5months post op. The food doesn’t feel stuck any more, but the few bites is still a thing. I can usually get 6 bites in but I take large bites and eat fast which is not good so maybe if you continue with small bites and eat slow you will continue to gain bites! They call it restriction and basically it means your sleeve is doing it’s job, but it is hard to get used to! Sounds like you are on the right track… your weight loss stalls are very normal at this stage!

It does get better. 2.5 years after surgery, I can eat a small meal no differently from a person who has not had surgery. I don't have to take really small bites, I don't have to wait between mouthfuls. Over time, the restriction will ease (although it never goes away, thank goodness!)

8 hours ago, Jaelzion said:

It does get better. 2.5 years after surgery, I can eat a small meal no differently from a person who has not had surgery. I don't have to take really small bites, I don't have to wait between mouthfuls. Over time, the restriction will ease (although it never goes away, thank goodness!)

Thank you for replying, I think I just have to be patient with how my stomach heals and learn to what it accepts.
so far i have had no issues with Being sick or feeling sick from the wrong foods or eating too fast.

I only experience a little nausea when I’ve not eaten anything for a few hours.
I’m full after 2-3 small bites but I wait and eat 2 bites again after it’s gone down properly is that ok or am I doing things wrong? I just don’t know as i haven’t been given much advice except to eat small mouthfuls and put spoon down inbetween and eat a snack every 2 hours as I start to feel dizzy when I haven’t had anything for a couple of hours and I’m working now so energy depletes quite fast.
I still think it’s healing a little inside.

3 hours ago, Shrinkingvee said:

Thank you for replying, I think I just have to be patient with how my stomach heals and learn to what it accepts.
so far i have had no issues with Being sick or feeling sick from the wrong foods or eating too fast.

I only experience a little nausea when I’ve not eaten anything for a few hours.
I’m full after 2-3 small bites but I wait and eat 2 bites again after it’s gone down properly is that ok or am I doing things wrong? I just don’t know as i haven’t been given much advice except to eat small mouthfuls and put spoon down inbetween and eat a snack every 2 hours as I start to feel dizzy when I haven’t had anything for a couple of hours and I’m working now so energy depletes quite fast.
I still think it’s healing a little inside.

Edited by summerseeker
Wrong post

15 hours ago, Shrinkingvee said:

Thank you for replying, I know I won’t be able to eat like before but I just wondered if it going down will get easier and being able to eat more than 2-3 small mouthfuls before feeling full will ever change.
Ive lost 21 pounds but I did not lose a pound in week 3 is that normal for 1 month post surgery?

restriction eases over time. I'm several years out now. If this gives you any idea, at restaurants my usual order is an appetizer - or else I'll order an entree, eat half of it, and have them box up the other half. No different than a lot of my never-been-obese women friends, to be honest.

that week 3 thing is the infamous "three week stall". It's not always the third week, but it usually is, hence the name. But the vast majority of us hit our first major stall sometime during the first month or so after surgery. Stalls typically last 1-3 weeks. When you hit one (and you'll likely hit several on your journey), just stick to your plan and stay off the scale for a few days - and know that it'll eventually break and you'll be on your way again. If you want more info on the three week stall, do a search for it on this site. Last time I checked, there were over 17,000 posts on it. And no, I am NOT kidding...