Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap band expiry date

I have had the band for 13 years now. It's doing nothing inside me. I have it loose so I don't get complications. I trying to find out if and when it should be removed, especially if it's doing nothing. I don't want to find out 5 years later that I need surgery and it started to cause internal issues. To remove or not to remove?? How long does the actual material last or deteriorate inside ?

Help! I am in Ontario and need some real honest answers if anyone can direct me. Thanks.

Originally, LapBands were marketed as permanent and life-long. They are a medical grade device so they don't have an expiration date and do not require removal after a certain period of time. That being said, as the years have gone on, long term complication rates continue to go up, and there is documented research that indicates that they can degrade over time, usually starting around the 10 year mark. That is limited though, and varies widely. As such, many LapBand patients have opted to have them removed and move on to VSG or RNY as a permanent weight loss solution. If you are no longer happy with it, not using it, and/or having complications, definitely get in touch with a bariatric surgeon in your area and see what options you have for getting it removed.

On 11/8/2021 at 9:00 AM, 6Peach9 said:

I have had the band for 13 years now. It's doing nothing inside me. I have it loose so I don't get complications. I trying to find out if and when it should be removed, especially if it's doing nothing. I don't want to find out 5 years later that I need surgery and it started to cause internal issues. To remove or not to remove?? How long does the actual material last or deteriorate inside ?

Help! I am in Ontario and need some real honest answers if anyone can direct me. Thanks.

Just wondering why you have nothing in it. Seems that would be why you're not seeing any results. Have you thought about having slow, small fills to prevent issues but give yourself some restriction to start losing weight?

6 hours ago, SleeveDiva22 said:

Just wondering why you have nothing in it. Seems that would be why you're not seeing any results. Have you thought about having slow, small fills to prevent issues but give yourself some restriction to start losing weight?

They've said they have it loose to avoid complications. I had mine tight for 13 years and it didn't help me lose a single lb. In my opinion they're nonsense things.

And to answer the OPs query, biased as I am, I'd do what I did a couple months ago: whip it out and revise to a bypass which has the added benefit of actually working.

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, Pollito said:

They've said they have it loose to avoid complications. I had mine tight for 13 years and it didn't help me lose a single lb. In my opinion they're nonsense things.

And to answer the OPs query, biased as I am, I'd do what I did a couple months ago: whip it out and revise to a bypass which has the added benefit of actually working.

What i was getting at is, did the OP have complications and need to have it emptied or did they never fill it because they were afraid there might be complications?