Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tired of Protein Shakes - Water fasting?

I'm on day 3 of my 2 week liquid pre-op diet before the sleeve. Hunger hasn't been too bad though it's been emotionally much rougher than I realized. But, I am so done with Protein Shakes, I feel like if I drink another one I'll puke. So my question is, how important is the Protein at this stage if it's just to shrink my liver? Wouldn't just eating nothing also work? Because at this point that sounds like a better alternative.

The liver shrinks by lack of sugar/fats.

The Protein is to help you keep your muscle mass.. If you lose muscle (alongside fat), then your metabolic rate decreases, and you lose less and less weight.

Another goal of the liquid diet is to get your body (and you) prepared for what comes after surgery (clear liquids, full liquids, puree, etc)..

Try switching the shakes you are drinking. At first I liked the Peanut Butter from Permier Protein, but after 2 days I couldn't stand it. End up with plain vanilla. Tried the oens from Fairlife.. too sweet for me..

Search in the forums, there are lots of ideas on how to deal with this (add whey protein to broth, etc), depends on what your diet allows.

Ask your team if you can just mix Protein Powder on Soup or something else you can eat.

I'm on day 3 of my 2 week liquid pre-op diet before the sleeve. Hunger hasn't been too bad though it's been emotionally much rougher than I realized. But, I am so done with Protein Shakes, I feel like if I drink another one I'll puke. So my question is, how important is the Protein at this stage if it's just to shrink my liver? Wouldn't just eating nothing also work? Because at this point that sounds like a better alternative.

I had my RYN on Nov 1st. I cheated on my liquid diet everyday. I had soda crackers, burger patty, etc. But no other drink besides Water and ate once a day, and made it, and lost 10lbs in the one week liquid diet. My surgeon said my surgery was great no issues. And now that i depend on Protein Drinks, its a new thing and like it. Yes, your hungry flies out the window, so have to keep on top of your liquids. Yesterday i had "fairlife straberry and bannas" shake, and i fell so deep in love. It tastes just like a milkshake and drank the whole thing under an hour. And tolerated well. You will know when you are "full" because when you feel like something is stuck in your throat, then you stop and wait for it to pass. Since my surgery date today, lost 7lbs.
Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G973U using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks for the advice, I'll try to find some different Protein Shakes to try and I am allowed pureed Soups so I might look for a couple of those

1 minute ago, lydiaire said:

Thanks for the advice, I'll try to find some different Protein Shakes to try and I am allowed pureed Soups so I might look for a couple of those

Yea. You just add unflavored Protein powder to the Soups.

Protein is important for the rest of your life. Everyone should be eating protein regardless if they are bariatric patients or not. Your body needs it for healing, muscle & bone health, digestion, … https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/functions-of-protein#TOC_TITLE_HDR_9 The daily recommended amount is 0.8g per kilogram for a non bariatric patient. (I’m required to reach 1.2g of protein per kg of weight in maintenance.)

My surgeon was ok if I didn’t meet my protein goals each day to begin as long as I was making an effort to be close. It gets easier when you can eat more.

If you can’t tolerate the shakes try Bone Broth, well strained cream Soups or consumes, wonton Soup broth (no wontons or vegetables of course). I struggled with shakes too so would dilute them & just rode out one a day for the two weeks.