Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Headaches after Bypass Surgery

Hi Everyone - I wanted to reach out and ask if anyone have headaches after the bypass. I have these headaches that last for 3 days at a time and not sure if it is due to the amount of food we are supposed to eat or the Water we are supposed to drink. What can you take besides tylenol because that doesn't always help.

Thanks,

Lisa

I can't lie it is so hard to get the fluids in. No matter the temp I just can't seem to get the 64 ozs down. I am trying gatorade zero (cold or room temp), Water, water with those nunn tabs . On a good day I can get about 40 ozs of water but that has been rare. I will try and see if that works because these headaches are annoying and keep me up at night. Thank you for replying.

1 hour ago, curvygal said:

I can't lie it is so hard to get the fluids in. No matter the temp I just can't seem to get the 64 ozs down. I am trying gatorade zero (cold or room temp), Water, Water with those nunn tabs . On a good day I can get about 40 ozs of water but that has been rare. I will try and see if that works because these headaches are annoying and keep me up at night. Thank you for replying.

Have you tried things like Crystal Light or the Walmart brand or the Starburst brand? These really helped me after surgery because I started to really hate the taste of plain water. I've started not to like them and I'm preferring hot tea now. Also, I find that I'm better at getting my water in when I have the bottle RIGHT IN MY HAND when I'm watching tv or scrolling my phone or whatever. Or when I'm working, I have it next to my hand on the desk. When I'm cooking, I take it into the kitchen.

Good luck!

good suggestions - I will do better with the Water intake. I tried Crystal Light but not sure why they said to not drink those but I can't do plain water. I can drink it really cold but my stomach hurts every time I do that. I have not tried tea but that will be on my list of to-dos.

Sorry you’re experiencing these headaches. Out of curiosity did you have to do the 2 week shake pre surgery diet? If you didn’t or only did it for a couple of days, you could be experiencing headaches because of withdrawal from caffeine, sugar, etc. Also hormones are released from your fat as you lose weight so you may be experiencing hormonal headaches. Just suggestions of other possible causes.

Check with your medical team re tea. I was allowed green or herbal tea only. I was a green tea drinker so I really enjoyed the cup I had every day after surgery. 🙂.

Hope the headaches abate soon but if they persist call your medical team.

13 hours ago, Arabesque said:

Sorry you’re experiencing these headaches. Out of curiosity did you have to do the 2 week shake pre surgery diet? If you didn’t or only did it for a couple of days, you could be experiencing headaches because of withdrawal from caffeine, sugar, etc. Also hormones are released from your fat as you lose weight so you may be experiencing hormonal headaches. Just suggestions of other possible causes.

Check with your medical team re tea. I was allowed green or herbal tea only. I was a green tea drinker so I really enjoyed the cup I had every day after surgery. 🙂.

Hope the headaches abate soon but if they persist call your medical team.

I was not allowed caffeine for the first month, but there's always herbal like mint or chamomile.

If you think you are dehydrated, buy a box of these from Walgreens (they are usually found in the baby aisle by Pedialyte). Use them like a Crystal Light packet. It will help get the liquid into your system/bloodstream VERY quickly and prevent dehydration. If you are waking up the headaches, drink one of these before bed.

ef70e246-f94a-4ac8-9ff5-1310dd0e5a63.7e5

If you think you are dehydrated, buy a box of these from Walgreens (they are usually found in the baby aisle by Pedialyte). Use them like a Crystal Light packet. It will help get the liquid into your system/bloodstream VERY quickly and prevent dehydration. If you are waking up the headaches, drink one of these before bed.
ef70e246-f94a-4ac8-9ff5-1310dd0e5a63.7e5c909e11ef10667c8e7169e5c04f28.png&key=89e9d09a2a8e22cc04229d29287c06b15a5cf8f21b4a4031398170d0399a5a73
Are those good

Sent from my octopus using BariatricPal mobile app

28 minutes ago, Lisa LoVuolo said:

Are those good

Sent from my octopus using BariatricPal mobile app

Not quite as sweet as a Crystal Light packet, but they don't taste bad. I like the watermelon flavor the best.

Unsweet tea, with Stevia!

I was adding the no-sugar Torano flavorings to my vanilla shakes, and started having headaches. Figured out the the type of sweetener they use cases headaches. Switched to Skinny brand, and everything is fine.

Regular Water is really acidic. If it's bothering your stomach, try switching to alkaline water. You can find it in the stores. Smart water makes it, its in the black bottle. There are other companies as well. It is more expensive than Regular water but it is let acidic and will not hurt your stomach. You can sometimes find it in the gallon jugs as well. If this is an ongoing issue with your stomach and water, you can find pH drops on Amazon and add them to your regular water and do it that way. It's a lot cheaper in the long run.

Sent from my SM-N975U using BariatricPal mobile app

22 hours ago, jamashburn said:

Regular Water is really acidic.

Wow. I always thought Water was neutral neither acidic nor alkaline. Think we were told that at school. But maybe it depends upon what has been added to it to purify it etc. & its source. I grew up drinking rain water & I find ‘town’ water tastes terrible so I buy my drinking water now.